Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need a bar like this in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What I want to know is how did they get any work done with all those machines lying around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was here a few years back. It was class. You could get bags of coins for the games and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

F**k me, now I suddenly want a game of Gauntlet. Spent countless hours and countless money on that in my teenage years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Thats what the lads from gmrfm.com want to do, they're always banging on about it. Great idea but if you put one in the city centre it'd attract the wrong sort of people

Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    Thats what the lads from gmrfm.com want to do, they're always banging on about it. Great idea but if you put one in the city centre it'd attract the wrong sort of people

Modern cabs around Dublin are bad enough, but could you imagine the trolls let loose on classic ones? I'd rather not think about it!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Modern cabs around Dublin are bad enough, but could you imagine the trolls let loose on classic ones? I'd rather not think about it!

Absolutly O1s1n they wouldn't last a second with the degenerates from Dublin City attacking them.
    They would have to have some sort of membership so as not to let the general public in off the street which would sink the business so it transpires that it is an undoable idea:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In fairness, Quirkey's is not even that bad anymore and that's about as central as you get, just the occasional case of a certain subsection of society sinking their week's labour into a fruit machine in the hopes of getting a timeshare in Bulgaria (zing! diplomatic). Where Quirkey's does fail though, is the fact it's got few machines, and those are poorly maintained.The sensor on Silent Hill Arcade just decides to clock off every once in a while.

Well Mr Saturn it is many years since I was in an arcade so maybe things have changed since the last time I experienced the dankness of the good ould arcades.
    Shame Quirkeys hasn't been maintaining its equipment.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's a tip, just nothing compared to its mid-noughties reputation as the premier mugging hotspot in north-central Dublin.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's a tip, just nothing compared to its mid-noughties reputation as the premier mugging hotspot in north-central Dublin.

It would have been the late 90's the last time I was in Quirkeys or any arcade but all my memories of Quirkeys are bad ones, the amount of fights I got into in and around there must be in the hundreds,
    the John Player Blue scabbing, tracksuit wearing baseball cap backwards having pieces of chit that used to frequent those parts put me off arcades, not that I couldn't look after myself it's just the inconvienance of having to deal with pieces of human excramant put me off arcades, well that and home consoles with actual graphics.

• Advertisement

It would have been the late 90's the last time I was in Quirkeys or any arcade but all my memories of Quirkeys are bad ones, the amount of fights I got into in and around there must be in the hundreds,
    the John Player Blue scabbing, tracksuit wearing baseball cap backwards having pieces of chit that used to frequent those parts put me off arcades, not that I couldn't look after myself it's just the inconvienance of having to deal with pieces of human excramant put me off arcades, well that and home consoles with actual graphics.

Ha, the memories. Quirkey's for all its ****tery was mecca to us lads, especially those of us from around Finglas, our local had a Puzzle Bobble housing MVS hogged by the same wheezy smoking guy for years and a SF Alpha cab that was kicked into faultiness by a shower of rotten scummers about a week after it showed up, barely bothered to fix it from what I remember, many lost 50p coins. I mean, I know you'd get stabbed outside Quirkey's but hey, their machines worked. Priorites, lads.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Ha, the memories. Quirkey's for all its ****tery was mecca to us lads, especially those of us from around Finglas, our local had a Puzzle Bobble housing MVS hogged by the same wheezy smoking guy for years and a SF Alpha cab that was kicked into faultiness by a shower of rotten scummers about a week after it showed up, barely bothered to fix it from what I remember, many lost 50p coins. I mean, I know you'd get stabbed outside Quirkey's but hey, their machines worked. Priorites, lads.

You were deprived out in Finglas us ruch southsiders in Tallaght had 3 arcades to choose from all within 10 minutes walking distance, hell we even had the Tallaght leisure centre with all the violence of Quirkeys but on your doorstep

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well if you thought Quirkeys was tough you'd obviously never been to Barney's!
    It did have a really good seelction of games in the early 90's If you didn't mind all the smoke etc!

LoGiE wrote: »
    Well if you thought Quirkeys was tough you'd obviously never been to Barney's!
    It did have a really good seelction of games in the early 90's If you didn't mind all the smoke etc!

Where abouts was Barneys?
    All arcades were dimly lit and extrmely smokey it added to the ambience:pac:

The only arcade I get to go these days is in Bray if I'm out that way. It has a MarioKart arcade cab which is nice but it's getting a bit tatty now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Theirs a multigame cabinet in G&W in malahide, never been plugged in since the place has opened, its still in good nick 2/3years after the place is open, things like this could be done in Ireland, just in the right area :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Where abouts was Barneys?
    All arcades were dimly lit and extrmely smokey it added to the ambience:pac:

The only arcade I get to go these days is in Bray if I'm out that way. It has a MarioKart arcade cab which is nice but it's getting a bit tatty now

OMG where's that, not seen an Mario Kart arcade since i was in Japan 2007!

safetyboy wrote: »
    OMG where's that, not seen an Mario Kart arcade since i was in Japan 2007!

Star Leisure in Bray right on the sea front.
    Myself and my son always play it when we're down that way, great fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

was in Tramore a few weeks back and there is loads of driving cabs down there.
    Mario kart is there too

Master of the Universe

Just booked flights to New York in two weeks. Barcade here I come!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was in Insert Coins in Las Vegas last week for the Evo 2011 Pre-Party.

The place is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That bar was in Chasing Ghosts, your man Robert Mruzcek the "score keeper" guy for twin galaxys was in it in the documentry. if you check the high scores on that page he has the one for star wars.

Edit: im pretty sure it was chasing ghosts anyways. it was one of em.

I was in Insert Coins in Las Vegas last week for the Evo 2011 Pre-Party.

The place is amazing.

Show off:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looks quality Chopper,
    What cabs were the cps2 fighters/SF3 in..
    Booze,birds and games,what more can you ask for

Advertisement