Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite Broadband??

• 03-08-2011 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    looking 4 advice.
    Need to get satelite broadband in my house in tralee co. kerry.
    Was just wondering if anybody could recommend a provider?
    Was thinking of going for Permenat with a 3mb line and phone pack!
    any advice would be great.
    cheers,
    jp

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Permanet is fixed wireless, will beat sat every way every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it fixed wireless or satellite you're looking at? Permanet is not satellite, and satellite is not broadband. Check the Midband subforum for satellite threads, there's been a spate of them in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    Is it fixed wireless or satellite you're looking at? Permanet is not satellite, and satellite is not broadband. Check the Midband subforum for satellite threads, there's been a spate of them in the last few days.

even people thinking of giving up DSL for satellite, insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

If Permanet is available in your area, then perhaps they'd be best for you.

Those providing Satellite BB seem to be on the increase and all offering various packages. Tooway is an option and there are several choices out there. Here's an example: http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/

But the one thing I would advise is keeping away from Niall Quinn's, QSat, at least until they provide a better download allowance, which at the moment is an almost useless, low 2 Gigs a month.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Been with permanet myself for several years with no problem.

Don't use them for the phone, have a seperate voip service for that thru permanet and works without problem.

If your in tralee then could you not use eircom/vodafone/few others that do local loop unbundling thru your phone line (assuming you have a phone line)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if your premises had no phone connected since 01 Jan 2011 you qualify for a "'trial' line " connection which is free and line rental is free for 9 months....so you only pay for the broadband itself for 9 months and bb+ line rental thereafter. Ring 1901 to check whether your address qualifies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

didnt know d difference between fixed wireless or satellite to tell the truth!
    wanna get the phoneline because need to run a fax off it!!!

wanabe wrote: »
    didnt know d difference between fixed wireless or satellite to tell the truth!
    wanna get the phoneline because need to run a fax off it!!!

Do people still fax?:)

With the advance of the internet most businesses [big and small] I am aware of simple use emails.

Yes, big difference between Satellite BB and Wireless BB, for a start Wireless is much more dependant on line of sight between receiver (you) and transmitter. Satellite doesn't normally suffer from such restrictions and if you can receive SKY chances are you'll get Satellite BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

you don't want to use a voip line for fax .. to problematic ... better to go with what Sponge Bob says and get a line installed and take up the offer of a trial line

pat13wx wrote: »
    Yes, big difference between Satellite BB and Wireless BB, for a start Wireless is much more dependant on line of sight between receiver (you) and transmitter. Satellite doesn't normally suffer from such restrictions and if you can receive SKY chances are you'll get Satellite BB.

Of course , as has been pointed out to you previously, sat is NOT broadband. So get that out of your mind.

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Of course , as has been pointed out to you previously, sat is NOT broadband. So get that out of your mind.

Interesting.

For those of us who can't get decent broadband speeds in the conventional way, we will take it however it comes. It might not be broadband to you but if it works like regular broadband and has speeds comparable to regular broadband then for me it is broadband.

pat13wx wrote: »
    It might not be broadband to you but if it works like regular broadband and has speeds comparable to regular broadband then for me it is broadband.

As I'm sick of pointing out it doesn't work like regular broadband nor does it deliver anything like broadband speeds.

You'd be far better off getting your DSL problems sorted out, you could start by answering the questions asked of you previously.

Stop pimping satellite midband at every opportunity.

As I'm sick of pointing out it doesn't work like regular broadband nor does it deliver anything like broadband speeds.

You'd be far better off getting your DSL problems sorted out, you could start by answering the questions asked of you previously.

Stop pimping satellite midband at every opportunity.

My, but you really have it bad, don't you. If my comments are causing you such distress might I suggest you refrain from either reading or commenting on them, or both?

Any more such nonsense from you and you shall enjoy the unique and distinct pleasure of being the first person placed on my "ignore list.":)

Continue with your delusions that sat is broadband for all I care just stop hijacking every thread.

Why do you think every thread you start gets moved to the midband forum, where it belongs?

Fix your DSL, ask for advice on it here, somebody with time to handhold you might take pity on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Continue with your delusions that sat is broadband for all I care just stop hijacking every thread.

Oh, I am aware to some extent of the technical variations. However, I use the term “broadband” in the generic sense. The important thing for me is if it works.
    Why do you think every thread you start gets moved to the midband forum, where it belongs?

That is totally disingenuous and not at all factual. There was one thread I started that was moved to the "Midband" section.

watty wrote: »

Thanks Watty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Enough of the back and forth

Sat is not broadband, and is not comparable. If it's the last or only option, then it can be recommended (if recommended is the right word). If you have other options, they should be investigate, or fixed if there are issues.

The OP on this thread is interested in Permanet, so let the discussion reside with that. If this and any other options are ruled out as not feasible, then Sat may their only choice.

Advertisement