Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crunch UCD, a disgrace

Options
  • 03-08-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Crunch continue to accept new members (and cash) while at the same time letting the place fall apart knowing they have only a year left to operate on campus.

The decline in maintenance started some time ago (i.e. perhaps over a year ago) but has now gone on to such depths as to refuse to repair the men's toilet (out of service for some weeks now), fail to replace or repair essential equipment and fail to provide any standard of maintenance of current equipment whatsoever.

If this is the way the run their company, it reflects very poorly on the other branches of the franchise which will continue to operate once the UCD branch closes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jesus, I was thinking of joining for a few months but not if it is as piss poor as this. Might just pay that bit extra for one of the gyms with a pool in the area. Does anyone know of the gyms in the D4 area and Clonskeagh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Jesus, I was thinking of joining for a few months but not if it is as piss poor as this. Might just pay that bit extra for one of the gyms with a pool in the area. Does anyone know of the gyms in the D4 area and Clonskeagh?

I second this request. The only assisted pull up/dips machine was broken for at least a month, until my membership ran out. For all I know it still is. All it needed was a new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Never been inside it but friarsland is a 3 minute walk from the clonskeagh gate and it can't be worse than crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Crunch really has been outdoing itself in shitness lately. I was always a fan of the place, cheap and the weights weigh the same as anywhere even if they are very old, but it has gotten even worse lately. They know they will only be there another year, swards of students will join in September with ambitions of looking like Adonis until they (re)discover the finer points in life and will only go a handful of times, so what's the point in putting any effort in? Crappy way to run a business but seems to be what they are doing.

There are a bunch of other gyms nearby:

Ironside in blackrock is the business. Great set up. They have a new website (http://ironsidegym.ie/) or check them out on facebook.

Friarsland doesn't have a great free weights section afaik, so depends what you are looking for from your gym.

David Lloyd is down the road but obviously is very expensive.

There is a new gym opening up in Ranelagh called flyefit which looks quite promising and will be €20 a month. No contract which is a bonus, especially for students. No need to pay over christmas or summer if you are from outside Dublin and heading back home for the holidays.

Raw in Portabello is a good gym as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I see there is a place called 'energiefitness' in Ballsbridge, and West Wood in Sandymount. Think I'll check those two, and Friarsland out and see what deals I can get if me and my friend join. Might as well report back to this thread for others to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

That energiefitness has a picture of machines for their free weights section on the website is a worrying start...

Check out this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054971163&page=78). There are lots of reviews of most gyms so is worth a search through. Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

From a business perspective, what is the point in making significant investment in repairs and upkeep, when your going to be closed in mere months? Are UCD not opening and running the new gym? Not defending Crunch, but it is simple business especially considering the summer would be the low season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

ironclaw wrote: »
    From a business perspective, what is the point in making significant investment in repairs and upkeep, when your going to be closed in mere months? Are UCD not opening and running the new gym? Not defending Crunch, but it is simple business especially considering the summer would be the low season for them.

Seeing as they are a franchise, it reflects badly on their whole business when one branch fail to repair something as essential as the male toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ironclaw wrote: »
    They could at least fix machines, though - they can be transferred to other branches after the UCD gym closes. How much does it cost to fix a toilet, anyway?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

About €1.17 per CM of the diameter of the bowl. Oval shaped bowls cost more.

A Ben Dunne Gym is opening in the Beacon in September. 180 for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Crunch are not a franchise. They are all run by the one company. In fairness, the problem in the whole set-up is UCD. They should have got Crunch to run the new one, conditional on the current one being kept up to standard until the change-over. They are an established fitness club operator, unlike UCD, and would probably do a better job running the new gym.

Energie in Ballsbridge I imagine would have free weights - I'm in their branch in Rathfarnham and it's got a decent-looking free weights area separate to the machine weights. Never been to Friarsland - I've heard it's small but the staff in it are very friendly, and it's got a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bnt wrote: »
    They could at least fix machines, though - they can be transferred to other branches after the UCD gym closes. How much does it cost to fix a toilet, anyway?

Well, you'd have to get a plumber, estimate the job, get parts and fix it. All joking aside, it could be a couple of hundred. The plumber alone could be €100 and seeing as its outside UCD's realm, they couldn't use UCD Services.

I'm not defending Crunch, there is a minimum standard to be maintained, but if I was them, I wouldn't spend money that I may never see a return on.

Advertisement