Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some extra cash

• 02-08-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Just a quick question. Hoping to make some extra money. Have a part time job at the moment. Have two uncles that have farms. Was just wondering would there be much money if I invested in some livestock (if so which are the best)..and leave them on either or farm?? Would there be much extra cash per head out of doing this ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have you seen the price of cattle lately.... dont see this as being a profit making idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

would you have to pay the uncles for grazing / winter housing? if not, you might be onto something

a relation of mine had a great herd of pedigree cows , then his brothers started buying stock here there and everywhere and getting the brother to look after them, and not paying for their keep , now he has no farm , no stock and no house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

corkcomp wrote: »
    would you have to pay the uncles for grazing / winter housing? if not, you might be onto something

No..I help him each year with what ever needs being done..Would you think there would be any money in it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

trepasers wrote: »
    No..I help him each year with what ever needs being done..Would you think there would be any money in it :/

This year isn't the year to go trying it!

Fair exchange is no robbery. If your helping him out and possibly receving no monetary payment, then I couldn't see how they wouldn't be open to it.

If you've a good trusting relationship between yourself and your uncle(s), then perhaps next year you could buy one or two weanlings. They'I have to be bought in your uncle's herd number though, so techically they'd be his (this is where the trust element comes in!):rolleyes:

It'd be a good way for you to cut your teeth on the whole farming game with minimal outlay.

Be fair though. If your uncles say they're tight on grass, you may have to sell them on quicker than you'd like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Well if your getting free board for the cattle then for sure you`ll make money.Put it this way its better than leaving your money in the AIB for twelve months.
    I wouldn't go buying any big cattle 12 months+ as they are quiet dear and would use up more feed which might not be appreciated by your uncle ;).
    The easiest to start with would be runner weanling's about 4-6 months old and pay up to 600 euro for them if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Personally I'd run it by the uncle's before i'd think about making money. No point in getting yourself all excited about making money (potentially) if they aren't going to play ball

If they are agreeable then you'll make money if your not paying your uncles any upkeep or rent money. If your paying rent and/or upkeep then you won't make much

Muckit wrote: »
    This year isn't the year to go trying it!

Fair exchange is no robbery. If your helping him out and possibly receving no monetary payment, then I couldn't see how they wouldn't be open to it.

If you've a good trusting relationship between yourself and your uncle(s), then perhaps next year you could buy one or two weanlings. They'I have to be bought in your uncle's herd number though, so techically they'd be his (this is where the trust element comes in!):rolleyes:

It'd be a good way for you to cut your teeth on the whole farming game with minimal outlay.

Be fair though. If your uncles say they're tight on grass, you may have to sell them on quicker than you'd like

Ah no I have been helping the uncle since I was a wee lad...no payment involved...just always enjoyed farming. I would by them myself only for I have no herd number but im sure i can trust him ;)
    Grecco wrote: »
    Well if your getting free board for the cattle then for sure you`ll make money.Put it this way its better than leaving your money in the AIB for twelve months.
    I wouldn't go buying any big cattle 12 months+ as they are quiet dear and would use up more feed which might not be appreciated by your uncle ;).
    The easiest to start with would be runner weanling's about 4-6 months old and pay up to 600 euro for them if possible.

Thanks for the reply... Just wondering when abouts would be the best time to buy them as weanling`s??.....Do they need to be fed mocch meal ?:confused:
    Tipp Man wrote: »
    Personally I'd run it by the uncle's before i'd think about making money. No point in getting yourself all excited about making money (potentially) if they aren't going to play ball

If they are agreeable then you'll make money if your not paying your uncles any upkeep or rent money. If your paying rent and/or upkeep then you won't make much

Ah no im well in with the uncles...Thats the least of my worries...what stock to get would be more on my mind :)...most of his herd are sailors .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

most of his herd are sailors

... with a cow in every port no doubt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thanks for the reply... Just wondering when abouts would be the best time to buy them as weanling`s??.....Do they need to be fed mocch meal ?:confused:

There isn't much supply at the moment, the best time to buy them is late October until mid December thats when the supply is the greatest and you will pay the market rate. So you have a few weeks to wait if your going that route.
    They should get 1kg of 16% protein meal with fine Hay or good silage per day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How would the uncle feel about you buying in cull cows?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

cant see there being a problem??

blue5000 wrote: »
    would culls not be more work? bad feet / mastitis etc

Advertisement