Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So What's Your Other Sport?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 4:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what your other sport(s) is. Whether you play it or watch.

Often wondered if anyone else here likes to fly fish or what not.

Tell us about your sport and vote!

If I missed your sport, reply below and let us know.

Slan

What's Your Other Sport(s) 171 votes

Angling
    0%
    Archery
    28%
    Sandy22homerhopfathersymesdavyccbogtealdbrocklandkeeper.243kieranfitzJ.R.RosahaneWitcherbunny shooterChopperdog 2dos29InvincibleiTomflanumclivejfish slapped 48 votes
    Athletics - Running - Triathalon
    5%
    Sparkslandkeeper.243kieranfitzRosahaneHibrionFISMAdev110Longranger 9 votes
    Basketball
    1%
    J. Ramonedev110 2 votes
    Boating - Canoeing - Kayaking - Sailing
    1%
    Sparksthebull09 2 votes
    Bowling
    2%
    ianoomedicmandeerhunter1Feidhlim Dignanpedroeibar1 5 votes
    Boxing, MMA, Ultimate Fighting
    0%
    Cricket
    2%
    ormondpropDusty87NorwayvikingDohnny Jeppdev110 5 votes
    Cycling
    0%
    Darts
    3%
    Traumadocdos29Invinciblemoose112FISMALongranger 6 votes
    Equestrian - Horses - Racing
    2%
    bogtealflanumDusty87ghostmantraclashburke 5 votes
    Football - American
    1%
    RosahaneiTombuckmark 1 3 votes
    Football - Australian
    0%
    Dohnny Jepp 1 vote
    Football - Gaelic
    0%
    Football - Soccer
    5%
    SparksCroppy BoyWitcherendasmail4gunmixerbarcoeDohnny Jeppgarv123Mauser 308clashburke 10 votes
    Golf
    5%
    davyccWitcherthebull09NorwayvikingDohnny Jeppgarv123Justashotgunbuckmark 1HugeCheapskate 9 votes
    Hockey - field, ice
    4%
    TraumadocVegeta.243Scalachidos29iTomSmcgiekermitpwee 8 votes
    Hurling
    0%
    Norwayviking 1 vote
    Motors
    7%
    Croppy BoydavyccLetFlybrianfrancis45thebull09patsatFeidhlim DignanGlensmanmixerbarcoegarv123dev110Shane.sf 12 votes
    Outdoor - hiking - camping
    7%
    TraumadocLB6davyccVegetaiTomclivejGrizzly 45marlin vsHibrioncharlie10rowaDohnny Jepptfox 13 votes
    Paintball
    4%
    Sparksdavycccavan shooterkieranfitzHibrionThomasofmeltfoxLongranger 8 votes
    Racquets - tennis, table,
    0%
    davycc 1 vote
    Rugby
    1%
    walsh.petergarv123 2 votes
    Scuba - Swimming
    9%
    TraumadocCroppy BoyVegetakieranfitzfish slappedormondpropLetFlyknockonDeerspotter4gunComeraghshooterdCorbusDohnny Jepptfoxdev110HugeCheapskate 16 votes
    Other - I can't believe this guy had 24 chances and missed my sport!
    2%
    kieranfitzGrizzly 45robertpattersonknockonTawny Owl 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Got my first road bike 14 years ago, still love them

Have a recession bike now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Just getting into spear fishing. I feel an addiction starting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Darts
    Got my first road bike 14 years ago, still love them
    Have a recession bike now though :(

A road bike? You mean like as opposed to a mountain bike.

Road bike = push bike.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Scuba - Swimming
    Travel the length and breath of Munster nearly every second weekend playing rugby, seriously interferes with my shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Scuba - Swimming
    Shooting
    Mma
    Rugby
    In that order but havent got around to trying out mma or boxing yet and rugby is the one i'm best at so takes up nearly every evening of the week between training gyming and matchs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Running, mostly. Off out for a 10k shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

surfing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Freedive spearfishing been doing it for 20 years now, and Motorcycle racing.
    I used to be a keen angler freshwater/boat/big game but haven't done as much in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

Have taken up field archery for a few months now - hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Paintball
    Played GAA football before we moved (and after we moved, well, wicklow doesn't really do GAA :D ). After that, tried basketball. Meh. Did aikido for five or six years during college at the same time as starting shooting, found it actually helped the shooting quite a bit (and it's great for flexibility and so on). Tried Archery there a year or two ago - lots of fun on a sunny day, not so much on a cold rainy day. Still have the kit, haven't given up on it yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Paintball
    I think I was born holding a fishing rod:) used to fish 7 days a week during my single days(probably why they lasted so long) but since the shooting started I don't get out nearly as much. Used to do a fair bit of mountain biking a good few years ago but got cocky and tried to do a bit of downhill when I really hadn't a clue what I was letting myself in for! A cracked eye socket,cracked jaw,4 broken ribs,6 broken teeth and a hairline skull fracture finished that fantasy:) Didn't lose the nerve,just could never afford to fix the feckin bike:( I still like to cycle,but now it's on flatter ground with my little fella in tow in his trailer. Got into field archery about 3 years ago and still try to do as much as I can,which,also thanks to the shooting isn't as much as I'd like. I still LOVE a bit of stump shooting with the old faithful recurve though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

Archery
    Fishing and tournament casting ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Darts
    Longranger wrote: »
    ...A cracked eye socket,cracked jaw,4 broken ribs,6 broken teeth and a hairline skull fracture finished that fantasy:) ...

