Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no 17 kimmage to UCD

Options
  • 03-08-2011 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bettyboop20

Hello all, I'm starting in UCD in september and I've found a place to live in kimmage. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how long it takes the 17 from kimmage to reach UCD? I'm planning to take the bus myself before college starts to give me an idea but I know the traffic will be a lot worse in september, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You would be better off living somewhere closer to UCD, also the 17 is a pretty unreliable bus service in my experience.

In relation to your actual question, I honestly don't know, but you would save yourself a lot of time in the long run by living closer to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hiya,

depending on the time you get the bus, it takes about 40 minutes to get from Kimmage to UCD. It all depends on traffic, and whether the 17 actually shows up when you expect it to.

In my experience, the earlier you can get the bus, the better chance of it actually being there on time.

Kimmage isnt exactly far from the terminus, so you might be lucky in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

triseke wrote: »
    Hiya,

depending on the time you get the bus, it takes about 40 minutes to get from Kimmage to UCD. It all depends on traffic, and whether the 17 actually shows up when you expect it to.

In my experience, the earlier you can get the bus, the better chance of it actually being there on time.

Kimmage isnt exactly far from the terminus, so you might be lucky in that regard.

Pfft! I lived in Blackrock in first year. Got the seventeen one stop from the terminus and it still managed not to turn up at all maybe one in every four times... Hope its a bit more reliable from the other terminus OP! My advice is double your journey time and get the bus that corresponds with that, that way if it doesn't show you aren't totally screwed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Get a bike, cheaper and quicker.

Kimmage is plenty close to live to UCD, but the 17 bus has to be one of the worst going.

Get yourself a bike as the poster above has said. It's 20mins (at the absolute max) to UCD cycling through Rathgar, Dartry, Clonskeagh.

Did it for 3 years, easy peasy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bettyboop20

Thanks for the replies everyone, they've been helpful! I don't think that 40 minutes on the bus is too bad but the unreliability will be an issue alright, l'll have to allow myself more time like one of the posters said. I might have to learn how to drive! I have cystic fibrosis so I won't be cycling anywhere I'm afraid ;)

Beware the car parks in UCD with respect to arriving late. Between 10am-3pm if you're not parked, you won't get a spot.

That being said, would you be entitled to a HC pass? This would make things a lot easier alright.

If I was thinking where to live in Dublin that has the best Buses to UCD, anywhere along the Ranelagh / Donnybrook / Kilmacud / Stillorgan corridor is served by almost too many buses.

The 17 isn't something you'd want to rely on to be brutally honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If I was thinking where to live in Dublin that has the best Buses to UCD, anywhere along the Ranelagh / Donnybrook / Kilmacud / Stillorgan corridor is served by almost too many buses.

Too many buses? you want to get to college on time and not have to wait ages for a bus. There is two very regular buses that come if you live near the N11.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Too many buses? you want to get to college on time and not have to wait ages for a bus. There is two very regular buses that come if you live near the N11.

"Almost too Many" - a phrase that means plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Depends when you're getting it too. I get it at the Crumlin cross roads and up to around there the times on the bus stop are fairly accurate. There's also a new bus time updater thing at the bus stop near the Carlisle gym which is handy enough. I'd say to anyone in Kimmage to be at the bus stop fairly close to whenever the bus leaves the terminus. Sometimes they don't come, this has happened to me maybe 4 times going to UCD last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

In the mornings, going from Rialto into UCD the 17 is actually very reliable. It's only going home later that the timetable is useless. You'll be fine getting into college, but just make sure to leave an hour to get the bus in for 9am lectures.

Advertisement