Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob: Nothing sprouts!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Put in 3 different seeds, in 4 different spots , start of June. Pansies, spinach, and sunflower. Not a single one of these seeds has sprouted.

Do I have "Agent Orange fingers"?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Where did you sow them? In the ground or pots or trays? What was the soil like? Have you watered them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

redser7 wrote: »

Where did you sow them?

In the ground or pots or trays?

What was the soil like?

Have you watered them?

Sowed in the garden around the house , seeds straight into ground.

Had a huge crop of sweet-pea in one of these locations last year.

Haven't watered much, live in Dingle, no shortage of heaven-sent moisture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Slugs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Slugs??

Did put down slug pellets when I put the sunflower seeds in. Understand now it may have been to cold for the sunflower, but the pansies and the spinach not sprouting I don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Over a long number of years raising plants, I have found that seed sown into the ground is generally not successful. There are some exceptions, but on the whole I would be inclined to get all the ones you mention to start in controlled conditions - in a seed tray where I can keep an eye on them, then transplanted into either a deeper tray or separate pots, before putting them in the ground. Sunflowers would possibly be an exception.

Mostly these plants have been bred for size or colour or some other benefit, and appreciate a bit of tlc at the early stages. Also the season has not been warm and a bit of warmth at the start is usually the best way to get them going. Then you have slugs, cats, weeds and birds in competition for your seeds and plants.

I would say on this occasion though it is the cool season that is the issue, lots of things have been very slow.

There are some things that have to be sown directly into the garden, mostly root vegetables and some annuals, otherwise, seeds are expensive, I suggest giving them a start in seed trays, covered and somewhere warmish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement