Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord just scabby?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Morning all, my current predicament is this. My apartments electricity is controlled via tokens, so one ten euro token equals 50 units, which typically lasts a week, now the washing machine is out in the shed and uses the same system except with 1 unit tokens which cost one euro.

This seemed odd to me so I tried one of the 10 euro 50 unit tokens in the washing machine and it worked.

He has since discovered and is less than pleased, My point being is he allowed to charge one price for the apartments electricity, and then charge 5 TIMES as much for the washing machine's?

Washing machine 50units = 50 Euro
    Flat 50units = 10Euro

Is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can't see anything illegal about it.

But, have you asked the landlord why there is a difference and why it's such a difference?

Could you run an extension cable out to the shed, and so not need to put any tokens in the shed meter?? Then when finished, bring the extension cable back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

He has the plug socket wired into a switch :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you can agree whatever you want with him.
    if you agreed this and signed a contract its your own mistake, lesson learned.

i would only rent a place where the utility bill is in my name. it sounds like are renting a shed or granny flat, rather than an apartment, and have no separate meter.

if you have a separate meter, ask to get the bill in your name or give your notice. there is nothing you can legally do

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Landlords still get away with this?

It's people like that landlord that makes me wish they all choke in their investment mortgages. And I will rub my hands with schadenfreude when they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

noxqs wrote: »
    Landlords still get away with this?

It's people like that landlord that makes me wish they all choke in their investment mortgages. And I will rub my hands with schadenfreude when they do.

as long as tenants keep signing up to it, some landlords will keep doing it.
    a person needs to be over 18 and capable of reading & writing* to sign a lease. when someone can do those, they can make your own decisions.
    much like bars that charge 7eu a pint, people can choose not to buy.

*as far as i am aware you can also sign a contract with an "X" to indicate the contents have been explained to you, but you must be lelgally able to understand thhem - over 18, not drunk, of sound mind, etc, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One landlord tried something similar with us; we told him we were applying for the Household Benefits so needed the account in our name. Worked great and it was true of course.

Seems to be any official mentioned sorts it...

Advertisement