Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy dogs

• 03-08-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a therapy dog, that you go visiting hospitals, nursing homes etc with your dog (or cat)? I'd love to do it, just need to work out which of my lot would be the right one for the job.

I got my first two dogs assessed and passed to be Pets as Therapy (PAT) dogs in the UK, but it was all quite new then, and you had to find the places to visit for yourself, and I could never find anyone willing to let us go. Its moved on a lot now though, so hopefully we can get assessed and pass and then go and share the husky love:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Hi

You should contact Peata. They assess the dogs and they will assign you a nursing home or hospital to go to. My friend did it for a while with her poodle and enjoyed it. A lot of places participate now, I know the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire was one place that the Peata dogs used to visit.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Selfheal wrote: »
    Hi

You should contact Peata. They assess the dogs and they will assign you a nursing home or hospital to go to. My friend did it for a while with her poodle and enjoyed it. A lot of places participate now, I know the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire was one place that the Peata dogs used to visit.

Good luck!

Thanks, I looked into them before, but they don't cover Sligo, where I live. Irish Therapy Dogs do though, so hopefully can go through them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    Thanks, I looked into them before, but they don't cover Sligo, where I live. Irish Therapy Dogs do though, so hopefully can go through them:D

I contacted them a few months ago by e-mail enquiring about this and followed it up with a phone call, still waiting on any kind of reply. Yet another charity that hasn't responded to my offer to help, I'm starting to think it's me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you're in Dublin for Pet Expo you can ambush them! :D I know somebody who used to do it - I'll ask them about it if you want - usually see them at the weekend. They had to stop doing it when the dog developed food allergies - in case she was given or stole a treat that didn't agree with her. What I would love to do is raise a service dog but I don't think I'd be able to bear handing it over after 12-18 months!!!:o:pac:

I think I'll try them again now, why don't you have a go at training a search & rescue dog tk? Another thing I'd like to have a go at, but I'm way too far away from any organisation that does that kind of thing. :(

Maybe I should just move? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

why don't you have a go at training a search & rescue dog tk?

Don't you have to lie up a mountain for hours being the 'dummy' for the dogs in training to find - I'd freeeeeeeeeeeze! :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    Don't you have to lie up a mountain for hours being the 'dummy' for the dogs in training to find - I'd freeeeeeeeeeeze! :pac:

Bring a flask of soup :D You only have to do that for 6 months . . . allegedly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I was on to PEATA wondering if they might have any call for a cat. They don't cover my area either, but they suggested that if I approached places near to me and found anywhere that would be willing to have us come in they would assess and certify him for me.

Must get out and ask some places as the wee lad loves visiting and getting admired by all around him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Were they aware of PETA when they choose PEATA ?

My Saluki girl would be brilliant. I took her into a local nursing home & the residents adored her. She never licks or jumps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi - my dog is a therapy dog. She's a new recruit and is getting on very well. We visit the same nursing home every week for an hour or so. It's very rewarding to see the look on the peoples faces when you go in and they look forward to seeing her.

We are with Irish Therapy Dogs: http://www.irishtherapydogs.ie/

We had to fill out a questionaire, get references and go for an asssessment where they interview you and also test the dogs reactions & temperment in certain situations, which, thankfully we passed! A Garda clearance is also required and this took a couple of months to come through.

It's rewarding but it is also a committment so think carefully about going ahead with it - Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

2 of my dogs were Peata therapy dogs. They're both bomb proof type dogs, don't mind being pushed or poked, loud noises, jerky movements, and wheel chairs or walkers. I used to bring them into a nursing home for alzeimers (sp?)patients, some of the residents were quite rough or could be petting them one minute and then give them a shove!

All dogs recognise mental or physical disabilities but some get freaked out by it and react badly, there's not really any way of testing that.

The assessment I had done involved a test of basic obedience including sit, stay and to leave food on the ground. They had to be able to greet someone without jumping up on the chair/bed, they had an umbrella dropped behind them out of sight and the idea was they should be curious but not bark or react with fear. They had to have a walker and wheelchair go past them and someone with a stick walked past them and gently pushed them with the stick, again they should just move away as apposed to reacting aggressively or with fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I was on to PEATA wondering if they might have any call for a cat. They don't cover my area either, but they suggested that if I approached places near to me and found anywhere that would be willing to have us come in they would assess and certify him for me.

Must get out and ask some places as the wee lad loves visiting and getting admired by all around him :D

So they are willing to certify cats? Hmmm I have 2 here that would love the attention! Any idea of what they require?

On the dog side of things. My nana was in a nursing home and I asked i asked if I could bring my dog while visiting. I bring my dog to work and she is surrounded by people all day . She is very quiet, doesn't bark etc. She's a lab/ Collie cross. I was told I could bring her for one visit and they would see. There was no issue. A few of the staff questioned but when I said who had given me permission it was fine. We visited every sat eve for a yr and and a half til my nana passed away. The other residents loved it! My nana also loved the attention that came with my girl being there. I saw a huge benefit in bringing her, people related to her and it brougth something new to thier day!
    Since my nana has passed and we don't do the visits anymore I was thinking of asking locally. I would also consider some of my cats if it was allowed...

