Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k to half marathon

Options
  • 02-08-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there tried posting this earlier and it went AWOL so here goes again!
    So I started running for first time EVERY last march done my first 10k in may finished in 1.20 then balla couple weeks ago in 1.08 so 12 mins off in 12 weeks ok no record breaking times but seen as couch to fridge was only exercise year ago it's a start! so my thing is the group I train with are talking about doing the Dublin half marathon am I mad to think this is achievable we currently get out 3 times a week 7/8/10 k runs tomorrow is a 7 mile run and plan is to add a mile a week and be up to 11/12 miles about 2 wks before the races is this realistic and if so anyone got any advice /tips / pointers on training r rest r diet r anything that will make this doable !!!!
    Been lurking for ages and find ye all a vault of information so thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That's an excellent improvement in a short space of time and on a tough course in Balla - well done!
    A lot of people will be doing the 10 miler in the Phoenix Park in advance of the Half Marathon, but it may be a push if you're coming from the West. However if you are from Mayo it'll be the day before the All Ireland Semi Final vs Kerry so could make a weekend out of it! (Up Mayo! Also, Ireland are playing France in the Rugby on the Saturday evening)
    You could probably complete this race between the training you have now and over the next couple of weeks. However if you do decide to do it maybe just concentrate on getting round and finishing. This would leave you in a better position to contemplate the HM a month later as you'd have done close to the distance and you'd know what it felt like.

I'd say go for it as you seem to be improving at a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 giz1

Hi thanks for that balcarra u seem to b great source of info got great detailed breakdown of the balla route off u few weeks ago we did our 7 mile run tonight just under 1.20 not great time but felt I could have kept going for another bit when we were nearing home so happy with that
    going to sign up for dub half and aim to complete it sure any time is a personal best can always work on beating the time on next one afraid I can't commit to the 10 miler as have other obligations that weekend

Advertisement