Damn! Glad you're still with us!

I love mtb, but never really got solely into pure downhill. Were you wearing a full bucket helmet?

How fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Motors
    Who are the other 2 hurlers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Scuba - Swimming
    Running?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Paintball
    FISMA wrote: »
    Damn! Glad you're still with us!

I love mtb, but never really got solely into pure downhill. Were you wearing a full bucket helmet?

How fast?

Not half as glad as I am:). You'll love this,by the way,I WAS wearing a full helmet but not at the time of the crash. Just had my good old giro road lid on. Not many believe this when they first hear it but I've got witnesses! I was just after cycling down croagh patrick(not from the top,just the base of the cone,I'm not totally mental:)) without incident and got planted by a car about 5 mins after I hit for home! Talk about bum luck eh?!:) As regards what speed I was doing,I can't say as I have no memory whatsoever of it past looking at some insanely hot chick walking by but the guy in the car reckoned if was doing about 40mph. It was my own fault anyway for not paying attention. I was so relieved not to have done it on the mountain though as I was a member of mayo mountain rescue at the time and the lads would be ripping the piss out me to this day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Archery
    I do a bit of fly fishing, trout mainly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I was big into my hurling and Football (Gaelic) when younger. Won a couple of club medals and one county medal. Done martial arts since i was 5 (Tae-Kwon-Do) until i was 21. Got as far as 2nd Degress black belt then done my knee in so that ended that. Got into motorbikes and had one up till 4 years ago. Honda Super Blackbird, bought between myself and the father. God i miss that bike. Still love watching Moto GP.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Scuba - Swimming
    In the summer play a lot of Tag Rugby.
    In the winter I mainly just work on different fitness issues, flexability, strength etc
    Did a good few years of kickboxing in college and after, a bit of MMA stuff too.
    Play golf maybe 2-3 times a year (it shows in my scores)
    Lately I've been surfing when I can get the time.
    Follow F1 and motor racing, only sport I watch on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

practiced shotokan karate for about 8 years, won two munster titles at under 21 level. did a bit of kickboxing for a few years. had to give them both up after I broke my pelvis in a car accident. had just got into shooting before that happened, so now shooting is the only sport I participate in. never had any interest in team sports, I find them incredibly boring compared to martial arts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

TaeKwonDo first Dan, and a dodgy second Dan that I was given but never felt it was deserved :rolleyes:

RITA ITF Dan Grade from Masters Howard and Phelan I was very chuffed about though!

Used to do a lot of snorkel diving and a little scuba, still can't swim though! :eek:

Weight training and dabbled in Jiu Jitsu, Hapkido, Boxing, Kaserashi and Gracie Jitz. and MMA. Spent a while going to seminars with the likes of Mick Coup, hoping to start a Krav Maga class soon.

Other than that, I love shooting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

deep sea fishing since i was a wee boy then triathlon and water polo used to take up all of my time for years. when i wasn't doing that i was driving my motor bike the length and breath of the country to road racing.
    you have no idea of speed until you stand on the side of a narrow side road with 2 or 3 lads on super bikes battling for first place reaching speeds of 200 mph plus:eek:

traveling Europe on my VFR 800 then my super blackbird 1100xx.

now i have a family and kids that are amazing.

now my sport is shooting which i always did but only have my own rifles/shotgun the past 6/7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fresh water fishing.Never could get into the salt water stuff.Found I might as well empty a tackle box worth of kit into the sea and go home.

Flying was great,but OMG the cost!!Everything is starting at a thousand dollars!!! Bunch of screws a thousand dollars,a few washers a thousand dollars.Thats even before you cranked ther prop once!

Scuba diving,is the secondary,getting spoiled nowadays,in the med or troipcs please,this Atlantic malarky is too cold and not much fun as it once was.
    4WD and off roading has its good points as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Motors
    Have been playin sports all my life, played soccer for Limerick at a younger age and have quiet a few medals in hurling,soccer and football for club and school.. Including a munster medal for hurling!

But because of work and collage it's only hurling I play now :(

Also have a civic type r :eek: which takes up quiet a bit of my money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

white water kayaking, downhill mountain biking (lots of visits to a&e) and shotokan karate in my twentys. Still mountain biked through my thirties some karate some indoor soccer at night and a bit of surfing. always played guitar a great way to pass a winters night when the wifes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

foxer3640 wrote: »
    white water kayaking, downhill mountain biking (lots of visits to a&e) and shotokan karate in my twentys. Still mountain biked through my thirties some karate some indoor soccer at night and a bit of surfing. always played guitar a great way to pass a winters night when the wifes away.

Never played Guitar
    But AirGuitar pro ;)

Welcome on Boards by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Golf
    Only started shooting recently so that's really my 'other sport':p

Been airsofting 4 years, played football, gaelic, did a bit of coarse fishing for a few years..and I've been known to occasionally take out the oul push bike to pull a few wheelies..I'm still a teenager for another month so I'm allowed:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Needs some airsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Fishing
    Fly Tying
    Me motorbike 750cc of pure machine;)
    People watching (NO NOT STALKING):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Scuba - Swimming
    Ezridax wrote: »
    Got into motorbikes and had one up till 4 years ago. Honda Super Blackbird, bought between myself and the father. God i miss that bike. Still love watching Moto GP.

Had the older version the CBR 1000F she was unusual in silver and a super bike put 55K on her in 14 months :eek: sold it when I moved to Germany and like you miss her:

9020cbr1000f.jpg

Advertisement