All dogs recognise mental or physical disabilities but some get freaked out by it and react badly, there's not really any way of testing that.

The assessment I had done involved a test of basic obedience including sit, stay and to leave food on the ground. They had to be able to greet someone without jumping up on the chair/bed, they had an umbrella dropped behind them out of sight and the idea was they should be curious but not bark or react with fear. They had to have a walker and wheelchair go past them and someone with a stick walked past them and gently pushed them with the stick, again they should just move away as apposed to reacting aggressively or with fear

Yes that's the same assessment that my dog had - they are testing to see how the dog reacts to certain situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We visited every sat eve for a yr and and a half til my nana passed away. The other residents loved it! My nana also loved the attention that came with my girl being there. I saw a huge benefit in bringing her, people related to her and it brougth something new to thier day!

The nurses in the nursing home I used to go into said it made a massive difference to the residents, alot of whom had severe dementia. They said that some of the more aggressive residents would be really calm for the rest of the day. And another benefit they found was that the dogs made most of the residents snap into the present at the same time and they were able to interact with each other, although sometimes it came to swearing and nearly blows over the dogs cos they each thought it was their own dog!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

We visited every sat eve for a yr and and a half til my nana passed away. The other residents loved it! My nana also loved the attention that came with my girl being there. I saw a huge benefit in bringing her, people related to her and it brougth something new to thier day!
    That is one of the nicest things ive heard in ages. Fair play ;)

I briefly looked into this a few years ago when i had my dog,but they asked for a committed day every week (which is completely understandable) e.g. every Monday. The reason they are so strict on this this is because it was a "nursing home"and routine is very important. Promising and expecting the visit of a dog/cat is a HUGE committment and reneging on than can be very upsetting.I couldnt commit to it entirely...

So many elderly people have to give up/lose their pets when they reach that stage...i hope that this will change and i can live out my days with pets allowed!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

So they are willing to certify cats? Hmmm I have 2 here that would love the attention! Any idea of what they require?

Your cats need to be really bomb proof - cats who are friendly and comfortable in the home may be anxious and run away when taken out of their familiar environment.

You need a cat who can basically be picked up and placed down and will remain where they're put, purring and enjoying being stroked, but who also won't react with bites or scratches to touches they don't like. They need to not tramp all over the patient either.

Ragdolls, maine coons and birmans tend to make good therapy cats if they're raised and handled with that career in mind - they're attractive looking but also usually extremely placid and can be handled, lifted, turned upside down, so on.

We use softpaws on their claws - http://www.softpaws.com/ - before allowing them in contact with patients - even unintentionally a cat can scratch someone just because of how their claws are retractable and that can cause problems in immunocompromised patients.

Dunno who coordinates it in Ireland, but I'd assume the temperament requirements would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My best friend has one,
    Ragdoll
    and is ridiculously placid when held etc...but doesnt seem to "enjoy" it, if you know what i mean.Lovely cat but is "blank" regarding any kind of affection! I know a lot about the breed so i get it....they are unbelievably relaxed when held, almost to the point of not moving,in a floppy way.
    wrote:
    softpaws on their claws - http://www.softpaws.com/ - .
    So funny as i also suggested these but they're not at all common here. How do cats get on....with them on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I have a moggie here that I think would be perfect. When we go to the vet he can't check her heart beat as she is too busy purring and loving him! She just relishes any sort of attention.
    My coon would be good too but he would take a bit of time to settle in comfortably in the situation. He's extremely placid and loving but despite his size he is a wee bit of a scary cat for a few minutes in a new environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I'm actually involved with the Irish Therapy Dogs Association and am the local co-ordinator for Sligo. I've a personal interest in pet therapy itself as I was on the receiving end being a patient myself. Was stuck in a hospital in Australia for two months and had it not been for the massive aviary the centre had I'd have lost my nuts. So I can understand how worthy it is, and even more so with dogs seeing as they can sit next to the bed/chair and be petted.

Obviously to its name, ITDA deals with dogs as the "pet therapists" so to speak. And it's a NATIONWIDE charity, so anybody can get involved - provided of course that they pass the Garda Vetting and that both dog and owner pass the assessment. Sligo actually has its next assessment on Oct 1st, so if anybody would like to get involved PM me and I'll send out an application form. Two references will be required too, and these WILL be checked.

It's only recently that the healthcare system has started courses in relation to the benefits of pet therapy for caretakers/nurse. My mum is a nurse and I seen plenty of courses advertised in the WIN magazine.

AJ, I'm sorry to hear you have yet to hear a call back from ITDA. Any dealing I've had with them from applying for the position to now, they've always followed up their calls. It might be that the message got lost. Apologies on their behalf.

If anybody has any questions I'm happy to answer or you can check out www.irishtherapydogs.ie for additional information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'd love to do it but I know my fella would cock his leg over everything in sight before jumping onto some old dears lap and giving them a thorough face licking. He's a bit too over friendly for the job. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Yeah, my three would be a bit over friendly as well. The smallest one would probably end up taking over the bed while the others gave thorough face lickings and looked like they were trying to smother the poor unfortunate they were supposed to be giving therapy to!

