Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA. Did anyone get a reply?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

tsoparno wrote: »
    i applied 2/3 wks ago as a mature student and applied to the vec for the student charges and tution fee's. the vec ring me almost straight away and tell me they can't process my claim until i get a letter to say that i've being approved for the BTEA so now i've to sit and wait for the SWO to process that and hope they dont leave it till the end of august cause there'll be a serious panic on at that stage as to weather i'll be goin to college or not

contact your local politician
    you cant be approved for the BTEA until you register with your college.
    To register you need to pay the fees.

if you are entitled to free fees, you ll be refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

B1977 wrote: »
    contact your local politician
    you cant be approved for the BTEA until you register with your college.
    To register you need to pay the fees.

if you are entitled to free fees, you ll be refunded

are you sure bout this i've been told that SW will send me a letter to say i've being approved for BTEA which then you send to VEC to claim for the fee's part of the grant.then when you reg. in college you go back to SWO with proof of reg. and they then transfer JB to BTEA.
    i'm saying that you can get approval first and then finalise it with form filled in at college.correct me if i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

I dropped my application in with my local SW office which is Portlaoise, but is there a central processing office etc?

Thanks

Partay Pooper

I dropped my application in with my local SW office which is Portlaoise, but is there a central processing office etc?

Thanks

Partay Pooper

from what i can make out there's a couple of sorting areas for this not to say portlaoise isn't the sorting office for your claim

from what i can make out there's a couple of sorting areas for this not to say portlaoise isn't the sorting office for your claim

Cheers I might just ring them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

partay pooper my local SW office is Rathdowney where I dropped in my application last week. Got a letter today from a Dept. in Kilkenny that approved my BTEA. Hope this helps and good luck to all who have applied for it!

Dien wrote: »
    partay pooper my local SW office is Rathdowney where I dropped in my application last week. Got a letter today from a Dept. in Kilkenny that approved my BTEA. Hope this helps and good luck to all who have applied for it!

Dropped in mine last thursday so might take a week or so more. Thanks for letting me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Anyone in galway hear anything yet?

Im still waiting. I had the form in 5 weeks ago. I called into them the week before last and was told that they started processing them the same week and i just have to wait.

Sersiously how long does it take to open an envelope and decide? And just in case my one was at the bottom of the pile from 5 weeks ago, i sent in another one last week. They should have opened it up once it arrived by post on tuesday, you would think?

I cant wait any longer, its a joke by now. Im starting on the 12th of september and i dont know where the money is going to come from. I need to sort out accommodation at the other side of the country.

And if they decide im not entitled to it, i need a loan. But i should be applying this week instead of applying the week before the course starts. I should have accommodation sorted by then.

What do i do? Has anyone any advice?

dont really have any advice for you sorry,but i'd handed mine in 4 wks ago no word from them so rang them last wk they told me they wouldn't be looked at till the end of the month,which is no good for me as i need approval letter to send to the VEC.
    i explained all this and a girl in the office who i was put onto told me she looks after the applications in the sorting office and that she would have a look at it the following day as i think she understood that i needed this form.
    the regular girls in the office didn't seem to understand this, anyway she did rang me back the following day as promised and told me she couldn't she any problem with the app and that she'd post it out to monday(today)so i'm waiting now.
    hopefully this will end my waiting game because its seriously frustrating.

can someone set me straight i think i automatically get my tution fee's paid when the BTEA is granted so i think i'm applying to the VEC for the reg fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

i've been told that SW will send me a letter to say i've being approved for BTEA which then you send to VEC to claim for the fee's part of the grant.then when you reg. in college you go back to SWO with proof of reg. and they then transfer JB to BTEA.
    i'm saying that you can get approval first and then finalise it with form filled in at college.correct me if i'm wrong

Yes, this seems right. I've been approved for BTEA by SW, now i've sent that approval letter on to my VEC. If i'm approved by the VEC and they pay fees then the last step will be a Letter of Registration from the college for the SW and they'll switch me to BTEA.

I expect people will hear from the SW before the VECs. I was told this morning that my grant application for fees hasn't been looked at yet. I'm in Meath.

• Advertisement

@ posada when you say fee's do you mean registration fee's because the terminolgy is so confusing.
    would it be fair to say that we will know one way or the other what we're entitled to before we start college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Anyone in galway hear anything yet?

Im still waiting. I had the form in 5 weeks ago. I called into them the week before last and was told that they started processing them the same week and i just have to wait.

Sersiously how long does it take to open an envelope and decide? And just in case my one was at the bottom of the pile from 5 weeks ago, i sent in another one last week. They should have opened it up once it arrived by post on tuesday, you would think?

I cant wait any longer, its a joke by now. Im starting on the 12th of september and i dont know where the money is going to come from. I need to sort out accommodation at the other side of the country.

And if they decide im not entitled to it, i need a loan. But i should be applying this week instead of applying the week before the course starts. I should have accommodation sorted by then.

What do i do? Has anyone any advice?

Relax sometimes you can be in the position where your waiting till late september. Youle know when your on it you get a letter a week later your on the bte, a week later the money will be payed into your account... Genrally if you've been on long term unemployment they will put you on it and gernally it looks better for the, social :)

oule recieive a book allowence mid end of october of 500 euros...

I would just like to point out, that in june 11,000 people signed on the dole in june as a jas they were all mature students and in september itle go down 15.000 or something .....

My advice is sit tight if you want to set up a place in dublin well then go for it.. tho taking a lone out could be a bit crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Hi Guys,

I've applied for BTEA and just got a reg pack from my college today, and will drop a copy in to my local sw office.My worry is that i have to start on sept 8th and a in the pack i recieved there was an invoice for the 2000 and a giro, i have applied for the fees grant but as of yet there is no reply, and now i'm getting worried as i only have a few weeks left, is this normal? and should i just sit tight and stop worrying?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Last Wednesday I handed in my btea forms, yesterday I got my acceptance.

I've applied online for the tuition fees grant but this far have only got an email back telling me to await further instructions. Is this the same for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

bc dub wrote: »
    Last Wednesday I handed in my btea forms, yesterday I got my acceptance.

I've applied online for the tuition fees grant but this far have only got an email back telling me to await further instructions. Is this the same for everyone else?

Yes same for me, i got BTEA acceptance today, i contacted the VEC and was told they can't give a time frame for completion of the grant application and to inform my college that i had applied for the grant on reg day.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Just something to watch out for, or maybe I've been unlucky with timing.

I went to sign on today, but at the usual hatch I was told I'm gone off their system, as I was already accepted for the BETA a few weeks back. Went to the schemes hatch and was told that I won't have to sign again for the rest of the year. Only thing is I'm not registering in college until later this week, and havent got a letter to drop into the SW office until I do so. So it looks like I may be a week or 2 without payment, unless theres a payment for me in the post office this week. The woman at the hatch didn't know if there would be or not.

ratedR wrote: »
    Just something to watch out for, or maybe I've been unlucky with timing.

I went to sign on today, but at the usual hatch I was told I'm gone off their system, as I was already accepted for the BETA a few weeks back. Went to the schemes hatch and was told that I won't have to sign again for the rest of the year. Only thing is I'm not registering in college until later this week, and havent got a letter to drop into the SW office until I do so. So it looks like I may be a week or 2 without payment, unless theres a payment for me in the post office this week. The woman at the hatch didn't know if there would be or not.

very strange that,especailly as you haven't dropped in the reg. letter

very strange that,especailly as you haven't dropped in the reg. letter

Indeed, they seemed to have taken my word that I'm actually going to do the course without any proper confirmation and taken me off JSA. I was told the move over to BTEA would be seamless, but obviously not.
    I can't really complain I suppose, I'm going to college and getting full dole without the hassle of signing on or having to collect money in the post office. But they didn't seem too concerned that I may be without money for a week or two.

dont think ya'll be without money it'll prob be in the bank for ya,haven't heard of any people having probs that way.
    looks like they could be trying to reduce the JSA numbers a little faster than normal.:)(also known by fans of the wire as"duking the stats")

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

dont think ya'll be without money it'll prob be in the bank for ya,haven't heard of any people having probs that way.
    looks like they could be trying to reduce the JSA numbers a little faster than normal.:)(also known by fans of the wire as"duking the stats")

Aaw shiiiiiiiiit!! Haha

Ya I'd say it'll be in your bank, if not you'll be backdated as soon as the payment does kick in

• Advertisement

Yep, all sorted. This weeks money was in the post office. Also got a letter from the SW today saying that the payments will be going into the bank from next week onwards. I have until the 14th of October to drop the registration letter from college into the SW office, and wont recireve the €500 until such a time.

Delighted that it's sorted and that I won't have to go near the social for 9 months or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snowy25

Hi everyone

I am starting a course on Monday and I have applied for the BTEA but I have not heard anything from the SW yet.

Should I start the course on Monday without the BTEA being approved yet. I am afraid that I might be cut off and be letting waiting around for weeks for payment.

Is anyone else starting on Monday and have not heard anything?
    What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

snowy25, I'm in the same situation as yourself, starting Tuesday but heard nothing. I went in to sign on Tuesday and was told to start the course and keep collecting my money from the post office until I hear back so I'd say it's the same for you, I'd suggest giving them a ring tomorrow to make sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snowy25

hi dor83 I rang my local SW office thise morning and they said there is a huge back log and thats why I have not heard anything from them. I can start on Monday and then after my first week I have to hand in a letter to the SW stating I am attending the course.

Anyways I will still be getting my jobseekers until I am transferred over to BTEA. Panic over for now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I just submitted my form today, dude said that i'd start getting payments starting from the 12th of this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Well i dont know what to do. I have a couple of posts on here about waiting for the BTEA. I have called into them loads of times, telling them that i need an answer as im starting next week. I dont even have accommodation sorted. I even told them i needed a letter or the bank wont give me a loan. I have made up loads of excuses. I was told just to wait. And i can still continue to collect the dole until i hear back. Even i told them, im moving and at least they have decided to pay me the dole through the bank account. But i still have to wait.

I have decided to go and do the first couple of weeks and until i do hear back. If i get the BTEA, il be in the right place.
    But if i dont get it, i would have to drop out. Or at least i think it might be the best option. I do have a bit of savings left but not enough to see me through the year (until xmas). The way how i see it is if i use up my savings, and drop out, il be left with nothing. Would i be better of dropping out early, signing on the dole and keep the savings (well i was thinking of getting a car).

If i drop out, i need to find work. I have an assessment already tomorrow for a temporary position. I dont know should i go through with it or not. If i do a couple of weeks in college and then get bad news that im not entitled to the BTEA, drop out, this position will be gone.

Sersiously what's wrong with the social welfare. Why cant they let people know where they stand.

I dont know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

If you have still no word, You need to speak to the facilitator in your local social welfare office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Hi Hard Luck,its the same story all over the country.There are thousands of people in the same boat.Having to pay fees upfront this week without knowing if BTEA,VEC,VTOS etc has been granted!!!!!!!!
    Its crazy,having to pay course,reg fees and dole office not replying.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

Hi I was approved for btea ages ago, I have registered with college and I sent them the official registrars letter, and I have been waiting on a letter to tell me when I will be paid. So I got tired of waiting today and called Hannover street, (021) 4806800, got through to special schemes after ten minutes on hold.
    So I spoke to a girl (sounded annoyed that I dare call her:eek:)..public servant ring a bell miss?!?...anyway eventually i dragged it out of her that they were waiting on my last old payment to issue before they would start paying my btea into my account. To which i replied that was last week!! :mad:
    So she said that I'll get paid from next Thursday apparently. We will wait and see. They should have started processing my payment last week, but obviously didn't and they are doing it now (i hope) after I got onto them.

My advice if you are waiting for a letter like me, call them and don't wait, all she kept saying was we are so busy. Like that's my problem, I have my own to deal with. It's their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

You would not believe the hassle I had to go through to get a sufficient letter for my Book Allowance.:(

Went to the college and told them I needed a letter confirming my regrestration and that I'm a full time student. They gave me a generic one where they put in my name and tick the box of my degree course. I brought it to my S.Welfare office and was promptly told that it wasn't good enough.

Went back to student services and explained to the nice lady who was kind enough to read the letter and see what they were looking for that wasn't on the generic one. She then typed me out a new letter and I drove home (college and home are 45mins drive away) and was told that this new letter wasn't right either. :mad::mad::mad: It did not say 'attending' on it.

So had to go back to college and get the lady to write it out again with the added word. I lobbed it in my SWO's letterbox and didn't even check that its ok.

1. Student services lady told me that no other S.W had said that their generic letter wasn't good enough.
    2. Attending? Are they serious? Sure it's college. How would the college know I'm attending? That's why they don't say it on their generic letter.
    3. One word. I had to go back just so I could get one extra word on the letter? Bull.

I am so mad. :mad:

Advertisement