Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A4 Enniskillen Southern Bypass

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

The consultation is currently underway (and will remain open till end of August). No funding is available for it though.

From a cursory glance it would appear that the bypass will use/sever the trackbed of the (dismantled) Sligo railway line. In the long term one would hope for the restoration of rail to Fermanagh. Whether this might ultimately be in the form of a line from Omagh or a cross-border line from Sligo/Monaghan/Cavan (or a combination thereof) it would seem common sense that railway alignments in the vicinity of the town be protected.

No point paying way over the odds for a railway at a future date - if the right planning decisions are made now and the alignments protected costs for such a future project can be kept down.

References/further reading:
    http://www.drdni.gov.uk/newsDetails.htm?newsRef=1608
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14299898

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

This is Fermanagh; in 10 years time, they'll still be discussing it. I went to school in Enniskillen and they had proposed a new school, it had the go ahead and everything. It was only going to take 2 years to build. That was back in 2005 and still nothing has taken place. I think they're not going to bother with the school now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Exactly they needy do the eastern corridor first especially from Here to Belfast the traffic is nuts at rush hour two lanes it's not enough they need to upgrade the railway aswell far to slow it should be taken 30 mins to get to Belfast not 1 hour 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

owenc wrote: »
    Exactly they needy do the eastern corridor first especially from Here to Belfast the traffic is nuts at rush hour two lanes it's not enough they need to upgrade the railway aswell far to slow it should be taken 30 mins to get to Belfast not 1 hour 30 mins

At least you have 2 lanes and a railway service!
    Fermanagh doesn't have rail and only 1 lane. In order to go to belfast we have to travel all the way to ballygawley now before we hit the dual carriageway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Cookie33 wrote: »
    At least you have 2 lanes and a railway service!
    Fermanagh doesn't have rail and only 1 lane. In order to go to belfast we have to travel all the way to ballygawley now before we hit the dual carriageway.

Well thats what you get for living at the very edge of ni.. the difference is we actually need it the population here is far larger than fermanagh i mean the coleraine borough alone has a population of 60,000 or more and Fermanagh county about 5 times the size of our borough has a population of less than that and thats saying something and the whole north east of ni has a pop of 600,000 so i think the money would be better spent here, its more urgent here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

And to think the Irish Government dished out EUR459 million for the Derry to Aughnacloy scheme, I'm inclined to think Fianna Fail won't be as spend happy with OUR money now that they are gone forever. The N17/18 between Galway and Gort is one of the most needy places but Cowen decided to throw our money at something which the Irish Government gets no revenue from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Skopzz wrote: »
    And to think the Irish Government dished out EUR459 million for the Derry to Aughnacloy scheme, I'm inclined to think Fianna Fail won't be as spend happy with OUR money now that they are gone forever. The N17/18 between Galway and Gort is one of the most needy places but Cowen decided to throw our money at something which the Irish Government gets no revenue from...
    The politics forum is that way
    >

On topic posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

owenc wrote: »
    Well thats what you get for living at the very edge of ni.. the difference is we actually need it the population here is far larger than fermanagh i mean the coleraine borough alone has a population of 60,000 or more and Fermanagh county about 5 times the size of our borough has a population of less than that and thats saying something and the whole north east of ni has a pop of 600,000 so i think the money would be better spent here, its more urgent here.

While its true that Fermanagh is a peripheral region of NI, infrastructure needs to be invested in, in order to develop the area. You're not going to encourage development, industry, tourism and population growth in a town like Enniskillen without proper road or rail links to bigger cities.

Yes, the population is more heavily centred on Belfast and it's surrounding area, but that doesn't mean that other areas should be ignored. You're right about the crappy links between Derry, Coleraine and Belfast though, they need attention.

Advertisement