However, I don't feel too badly because we cared for my grandmother at home until she passed away last year at 101 years old and the dogs were her own personal therapy dogs. Apart from random face lickings, she loved their company and they used to lie on the couch beside her and they'd all nap together and it really did enhance her quality of life, even if she was giving out them from time to time and telling me that one of them in particular was sent up from hell to torment her! But I figured it showed she still had fight left in her so it was all to the good.
    Actually, when she passed away, the dogs were lying on the end of her bed with her.

Sorry for the tl;dr there. But because of that, I do feel very strongly about the therapy dog programme being a great one and it can be beneficial on so many levels. I have promised myself that any future dog in our household will be worked with so that they can try for the assessment at least.

Well I've sent an e-mail again and have just found an automated reply in my junk mail, so I could have a guess that it ended up in there the first time too :rolleyes:

Well I've sent an e-mail again and have just found an automated reply in my junk mail, so I could have a guess that it ended up in there the first time too :rolleyes:

That's what I did & Irish Therapy Dogs followed up with a phone call & sent me the forms/information etc. They will not ignore enquiries - they are crying out for volunteers at the moment.

Ditto on what was said above. The "base" in Dublin is calling me every week to see how I'm getting on trying to find volunteers. It's great that they do call, because it keeps me motivated to try and do better. But as the moment, there's only three visiting teams in Sligo, so it's very small here.

But you can only grow :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

anniehoo wrote: »
    So funny as i also suggested these but they're not at all common here. How do cats get on....with them on?

Usually fine. It's fiddly to get them on, and any cat placid enough to allow you to glue a sheath over each of their claw tips is placid enough to be unphased by having them on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I wanted to do this with one of my dogs as he's the perfect personality for it (I think!), very laid back and chilled out, but when I saw they had to do 'sit down' and 'lie down' commands it put me off, he has a dodgy back leg and so he kind of can't sit down, only stand or lie so he doesn't know any commands as I let him do whatever is comfortable for him, but other than that I do think he'd be great, he's so nonplussed by most things and ends up just falling asleep whenever I take him anywhere (including in the queue at the post office :o)

I'm pretty sure he'd pass the Guarda check, as far as I know he doesn't have a criminal background...

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I wanted to do this with one of my dogs as he's the perfect personality for it (I think!), very laid back and chilled out, but when I saw they had to do 'sit down' and 'lie down' commands it put me off, he has a dodgy back leg and so he kind of can't sit down, only stand or lie so he doesn't know any commands as I let him do whatever is comfortable for him, but other than that I do think he'd be great, he's so nonplussed by most things and ends up just falling asleep whenever I take him anywhere (including in the queue at the post office :o)

I'm pretty sure he'd pass the Guarda check, as far as I know he doesn't have a criminal background...

Hi my dog doesn't "do" commands either!! - she tends to suit herself and she still passed the assessment - alot of the assessment is do suss out the temperment of the dog so I would apply & give yourselves a chance - you might just be surprised!!

Loving your doggie "criminal background" bit!!!! :D

For anyone interested, Sligo has a test date in October for those volunteers who are ready. So if anyone is considering within this area don't hesitate to ask me any questions. People are coming down from Donegal and up from Galway for their dog/owner test. So it's pretty much a test for the west if you like :)

Some times are left for anyone interested but the appropiate forms need to be filled out and sent off beforehand.

Any questions, give me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niceday7

Hello my name is Julia owner of a 1.6 months old foot beagle called Max. We applied to become ITD few months ago. We have filled out d forms, get a phone call and.....nothing happens :( we live in cork and the lady on the phone told me tha I will have to wait or come to Dublin for an assesment. Unfortunatelly I am not a driver, I dont know many people with car and worst of all - in Ireland you cant take dog on a bus( which is strange 'coz back in my country- slovakia- there was no problem with that , as long as u had him/her under control...anyway..i have seen your post about the assesment test , and max is trained for all commands like sit, leave it, wait, down (in slovak and english too:) but lately we started to have a problem with recall and jumping on a people..he was brilliant all the time, well, he did some of the jumping when he was a puppy but all of a sudden it came back. I love to work with him , my brother himself is a boy with a special need so Max is really calm around people, kids, wheelchairs etc. I am just wondering if you can help me if there is any special trraining given to the dogs which I can maybe start to do with Max now? im kind a afraid that we wont pass because of that jumping :( if we actually get there..thank you for all your help..julia and max

• Advertisement

Hi Julia, I would look into travelling by train, still not ideal but I would look into times ect. to see if there is a way you can get to a train station reasonably close by, as your dog is quite small it might be possible to get a taxi to/from train stations if you have a carrier for the dog. The other issue with transport is that you would also have to get yourself to and from the place/places you would be visiting and these places contact ITD directly if they are interested in a volunteer coming in, it's usually nursing homes that avail of this and unless one very close to you has shown an interest they you may have problems with transport again.

It does take a while to clear all the stages for this. I was out of the country for a period and have had to go through garda vetting twice since I came back. It takes a very long time if you have been living outside of Ireland for this to be completed (well over a year the first time I had to do this).

Advertisement