Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT with no experience?

• 02-08-2011 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey people,

I am another newbie that needs some advice. I have never been on a bike so want to get lessons first. Would I be able to do the IBT having never sat on a bike? Or would a few hours of lessons be necessary first?

And what about doing a foundation course? At €800+ it's kind of expensive, are one on one lessons better?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

The IBT is designed for folk like yourself, who are new to biking. It should certainly get you started without having to take lessons first.

Have a look at this post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73224244&postcount=1 it goes through the modules of the IBT and as you can see it assumes no prior knowledge (apart from the theory test I guess, which you'll already have done).

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chelikescake

Thanks gipi, I was under the illusion that it was possible to fail and didn't want to waste €400ish but yeah from that link it looks like it's set out for beginners so off to book it now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Complete novice here who found that the IBT was a great introduction to biking. Enjoyed it immensely..even if I was OTT cautious/slow!

Hey ForegoneReality, was it a pass/fail basis? And what kind of standard were you at after doing the IBT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hey ForegoneReality, was it a pass/fail basis? And what kind of standard were you at after doing the IBT?

I had never ridden a "proper" bike before doing the IBT a few weeks ago, though I'd been driving a car for years and had ridden 50cc twist and go scooters a lot.

I think in theory the IBT is pass/fail in that you have some questions to answer during M1 and basic skills to master on the bike (starting, stopping, slow control) but you have plenty of time and I have never heard of anyone failing it.

In terms of your standard after IBT I think that will depend. Not an obvious danger to yourself or others but with a lot to learn probably sums it up. That said I'm on my bike almost every day now and steadily building confidence.

Less worry, more biking needed for you I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Amadeus is on the ball here OP. I did the IBT in Waterford where I was given a booklet that outlines the 'modules' that I had to 'satisfactorily complete'. The instructor told me that it's basically a case of you passing once you show that you're applying what you've learned and basically aren't behaving in any careless/dangerous way whilst on the bike. Other than that it's plain sailing.

It took me all of the first day to figure out how to change the gear correctly without causing the bike to jump all over the place. I couldn't even contemplate the slalom. I got my head around it all on Day 2 however. Like a car it 'clicks' in your mind and you'll find that once you finish it you'll have a very basic knowledge of bike riding. As Amadeus points out you won't feel like you could win a GP but you'll have enough confidence to tackle into riding in your own time.

It's been two months since my IBT and I decided to hit the same coastal road we were taken on during day 2 and I was much more competent this time than I was last time around. It's the confidence to bend into the turns that gets me..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

OP, what prices have you been quoted to do the IBT?

RosieJoe wrote: »
    OP, what prices have you been quoted to do the IBT?

Got one for €450, most about €600 but from reading other threads, it seems like it’s possible to get it for about €300 if there are 2 people. Will look into it more this month. In no rush as haven’t time to do it til September.

Not an obvious danger to yourself or others

Glad to hear the IBT gets you up to that kind of level. I don’t know anyone with a bike or that can even ride so will be doing all the learning on my own :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

My father just did his last week with a fella called mick finlay (in Dublin) for €400. Couldn't rate him high enough

My father just did his last week with a fella called mick finlay (in Dublin) for €400. Couldn't rate him high enough

• Advertisement

Syllabus wrote: »

Thanks Mick :D Will definitely shop around!

Thanks Mick :D Will definitely shop around!

i'm niall:confused:

i'm niall:confused:

Only joking Syllabus :) Did your father have his own bike for the IBT?

Only joking Syllabus :) Did your father have his own bike for the IBT?

he did

223819_2148992517140_1016131272_2427436_2674354_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

+1

I did my IBT with Mick and I can't say enough about the man. He is really a gent with a passion for motorbikes and a great sense of humor.

I did not have my bike but Mike has Honda Varadero 125 for the start and than Kawasaki Er5 for the second day.

I would recommend Mick to anyone.

Advertisement