Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Tracks in Swords

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I started running in April but have had trouble finding areas in Swords to run that haven't left me unable to run for a few days afterwards, running on concrete seems to be too uncomfortable for me and I just can't get into a rhythm.

Does anyone know of good places to run in Swords that have a good bit of grass or soft ground to run on? I have tried running up and down the dual carriageway from Swords Business Park to Airside but I get very nervous that I will be run over and I feel a bit exposed.

I live near the Pavillions, just at the roundabout beside it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What about along the estuary? Lots of joggers run there.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

If you continue down the by-pass heading north after you pass the fingallians roundabout, there is a big green park area you can see to the left.
    This green area has a scateboard park, a path along the river and a number of playing fields. There are always people jogging around there.

Another option would be the estuary.
    Continue past woodies and that road takes you to the estuary, there is a walking path and grass area all the way to seabury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

There's always the ALSAA track, if you're into track running. You don't need to be a member to use it. Can be a bit boring but the surface is not as hard on your joints as tarmac is.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Malahide Castle has a 2.5 mile route inside it's perimeter, it also has various work-out stations along the route. Lovely place for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I go up to Malahide when I can get a lift, I will try the fields beside Fingallians, forgot all about there as its so long since I would have been down that way.

If I drove I would probably have more options, I might try the estuary tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Second the estuary

we (65th Bn Army Reserve) regularly run there on tuesday nights as part of our PT session. its a grand run from the barracks (beside Fingalians GAA) down the road onto the estuary and all the way into malahide to the church and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You could try running through and looping back around the Jacko and up around Rivervalley park (where the football pitches are). You could easily run on the grass areas beside the path.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Larianne wrote: »
    You could try running through and looping back around the Jacko

Don't think I'd go down the Jacko alone Larianne, there have been 2 attacks this year. It's a bit to isolated if you run into trouble.

Don't think I'd go down the Jacko alone Larianne, there have been 2 attacks this year. It's a bit to isolated if you run into trouble.

I walk my dog down there almost every day. I do get what you're saying though.

You'd feel safer with the dog than alone. It's such a pity, hopefully they'll bring back the park rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

The estuary and the pitches beside Fingallians would be the best bet alright, the path along the estuary is fairly easy on the legs and you can keep going through the park at Seabury if you like, but can get fairly water logged when it rains. Round by Fingallians is a nice run, you could also cross the road and go around Swords Celtic too.
    Some runs I do
    Sword-Malahide
    Fingallians
    Fingallians- Swords Celtic

If your having trouble running on roads could it be your runners, have been fitted out with proper running shoes and had gait analysis done?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Don't go walking on your own down the jacko dog or not..
    Too many attacks down there in broad daylight even to consider it
    which is a pity as it is a great park..
    I second the estuary or Fingallians grounds there.

Don't go walking on your own down the jacko dog or not..
    Too many attacks down there in broad daylight even to consider it
    which is a pity as it is a great park..

Ah, it's grand. I usually swing the dogs chain to deter anyone coming near me. :)

Advertisement