Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT questions, very confused!!

• 03-08-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Here`s the background, im hopefully buying a new bike from the north this week , its a 2008 GSXR 600 with 750 miles on the clock (very low i know , it was an unused present). so here`s a couple of questions for those of you in the know.

1. can i ride it on NI plates until i pay thr VRT?

2. as it only has 750 miles on it will they still class it as a second hand bike.

3. if not how much is the VAT payable on a bike like that.

Im starting to panic a bit as i have everything ready to go, all i have to do is collect but if the VRT and VAT is more than i origonally thought it isnt going to be worth my time .Cheers for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

1. can i ride it on NI plates until i pay thr VRT? You will have a number of days (30 I think) to get everything sorted with regards to VRT)

2. as it only has 750 miles on it will they still class it as a second hand bike. As it is below 6000 KM's you will need to pay VAT, see below

3. if not how much is the VAT payable on a bike like that. VAT at 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

jameshayes wrote: »
    1. can i ride it on NI plates until i pay thr VRT? You will have a number of days (30 I think) to get everything sorted with regards to VRT)

2. as it only has 750 miles on it will they still class it as a second hand bike. As it is below 6000 KM's you will need to pay VAT, see below

3. if not how much is the VAT payable on a bike like that. VAT at 21%

Cheers for the quick reply, one more for ya what do i calculate the 21% off? what i paid or the book value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Para1 wrote: »
    Cheers for the quick reply, one more for ya what do i calculate the 21% off? what i paid or the book value?

Open market selling price..

well that aint good, so if a bike of the same model but brand new is worth 10,000 that means on top of the VRT i have to pay another 2100 euro :eek: thats just ruined everything!! unless i put up 3000 miles in the 30 days!!!!!!

• Advertisement

well that aint good, so if a bike of the same model but brand new is worth 10,000 that means on top of the VRT i have to pay another 2100 euro :eek: thats just ruined everything!! unless i put up 3000 miles in the 30 days!!!!!!

yup... or figure something else out... change of clocks for example...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I couldn't advise letting the VRT slip your mind for a month or six. That would just be wrong ;)

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I couldn't advise letting the VRT slip your mind for a month or six. That would just be wrong ;)

They already know you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

go on a really looonnnngggggggg spin on it and get the miles on the clock:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It has to be over 6000km to be VAT free, you need to go on a really long spin or get it clocked up*.

*It's not illegal to clock a vehicle, it's illegal it sell without informing the potential owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Actually it's the original price of the vehicle, not the OMSP.

Got a quote for 2.5k to import a bike which I only paid 4.5k for! Worth 6k euro max.

Sold it to someone in the UK in the end after too much hassle to bring it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

do they check milage on bikes

last bike i brought in was 2 years old with about 200 more miles on it than i needed and they never checked

i cdould have just written the appropriate milege on it

but that was before the nct people so mabey get the milege corrected if its no ilegal for the car clocker to do it then 9it cant be illegal for you to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

When you go to VRT the bike and they ask to see the odometer,just say that it stopped
    working coming back from wherever you bought it.Tell them you think there is about
    8000 miles or so on it.
    Just make sure the wires are well hidden from where you disconnected it though.
    No VAT payable then.Worked for me.

Tigger wrote: »
    do they check milage on bikes

last bike i brought in was 2 years old with about 200 more miles on it than i needed and they never checked

i cdould have just written the appropriate milege on it

but that was before the nct people so mabey get the milege corrected if its no ilegal for the car clocker to do it then 9it cant be illegal for you to do it

The NCT shower do it these days. Its either black or white with them. At least you could talk to the customs crowd.

go on a really looonnnngggggggg spin on it and get the miles on the clock:D

:D dont think i put that up on the old bike in the last year!
    decided to go for a K9 instead, insure it and off i go, much easier!

Advertisement