Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturing / assistant lecturing while completing a Masters?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I don't know if I am posting this in the correct forum of not.

I have just accepted a place on a Masters programme in NUIG and I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any possibilty of lecturing / assistant lecturing part-time while completing the Masters.

I have always had an interest in teching & lecturing and would love to gain some experience if possible.

Thanks,

CompGeek.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Most probably not.
    Tutorials are usually taken by PhD students while only a PhD student who almost finished will usually get to lecture. It depends on your subject area and what/how you did in your previous study as well though I guess.........

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Thanks Petethebrick for the reply.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I do have an interest in teaching so I was wondering would I be able to appy for subbing in a Secondary School?

I know that there are mountains of qualified teachers out-there with no work and I certainly wouldn't want to take any jobs away from them.

But I belive the best way of knowing if I would like to be a teacher or not is to actually get some experience of teaching and I see subbing as a good opportunity to do this.

What do my fellow boards members think?

Thanks,
    CompGeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would say there is a chance of you supervising tutorials, depending on the department/subject etc.

Give subbing a shot if you want, you might get lucky and get a place.

If it's money you're looking for, then there's a decent chance of you getting some invigilation time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I don't think you have a great chance of subbing in a secondary school (unless you know the principal of some school). The teaching council act is in being enforced this year which means you must be registered teacher (with the teaching council) in order to be employed by a school. You have to have the dip in education to get registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

Most probably not.
    Tutorials are usually taken by PhD students while only a PhD student who almost finished will usually get to lecture. It depends on your subject area and what/how you did in your previous study as well though I guess.........

I think it also depends on the university or institute. I took on some lab supervision and tutoring work for part time students while doing my masters as I would eventually like to persue a career in lecturing. I was also working full time so I ended up having to give it up after a couple of terms as the workload became too much. If you take on assistant lecturing or tutoring you will have to also make time for going over course work and making sure you understand everything before you give the class. You would be amazed at some of the basics that you might have forgotton over the years :D

But best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

@ Dyl10: Thanks for such an informative reply. In terms of maybe getting some tutorial supervision or doing some invigilating, how would I go about this? (Sorry for all the questions).

@The Body: Thanks for your reply. I am aware that there are alot of qualified teachers who should be in posts of substitution and I certainly (as I have previously mentioned) want to take the jobs away from them.

Unfortunately, I don't have the dip so I'm not approved by the Teaching Council but maybe I could still hand in my CVs' to a few Schools.

@LDJ10: Thanks very much for giving me some information on your experiences. I am working at the moment but like you if I felt that it was all becoming too much I would give up the job, education would become my main focus, without question.

I would love if I got the opportunity to do some assistant lecturing, I don't mind putting in the work in terms of class preparation. As I said in the previous reply, sorry for all the questions but would you have any idea of how I would go about getting some assistant lecturing work?

Thanks to everyone - CompGeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Look at vec websites for nightcourses and send cv's on spec for tutoring positions or watch for ads on the next month. Also look at private course providers, relevant experience, a postgrad and maybe Train the Trainer course is often what they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Thanks!!

Advertisement