Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Research Funding

Options
  • 03-08-2011 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot here but worth a try.

On condition that I can get it funded I've been offered a project for next year. I'm aware that the Health Research Board offer undergraduate project funding but is anyone aware of any other bodies that offer the same? I have one other potential source within my own college but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Funding might be a bit of a bother seeing as funding is being pulled from left and right. But the best people to ask would be your professors and lectures. The orga that dishes out the most funding would be SFI, plus depending on the project there might be specific socs grants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Funding might be a bit of a bother seeing as funding is being pulled from left and right. But the best people to ask would be your professors and lectures. The orga that dishes out the most funding would be SFI, plus depending on the project there might be specific socs grants...

Yeah I figured as much. I'm planning on applying to stuff left right and centre anyway. One can only hope it pays off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Wellcome trust, the biochemical society, the physiology society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If it's related to a disease sometimes it's worth contacting a related charity such as the Irish cancer society. Write them a nice letter about your proposed research and interest in science and you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

We're finding it hard enough to get funding for our normal research work (I'm lab based, doing virology research). We'd definitely find it hard to secure funding for an undergrad.

But sometimes these things are a matter of luck (ie if you keep asking around, someone may have some spare funds for a small project that they need done). Persistence is the name of the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement