Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old shops with overhead cash "railways"

• 03-08-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I already have this posted in the Wexford Forum so I hope that's it's okay to post it here too? :)

Anybody know of any shop in the South East that had or has this ancient overhead cash system? Large department stores, drapers etc. would have had them. Even the remains of them would be of interest to me. All information gratefully received.

wireline_cover.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I think Hearnes dept store on the quay(where the Granville hotel is now) might have had something like that, it closed down in the early 80's I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Yes Hearnes had the exact same one as advertised in your pic the bad Ass cafe in dublin still uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

what do they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yep, Hearne's (before my time) had one of those, because my uncle worked there and told me about it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

what do they do?[/QUOTE
    there was a central cash office suspended above the floor and all cash desks were connected to it by a couple of taut wires , little timber cups were used to shoot the money tendered and a cash docket to the central office and the change was shot back to the desk.
    Sounds weird nowadays but as a nipper in Hearnes was cool to see these little capsules whiz over your head, can still hear the noise

• Advertisement
Advertisement