Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET'S LOOK AFTER OUR OWN FIRST!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I know I might be skating on thin ice here but what is your opinion on people coming to live in this country with no work and no notion of looking for any either, and claiming as much money from social welfare as they can and giving their three small kids the thumbs up to basically do what they want and fend for themselves???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you can't just come over here and start claiming the dole straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If you enter Ireland from an EU country, you will only be entitled to social welfare after you satisfy the habitual residence rule usually reside here for 2 years and have made Ireland your main centre of interest.

If you enter and claim asylum you are given direct provision that is a room in a hostel usually shared, your meals and €19.60 per week. If your claim is accepted which is less than 10% you are entitled to all the same rights as a citizen. If claim is rejected and subsidiary protection and humanitarian leave rejected a deportation order will issue.

If you enter the country from outside the EU but with valid visa, you may be entitled to social welfare if you lose your job depends on circumstances.

If you enter and remain with out visa no right to claim social welfare.

If you are on a student visa, no rights to social welfare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

How is this a Sligo-specific topic? Should it not be elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How is this a Sligo-specific topic?

Its not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement