Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new park on site of kilbarry dump

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hey,

does anyone know whats the story with the new park thats supposed to be opening behind the Kingfisher club in kilbarry on the tramore road. Is it goin to open or what. There was an article on it in the Waterford today a while back about it opening and that work was almost complete. The work finished ages ago and now the gates are locked and the entrance on the road is barricaded with site fencing.

So soes anyone know whats the story here, if ist gonna open or is there some sort of problem.
    I don't like the idea of parents bringing kids to play in a former dump cos there could be anything mixed into the soil - broken glass, needles, chemicals, asbestos. I mean that dump was there long before there were any regulations or environmental protection. It was a lake years ago and the corpo just started dumping stuff in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Should be open already, not sure why its still closed. Wish they'd hurry up and get the lights at kingfisher feckin working though.

Takes a bit of understanding of how landfills are turned into parks tbh.
    You're not gonna have all that stuff mixed in with soil, do you really think they would open a park like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Do you really think they will leave needles etc in the soil. Of all the money they spent, id say 80% of it went towards cleaning the whole area. Stuff degrades too and there are millions of ways to clean the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Maybe the work is done, but they just need to allow the grass and plants to grow a bit, before they let people in?

I'd say they're just waiting for the plants and stuff to grow and look a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ms MEL

It was supposed to open around now but it's been delayed until next year, around Spring I think, to allow plants etc to grow. They missed the growing season this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

As long as it's there, that's the main thing. It's nice to see an illegal dump site turned into an urban getaway. Can't wait to see it when it's open. There was great promise about purpose-built facilities for runners, etc.

jbwan wrote: »
    As long as it's there, that's the main thing. It's nice to see an illegal dump site turned into an urban getaway. Can't wait to see it when it's open. There was great promise about purpose-built facilities for runners, etc.

I thought it was going to be more about nature, with frog ponds and stuff.

I'd imagine a 'wild' park would be far easier to maintain than something like the peoples park.

Also, I mentioned before, I would like a park somewhere with fruit trees, so people can pick them in Autumn.

dayshah wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be more about nature, with frog ponds and stuff.

I'd imagine a 'wild' park would be far easier to maintain than something like the peoples park.

Also, I mentioned before, I would like a park somewhere with fruit trees, so people can pick them in Autumn.

Perhaps I had heard wrong? I understand that it will be more about the wildlife in terms of the landscaping but I thought that I had heard it would include proper tarmac running surfaces and warm-up areas combined with other facilities? As I said, I may be wrong. It would be a pity if it didn't have them TBH considering it would serve a large populous who have no recreation area at that side of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

dayshah wrote: »

And World peace!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Situated to the south of the city and adjacent to Kilbarry Bog which is a proposed Natural Heritage Area the landfill covers an area of approximately 20 hectares. The site is large enough to provide a 2.4 kilometre network of running paths, exercise stations, play areas, wildflower meadows, woodland planting schemes etc. The park will have an ecological focus and provide an aesthetically pleasing and stimulating park environment for the city. Much of the work will take place over the coming months to ensure the park is complete in the autumn.

thats from an extract of whats going to be there apparently from the city council.theyd want to look after it better than they look after the walkway is all i can say.i know theyve cleared it up a bit but its still a disgrace from when we we kids.its no use tarmacing it and putting gravel down if youre gonna leave it all grow overgrown again and just cut the grass on the side once every 3 months or so

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    Situated to the south of the city and adjacent to Kilbarry Bog which is a proposed Natural Heritage Area the landfill covers an area of approximately 20 hectares. The site is large enough to provide a 2.4 kilometre network of running paths, exercise stations, play areas, wildflower meadows, woodland planting schemes etc. The park will have an ecological focus and provide an aesthetically pleasing and stimulating park environment for the city. Much of the work will take place over the coming months to ensure the park is complete in the autumn.

thats from an extract of whats going to be there apparently from the city council.theyd want to look after it better than they look after the walkway is all i can say.i know theyve cleared it up a bit but its still a disgrace from when we we kids.its no use tarmacing it and putting gravel down if youre gonna leave it all grow overgrown again and just cut the grass on the side once every 3 months or so

Cheers for digging that up. Sounds similar to what I heard once too. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Sure they couldnt put frogs in there as the Irish Society for the Protection of Frogs would have a lawsuit for forcing frogs into a dangerous old landfill.....but everyone is welcome to bring their young children in! There's no extra charge for the third eye that may grow into their skulls either!

You can't tell me that an illegal landfill has been completely cleaned up! Go waaaay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

The aerial views of the park that I took just show the soil. There's no growth there yet.

chelloveks wrote: »
    Sure they couldnt put frogs in there as the Irish Society for the Protection of Frogs would have a lawsuit for forcing frogs into a dangerous old landfill.....but everyone is welcome to bring their young children in!

