Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing Block....Help wanted

Options
  • 03-08-2011 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

How do guys,

I have a serious writers block at the moment,struggling to get out of it,every time i put pen to paper i absolutely hate what i write....

I want to write poetic/mysterious lyrics,along the lines of arcade fire,fleet foxes,mumford and sons etc!

but every time i try to write i come out with lovey dovey ****e that I don't want to and will not sing!

I guess my main block is getting an idea that i really like...

once i get started I'm ok with rhyming and structure etc...

its getting started thats the problem!

any advice!

also i'm extremely open at the moment to teaming up with a songwriter and getting some sort of collaboration going with regards to lyrics as my band are looking to start writing some songs soon so I'm under a slight bit of pressure to get some stuff done!......maybe thats providing the block!

any info/advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 songswap

songwriting like most things is a big journey in life.

First up: keep writing!

Secondly, try not puttin yourself under pressure to be a certain way or be like or as good as other artists.

There is a book that is called The Artists Way that is really helpful.

And lastly, Don't be fighting with your muse!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roughie

You can try to use lyrics of another songs that you like for a basis. Just extract the idea and start writing. If it's something you really like, it should be easier for you. And at least for me, when writing something new it's very helpful to have some basis. If it's a song with lyrics you like a lot, it should bring some inspiration.
    Also it's easier for me to write lyrics if the melody is already created in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Acoustic Fanatic

Yeah, I agree with the post that says that consistent writing is the key. Plus, pressure doesnt help. I write everyday on the way into and out of work, plus at lunch. I dont write at any other times. Still though, there are days where I only write one line. At lunch I wrote one word over twenty minutes. The word was "defeated" hahaha.

I would be interested in writing with you, if you'd be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kieltFACE

I tend not to write songs down at all. I just play the guitar and get a melody going and try sing. Sometimes I come out with absolute crap but eventually I'll sing a phrase I like and work off that. If you're afraid that you'll forget an idea that you didn't write down then don't worry. If you can't remember it, it's not worth remembering! And chances are your audience won't remember it either. That's the beauty of this process.It almost skims the fat for you. Maybe this might work for you. I find changing a train of thought might break your block. Good luck with your band. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Alcohol helps.

Not joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Yeah, stop fighting with your muse!!!

Another trick is to get a newspaper and a pen and go through a page circling song titles... For example, you wrote:
    I have a serious writers block at the moment,struggling to get out of it,every time i put pen to paper i absolutely hate what i write....

Here's a few song titles from that sentence

Serious writers
    Serious writers block
    At the moment
    Struggling to get out
    Every time
    Pen to paper
    Absolutely
    What I write

Don't tell me there's nothing there you can't work with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

bush Baby appears to be a genius here. I think he knows what he’s talking about. Even if you think or hear of a word (or phrase) one day, it might put you in a mood to be inspired, that normally works for me.

I read a Bob Dylan quote “birds are not free, they are bound to the sky” and I managed to write a whole song about mental captivity and constant continuity. Even “constant continuity” should be enough to flair your songwriting talents.

I heard another song the other day with part of the sentence being “Flaming Youth”
    Hearing things like that brings a flood of ideas to my mind.

Try be inspired.

K

God no, not a genius but I do try to have at least two finished songs (they're never finished by the way) a week. But looking for hooks can be really elusive and sometimes I can go for weeks without writing anything I'm happy with. The newspaper thing was a revelation for me....

Hope it works for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭TheFiveLamps

do you perform in Bands or Sololy? either of you?

I used to perform Solo and try to get the odd gig whenever I can!! Time is the problem these days!

• Advertisement

my band are looking for someone to write some songs for us if you'd be interested,we could pay a small amount initially,and if we ever made money of those songs eventually pay some more...

What genre are you working in? Any available melodies that I can take a listen to?? Either way I have a fair few songs available if you want to take a listen to.... Mostly country or alt country right now but that can change to suit any genre

i guess were going for an alternative rock type with folky harmonies too,our influences would be Arcade Fire,Fleet Foxes,Mumford and Sons etc....

we haven't got anything recorded right now as were literally just starting off...

i guess were going for an alternative rock type with folky harmonies too,our influences would be Arcade Fire,Fleet Foxes,Mumford and Sons etc....

we haven't got anything recorded right now as were literally just starting off...

Sounds right up my street.... Want to take a listen to a few tracks I'll PM you a few soundcloud clips on PM??

yeah that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

A lot of Fleet Foxes stuff seems to be outdoor inspired...I know it sounds cheesy but do a bit of mountain climbing or forest walking..at the very least it helps clear the head.

New experiences, people and places seem to do the trick as well. Have an adventure somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

What I've found is that I can only write when it's really late at night and I'm feeling sleepy. Sitting in bed thinking about the woes of the world (it's always the woes, isn't it? If anyone has advice on how to write a nice happy song I'd love to hear it). Anyway when I wake up I find most of I've written is absolute toss but there are always are a few lines that can be used.

Oh, and keep writing! Have somewhere you save your lyrics, a notepad or on your phone. When you're out and about something will occur to you and you'll think "Pure gold!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Alcohol helps.

Not joking.

Absolutely agree. Alcohol helped me write some of the best songs I've ever written. I don't know why it helps but 100% agree. I guess it must free your mind... lets your thoughts free

• Registered Users Posts: 26 morbid reflection

writers block ??

there ain't a such thing as writers block. Its an illusion. Do not get stuck on the words.

Your creativity just lost its pressure, try fruit pastiles, set the juice loose aboot the hoose. or are they wine gums ??

good luck, nice tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

If you're coming up with stuff why not use it but just change a word or two to make it turn from cute and lovely to disconcerting and possibly criminal. I often get the words to songs wrong and just a word or two can totally change the meaning. (Sorry it's probably obvious now but I'm not a songwriter)

And if you're also getting lovely dovey music - dark lyrics and kitten cute music make for a great combination - don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You do not have writers block.

You're just trying to write songs that are not yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Jennii. wrote: »
    Alcohol helps.

Not joking.

Absolutely agree. Alcohol helped me write some of the best songs I've ever written. I don't know why it helps but 100% agree. I guess it must free your mind... lets your thoughts free

Scotch in particular gets my creative juices flowing. I hadn't written a song in a while lately, and then I realised that I hadn't had a scotch in a while either. A few glasses later... out popped a song!

Advertisement