Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name for girls private parts???

• 03-08-2011 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys,

This may seem a little strange but I can't think of an appropriate name for my little girl to call her private bits. In my house we say 'bum' for the back and 'willy' for my son but my 2yo girl asked me the other day what her front bit is called. i just can't think is there any good word for a little child to be saying, for instance to tell me if it's sore/dirty etc.?? hope someone can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

It's called Ninny here. She made it up herself & now every female in the family & who knows her refers to theirs the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

my sister had her three two girls and a boy call it front bum nice n simple, hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

My daughter called it her front bum. A friend of mine used Ninny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We grew up knowing ours as our tuppence. I've also heard gina (as in vagina), front bottom, peewee and slot :eek: (not nice, but that's what my 3-yr old nephew called his baby sister's bits as they reminded him of his money box). No harm in just calling it what it is either, it's not rude, just anatomical. That said, it's all willies and tuppences in our house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

They were front bums and willies in my house growing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

i called mine a ''piddler'' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

We grew up knowing ours as our tuppence.
    For some reason, I find that hilarious. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What do call a penis when your little boy has an uncle who insists on calling himself Willy? My husband thinks "todger" is acceptable for some reason! I'm varying between penis and piddler right now.

Someone on here uses "yoni" for female genitals, I like that because it's descriptive of all the bits not just either vulva or vagina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

My little sister called it her "bummy" when she was small, wherever that came out of. As for the lads, it was always a "mickey" in our house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It's called "tinkle" here by my little girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

My 3 year old neice calls it her bum-china.Its the funnyest thing iv ever heard it called

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We had front bum and back bum when we were small. Middle bum was also introduced when I was given antibiotics at about 3 and they gave me thrush lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22 midnightdream

Mhhh I work as a Nanny and I always called it by its proper name, Vagina.
    Simply because that what its called and when they get older they wont be embarassed if they have to go to Doc or so. Dont know just think its the best!
    But then I grew up in Germany and I always felt there is great embarassment around that here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Simply because that what its called and when they get older they wont be embarassed if they have to go to Doc or so. Dont know just think its the best!
    But then I grew up in Germany and I always felt there is great embarassment around that here!

I agree with this but my poor little niece cant pronounce it so its called a bum-china now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Bum-china is great :)

When I was a kid it was my front bum, mostly because it looked a little bit like a bottom; myself and my sister came up with the name rather than any parental advice.

It's a good idea to have a word that describes it perfectly.

If you're interested in a rather amusing song - loveyourvagina.com - and http://loveyourvagina.com/index.php/index/wordlist has a LOT of suggestions

NB these were suggested by adult women so may well not all be suitable for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

I don't remember what we called the girls parts when i was a kid, but for a boy i remember it was called their "teapot" .. lol.. and best of all a woman's boobies were called "hoop-di-doops".. my brother said that one day and we all burst out laughing and every now and again we remind him about hoop di doops!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

We grew up knowing ours as our tuppence.

I've not heard that for 40 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

si_guru wrote: »
    For me, it begs the question as to whether the boys had a thru'penny bit or somesuch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The vagina is only part of it (internal), if you're talking about the "area" the proper name is vulva. Wikipedia: The vulva (from the Latin vulva, plural vulvae. See etymology) is the external genital organs of the female mammal.[1] This article deals with the vulva of the human being, although the structures are similar for other mammals. WARNING: EXTREMELY NSFW LINK

With kids under age ten (for example), I think it's best to avoid the proper medical name for it (or with boys too). Let them call it something that's comfortable & easy for them to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

si_guru wrote: »
    It came from my gran and my dad, my mam was a bit more 'correct' about such things, but tuppence stuck!
    iMax wrote: »
    With kids under age ten (for example), I think it's best to avoid the proper medical name for it (or with boys too). Let them call it something that's comfortable & easy for them to say.
    God, I don't know about that, I'd prefer mine were calling it a vulva or vagina rather than some of the slang words I hear from school kids - gowl being one of the most recent ones used by a 9-yr old I know. Using nicknames is more about making it comfortable and easy for adults. Kids don't know the difference, but recognise when they say something that makes an adult squirm (and relish that too!). If the correct words aren't introduced early enough, there may be a danger of them going straight from cutsey words to vulgar ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

A Cork friend of mine still refers to it as her "mary". I howl with laughter every time I hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

We used front bum with our 2 girls and willy with the boy. . they're 9 and 12 now and they know the proper name. . . when we were small i was the only girl with 6 brothers and it was always willy for the boys and fanny for me :eek: i nearly died when i was about 9 and i was introduced to my mother's aunt who's name was..Fanny. . i still laugh. . :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

My GOD I grew up without calling my vagina anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

We knew it as Minnie Mouse! Random I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

It was fanny for me too, and most of my friends I'd say. Reading The Famous Five was a bit of a laugh at that age! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It was a Mary Mary when I was younger, I have no idea where my Mam got that from :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

When we were kids (boys) growing up.. I guess it was tuppence then fanny then mary (it rhymes with hairy).

..of course, the first time I went to the US (28-ish I guess) I nearly died when women starting discussing their fannies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Well when i was a kid i called it my China, because i countnt pronounce vagina. But i think its best to call it by its proper name as another poster said then when they get older they are no embarrassed by the proper names for the genitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We always went with penis & vagina, that's what they are, never had any issues except for the time....you know how kids are, they learn a new word and repeat it a lot sometimes...as long as you can handle pushing a buggy around Penny's with a three year old shouting at the top of her voice " VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA" embarrasing at the time but we look back and laugh about it now

Call it what it is, that's my advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

It's called a *fairy* in this house :)

Advertisement