Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare: why isn't it bypassed & pedestrianised?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tobleronemad

stock> wrote: »
    With the road works at the lantern lodge today the traffic was a nightmare badly needs the bypass to be looked at seriously......................

Why can't these road works happen at night?

stock> wrote: »
    With the road works at the lantern lodge today the traffic was a nightmare badly needs the bypass to be looked at seriously......................

I still can't get the answer from ABP. Dunno why :-(

The traffic system they have in operation for the roadworks is an absolute joke. No lights or proper temp road lay-out. Spent 20 mins getting from the Dunraven entrance to the Woodlands roundabout today. They seem to leave 100's of the cars from the Limerick side through in one go and then 15 to 20 cars from the Adare side so you're sitting there for ages! Was going for an interview today and left NCW a good bit early just in case (good thing I did) and just about got to it on time. Roll on the bypass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heading out to Rathkeale this evening,whats the story with roadworks?Will I be better off going via Foynes road?

shaaane wrote: »
    The traffic system they have in operation for the roadworks is an absolute joke. No lights or proper temp road lay-out. Spent 20 mins getting from the Dunraven entrance to the Woodlands roundabout today. They seem to leave 100's of the cars from the Limerick side through in one go and then 15 to 20 cars from the Adare side so you're sitting there for ages! Was going for an interview today and left NCW a good bit early just in case (good thing I did) and just about got to it on time. Roll on the bypass!!

The longer the time goes on the less likely I think that this is going to happen anytime soon. I actually think ABP will not confirm the cpo and start off the whole process again. Jobs for the boys etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

anyone know if these roadworks going on over the weekend too ? Saturdays can be a bit of a nightmare at best of times if there is a wedding on or a sunny day bringing out the tourists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

panda100 wrote: »
    Heading out to Rathkeale this evening,whats the story with roadworks?Will I be better off going via Foynes road?

There's roadworks on the road between Mungret and Kildimo as well but they're not as bad as Adare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

adaminho wrote: »
    There's roadworks on the road between Mungret and Kildimo as well but they're not as bad as Adare.

I think that's finished now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Cost for the workers surely? I'd imagine the hourly wage goes way up if you're asking fellas to work nights?

Anyone know the outcome of ABP's decision on the bypass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

There was many attempts over the decades for bypass of Adare. When Rathkeale and Croagh was bypass, Adare was meant to be next, but Locals caused an uproar then. During the Boom years Traffic killed Adare from a tourism point of view. With less traffic in Adare it would be a great village to cross the road safely, the council eventually introduce two pedestrian crossing and you are taking your life into drivers here if they bother to stop. One near the Boys Primary School and the other near the post office.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/no-decision-on-adare-by-pass-as-limerick-county-council-awaits-decision-1-4201614
    Dáil Eireann

28/Jan/2010

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2010/01/28/printall.asp
    I want to raise the issue of Adare, which has a very good tourism product, but could be improved immensely if a bypass was built. If one stands at the Dunraven Arms most days and looks down towards the road, all one will see are trucks and cars. I went to take a photograph there a number of years ago at 11 a.m. and I had to go away. One could not take a photograph of the village as all the cars and heavy traffic destroyed it — I took it at 7 o’clock one morning as there was less traffic. It would be of enormous benefit to the region. It is 25 years since the first line was drawn for the bypass of Adare and four have been drawn since then. I often felt like researching the cost in terms of drawing four different lines for the route for the Adare bypass.
    Dan Neville was a county Councillor for Limerick County Council for many years before he was force to give it up the Dual mandate as he was a sitting deputy in the Dáil.

It been roughly 27 Years, most of that was objections by Locals, and more objections by Locals again. So A decision by Board pleanta for the Road bypass would be a miracle by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

adaminho wrote: »

I'm not sure what roadworks you're talking about the the 2 that I know of are the roadworks in Mungret village and they wont really cause a problem as you can use the N69, further out I think the roadworks are at Bolane turn which is at the far side of Kildimo.

If using the N69 as a detour to Adare you should turn off at the junction at the Limerick side of Kildimo.

phog wrote: »

I'm not sure what roadworks you're talking about the the 2 that I know of are the roadworks in Mungret village and they wont really cause a problem as you can use the N69, further out I think the roadworks are at Bolane turn which is at the far side of Kildimo.

If using the N69 as a detour to Adare you should turn off at the junction at the Limerick side of Kildimo.

ABP has not allowed the bypass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smilerme

An Bord Pleanala reason for rejection is that "it would constitute isolated infrastructure, would not represent a coherent approach to the provision of major roads infrastructutre and furthermore would not have the potential to fulfill the functuions of the Scheme".

So the Board concludes that the scheme functions wouldn't be met. The scheme functions were:

(1) Remove a major bottleneck thereby improving economic efficiency and journey time reliability,

(2) Improve safety for all road users

(3) Divert traffic away from town centre

(4) Improve the town environment for residents, businesses & tourists

(5) Facilitate the expansion of the tourist / retail / industrial sectors in Adare.

A truely daming inditement of the scheme if the Board considers those functions couldn't be met. Clearly the Board thought the route didn't work at all.

The Board Direction notes that "The Board was not satisfied that the Route chosen (Blue Route) for bypassing the town was necessarily the optimum solution."

It goes on to state that "should a revised application be made in the future, consideration might be given to a further assessment of alternative routes"

So clearly the Board thought that the wrong route was chosen. Adare needs a bypass so LCC should just have run with their previously chosen route in 2005 & it would be built & in operation at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

At this stage I can't see anything being done til the M20 construction where it will piggy back on that scheme, 2023 at the earliest says Leo Varadkar.

Another decade of tailbacks to look forward to, oh joy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What does everyone think of the new traffic calming measures in place around Croagh? To me, they don't really make any sense. The N21 bypasses Croagh, and so I don't see why acrs must slow down from 100 to 60 on a major road.Its also incredibly narrow,with all the little islands they've put in the road. The whole project just seems a massive waste, and should have been put towards bypassing adare imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

What does everyone think of the new traffic calming measures in place around Croagh? To me, they don't really make any sense. The N21 bypasses Croagh, and so I don't see why acrs must slow down from 100 to 60 on a major road.Its also incredibly narrow,with all the little islands they've put in the road. The whole project just seems a massive waste, and should have been put towards bypassing adare imo.

An absolute disaster. Now we have a narrow road, and giant footpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

but then that would be the proper thing to do would it not. aslo please remember that tds and councillers have to collect kudos for this type of brain fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't driven it recently but I never liked the bypass, exits not signposted early enough, no place for cars turning right, road not suitable for overtaking, etc, etc. By the sounds of things they've managed to make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smilerme

I agree totally that they are completely crazy. Now it is dangerously narrow plus I find it hard to figure out which of the 3 entrance / exits to Croagh are now one way or two way! I normally go there at night to the music school & I think I may have gone up a one way although there were no signs saying it was but it was shaped as if it was (which I discovered after I turned off the N21 & was aleady on it)!
    Worse the whole project took about 4 months to complete so I'd hate to think what it cost - probably enough to build an Adare bypass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gVW-YAQCSVs Could this be an interim solution for Adare? I really like the concept.

Advertisement