If you don't think its safe don't go there. It will mean more room for me and my frog buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I thought it was going to be more about nature, with frog ponds and stuff

i'd like to see the wildlife there with all that toxic god knows what buried in the soil. Frogs with multiple heads and three eyed fish swimming in ponds of foul smelling lechate.
    This is a good one, its just the perfect excuse for the council to not bother trimming the plants and cutting the grass. Ooooh its a "Wild park". Pleeeeaze. Lazy excuse from a lazy council.
    Also, I mentioned before, I would like a park somewhere with fruit trees, so people can pick them in Autumn
    Bad idea TBH - what if someone got food poisoned by it or if a child eat a poisonous berry by mistake, who would end up being liable for damages. The council could end up getting sued becasue of it. NOT a good idea.
    The shops and all would not agree to it anyway . Bad for business. They would whip up all kinds of stories about health and safety and such,

Anyway do you really want to be eating fruit grown on soil thats been having toxic who knows what being flung into it for the past 40 odd years, i'll pass thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Anyway do you really want to be eating fruit grown on soil thats been having toxic who knows what being flung into it for the past 40 odd years, i'll pass thank you very much.

Did you read the bit that you quoted him on? He said somewhere, not specifically the new park.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

kensutz wrote: »
    Did you read the bit that you quoted him on? He said somewhere, not specifically the new park.:rolleyes:

yeah but i assumed he was implying that the park would be a suitable somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

i'd like to see the wildlife there with all that toxic god knows what buried in the soil. Frogs with multiple heads and three eyed fish swimming in ponds of foul smelling lechate.

There are plenty of examples of former dumps being successfully turned into parks and nature reserves and no sign of three eyed fish anywhere. Chill out man there's no need to be so negative about it

Link

Master I think you're just jumping to huge toxic wasteland conclusions now. Three eye fish? Poisoned fruit and trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Master I think you're just jumping to huge toxic wasteland conclusions now. Three eye fish? Poisoned fruit and trees?

Yes...it's true...I saw it on the Simpsons...mr Burns was behind it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mr556073

I actually work in landscaping and was up their the other day looking around by the looks of it theirs nothing done up their plenty of top-soil up their but its not even level or anything looks like at least another 2 or 3 months before that might even be close....... im not a be-grudger or anything i cant wait to see it myself im just saying is all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Any updates on this? Is there recent photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

management plan here

looking forward to this opening too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

I had a quick sneak in one weekend not so long ago and I have to say Im impressed with the park. There is a 2km loop around the park and its marked every 100metres with various exercise thingys every so often and seats. In the centre of the 2km loop ( the big hill/mound ) are steps and a ramp for buggies/wheelchairs up to the top of the hill. It opens out with a view of the city with places to sit etc. When the growth is in full bloom I think it will be lovely. Its nice for a stroll or a run or even a picnic with kids. There is no lighting whether thats a bad thing or a good thing im not sure. All in all its an impressive park. Hopefully it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

nutzzz123 wrote: »
    I had a quick sneak in one weekend not so long ago and I have to say Im impressed with the park. There is a 2km loop around the park and its marked every 100metres with various exercise thingys every so often and seats. In the centre of the 2km loop ( the big hill/mound ) are steps and a ramp for buggies/wheelchairs up to the top of the hill. It opens out with a view of the city with places to sit etc. When the growth is in full bloom I think it will be lovely. Its nice for a stroll or a run or even a picnic with kids. There is no lighting whether thats a bad thing or a good thing im not sure. All in all its an impressive park. Hopefully it stays that way.

I had a convo with someone working for the wcc ( wasn't city manager or anything do don't quote me)
    Something to do with it being an Eco park prevented lighting from going in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Playground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Ah a park on a 40 year old dump, lovely!

Sure throw a bit of topsoil on it it'll be grand. :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

Have to say i agree with the first poster,

I can just see it now a smoke filled meeting room top shirt buttons open sweat pouring, what are we gonna do with this dump,

I know stick a few trees on it and a track and we'll call it a park,
    Dont be stupid the people wont fall for that, they'll fall for what we tell them to fall for, just tell them theres been a report done its clean and tidy and 40 years later after all that dumping its fine!

What did they do spend a couple of hundred thousand on it and now voila its fine?

Sure its fine, theres nothing wrong with it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

Media999 wrote: »
    Playground?

im afraid not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah a park on a 40 year old dump, lovely!

Sure throw a bit of topsoil on it it'll be grand. :rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

Have to say i agree with the first poster,

I can just see it now a smoke filled meeting room top shirt buttons open sweat pouring, what are we gonna do with this dump,

I know stick a few trees on it and a track and we'll call it a park,
    Dont be stupid the people wont fall for that, they'll fall for what we tell them to fall for, just tell them theres been a report done its clean and tidy and 40 years later after all that dumping its fine!

What did they do spend a couple of hundred thousand on it and now voila its fine?

Sure its fine, theres nothing wrong with it.:rolleyes:

You do realise its pretty common for landfills to be used like this when theyre full?
    Of course dont let that interrupt some talking through the rectum

Advertisement