Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Library (James Joyce) Fine

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi.

I borrowed a book from James Joyce back in May. With the renewal option, I'm able to keep it until August 16th.
    However, I'm out of the country at the moment and I won't be back until the first day of term. Hence, I'm pretty aware this will result in a fine for not returning the book on time.
    I have 3 questions :

* Can I keep on paying the fines until I come back to UCD to return the book, or is there a period limit to the fine too ?
    * Is it a big deal to get a fine from UCD ? Like does it have any consequences aside from the loss of money ?
    * Where do I need to pay the fine ? Because I surely can't deal with those library people who will deffo call me " inconsiderate " for not returning the book on time with almost 30 days of delay.
    Is it possible to pay it on the UCD account ?

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to them now and see if you can do an on-line renewal. They might not have a problem unless someone needs the book.

I imagine a library fine only matters if it gets silly, e.g. you keep the only copy of an out-of-print book for serveral months and several people are looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

I've already used all the on-line renewal possibilities (we're allowed to 5 online renewals) so I reached my limit.

And the book is the only copy there is in James Joyce. The other copies are in the Smurfit Library.

But thank you for your help.

That's great then.

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Did you bring the book out of the country with you? If not, is there any way you could get a family member or a friend to drop the book back? Someone else may need to borrow that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

MacieC wrote: »
    Because I surely can't deal with those library people who will deffo call me " inconsiderate " for not returning the book on time with almost 30 days of delay

A) Are you serious?
    B) They would be right.
    C) Of course you have to deal with the library. It is due in the LIBRARY.

• Advertisement

I know they would be right to call me inconsiderate that's the main reason I mentionned it in my original post. But I haven't kept the book for such long period just because I forgot to return it. I needed the book and I still need the book and yes, I took it with me out of the country.

I didn't take the book just so I could penalize other people on purpose. And besides, we're allowed to 5 renwals.

As I said, I'm well-aware I'll have to deal with the library but I'm just trying to avoid the STAFF as I'm pretty sure they will lecture me.

Thank you for your contributions but I am perfectly conscious of being " inconsiderate and selfish even ". However the library didn't create the 5 renewals option for nothing. I still have the right to use that option. I need to return the book on August 16th hence I'm still entitled to keep the book.

Anyway, I'll figure out something to bring it back on time so I won't penalize anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Where do I say anything about you not being entitled to renew it 5 times? I presumed it was obvious I was talking about you having it past the due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

As I said, I'm well-aware I'll have to deal with the library but I'm just trying to avoid the STAFF as I'm pretty sure they will lecture me.

The staff won't care. Infact they'll probably be glad as the fines are one of the Librarys only sources of income. I've paid over 150euros worth of Libro fines in the last 2 years, never had any lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fionnula

I have had to pay my share of over due fees and the librarians always seem quite happy to take my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The staff won't lecture you - they'll just tell you that you owe X amount and then take your money.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

convert wrote: »
    The staff won't lecture you - they'll just tell you that you owe X amount and then take your money.

^ This.

If anybody else was trying to get the book, or it was needed back in the library, you wouldn't have been able to renew it for so long (as it would have been reserved by another user) and the library would have contacted you. So chances are it's entirely unimportant, and not being missed by anybody for the time being.

Whatever the fine is for the 30 days will build up on your account, you'll return the book, and you'll need to pay any fine over €5 before you can borrow from the library again.

Nobody will lecture you or be annoyed at you, you haven't been inconsiderate (just forgetful) and you shouldn't lose any sleep over it.

(edit: Just saw you're going to find a way to return it... Well, that's even better then. Though if you're going to spend a fortune shipping it over from the US or something, maybe email the library and ask if it's necessary? The staff might be able to tell from the records if it's likely to be needed by anyone between now and September, and it might be easier to just bring it in yourself and pay the fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It might be useful op to buy a copy of the book next time, if you find yourself renewing it more than three times then it's worth buying.

Well, I went to buy the book first, but given the price, a fine would be better.

I also thought about shipping it from the US but the book is really heavy so that would cost just the same amount as buying the proper book.

I'll try to ship it as soon as I get home. If I can't, I'll come UCD to return it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

OSI wrote: »
    It's 50c a day up to a max of €50. I believe there are provisions for preventing you from graduating if you have outstanding fines, but I doubt they've ever been enforced.

They notify you, 2 people in my class were notified but you get quite a bit of notice.
    Well, I went to buy the book first, but given the price, a fine would be better.

I also thought about shipping it from the US but the book is really heavy so that would cost just the same amount as buying the proper book.

I'll try to ship it as soon as I get home. If I can't, I'll come UCD to return it.

Try and get it on Amazon or ebay. Got alot of books that way for next to nothing and sold them on for rthe same price I got them if not more.

Advertisement