Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick the week before my holidays?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi all,

I am due to take my holidays from work next week, I am taking my 4 weeks together to go travelling for a month.

unfortunately i have fallen ill this week with a chest n throat infection, n the doctor has advised me and proivided a note and explanation to rest from work to be healthy enough to travel.

I handed this note into work, which coivers me for three days up until the start of my holidays.Work have since told me that because I am sick i am not entitrled to my holiday pay this week and if i need it i will have to work!

Is this allowed or make sense to you?

any help appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

the days you were on sick leave, were you supposed to be working or on leave?

TBH, it's all here in black and white http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/sick_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, this is not allowed.

Your employer does not have to pay you for the days that you are out sick, however it is illegal to refuse to pay you for holidays in lieu of sick days.

You're not entitled to holiday pay this week (as you're supposed to be working, right?) so I don't fully understand what your employer is threatening to withold from you/

Advertisement