Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montessori-primary teaching

• 03-08-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

aplologies if this is written somewhere else but if you have a h.dip in Montessori can you teach in Primary schools? Nobody can feckin tell me so i thought maybe someone on here would know :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭sue97

http://www.snmci.ie/programmes/HDip/default.htm

Only qualified to teach up to six year olds so no is the quick answer. As far as I know, the degree is the only one recognised by the Dept of Education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

There are cases where people with a Montessori qualification (degree level I think) are working as Resource teachers. At this stage I can't see anyone being taken on without one of the normal teaching qualifications (B.Ed, postgrad from one of the teaching colleges) when there are hundreds and hundreds of unemployed and fully qualified teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Missy11

It depends on which college you go to and what qualification you get. You can actually qualify to teach up to 12 years if you go to a particular college and u are alSo qualified to teach in a special school as the class teacher but it depends on which course u do !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Missy11 wrote: »
    It depends on which college you go to and what qualification you get. You can actually qualify to teach up to 12 years if you go to a particular college and u are alSo qualified to teach in a special school as the class teacher but it depends on which course u do !!

Does that apply in mainstream schools? I've never heard of it qualifying? I thought the Montessori qualification which allowed you teach up to 12 years was only for Montessori primary schools? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've read before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Missy11

You can teach in a Montessori primary school or special needs school but depends where bouts u got your diploma as far as I know ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Well the poster said hdip in montessori (level 8 HETAC )so its either st nicholas or AMI and that qualifies them to teach in montessori primary schools.

According to the department of education, they can register with the teaching council and substitute in primary schools too. I also saw an advert for a montessori teacher job on one of the Irish job sites from the US looking for qualified montessori teacher (BA Montessori Ed or Hdip Montessori Ed) for a primary school there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

thanks for the replies yes its the hdip in montessori from st nicholas's i'm in a conundrum at the moment of what to do because i'd love to teach kids but i don't want to work in a creche environment and thats where most of the Montessori positions are catch 22 i guess

And crèche pay isn't brilliant . Register with the council , get your cv out to all Montessori primary schools and other primary schools too . There are Montessori preschools out there that arnt creche's , you could go amaze them with your skills and gradually get your pay up . When you've three years experience they are eligible for extra money under the ecce scheme , might give them initiative to pay you more
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marbles2

Hi guys,

I dont know if this has been answered somewhere else but... can a primary school teacher teach Montessori schools?

would appreciate your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement