Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare medical (for anxiety)

Options
  • 03-08-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I have been signed off work by my GP for almost a year now due to severe anxiety.
    I tried lots of other remedies (CBT, psychiatrist, meds) but nothing has been very effective.
    I have now been called for a social welfare medical in a couiple of weeks and am so scared of what is going to happen, im afraid they are going to say that im fit to work - which i know im not as i can hardly leave the house on my own.
    Also if they say im fit to work, my illness benefit will be gone and dont think i qualify for jobseekers as DH works (not great money though), we have a small daughter and another on the way and im sick with worry about how we would cope, i know its only €188 / week but i can make it go a long way when i have to.

Has anyone been for one of these medicals and if so what happened?
    Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonathanAd

Hi Martha, I would like to suggest you that you should not be worried about it that much because if you think that you are not 100% fit then i do not think that they will be able to declare you cent percent fit as it will take lots of things to proved by them too So just do not worry as it will make you more susceptible for anxiety disorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As the other posters have mentioned, there's nothing to be worried about. I've been through one in the past and they'll basically go through your medical history, etc.
    It's straight forward enough. If you feel you need to bring someone along for support, I think that's allowed. I'm pretty sure I had a support worker with me at the time, although I can't remember fully.
    As Perplexed4 stated, it's trickier trying to get the medical all clear for when you feel able to come off the payment and return to work funnily enough :/
    I'd also like to recommend a book by Aine Tubridy, When Panic Attacks. There's an audio cd included which is rather helpful.
    Best of luck and try not to stress yourself out about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

this isnt about your medical but more your anxiety

i went to numerous people regarding my anxiety and to be honest i know exactly why it was happening and why i still had it , i knew more than some doctors or therapists because i was living it , half of them never had an anxiety attack

i dont suffer with them anymore ( well very rarely ) and i had them for 12 years

pm me if u want and i'll explain what i did and maybe it could help you ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

martha34 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been signed off work by my GP for almost a year now due to severe anxiety.
    I tried lots of other remedies (CBT, psychiatrist, meds) but nothing has been very effective.
    I have now been called for a social welfare medical in a couiple of weeks and am so scared of what is going to happen, im afraid they are going to say that im fit to work - which i know im not as i can hardly leave the house on my own.
    Also if they say im fit to work, my illness benefit will be gone and dont think i qualify for jobseekers as DH works (not great money though), we have a small daughter and another on the way and im sick with worry about how we would cope, i know its only €188 / week but i can make it go a long way when i have to.

Has anyone been for one of these medicals and if so what happened?
    Thanks for any info.

Hi Martha.
    Don't be fretting too much, just bring along a letter from your GP etc to your medical, SW are beginning to tighten up a good bit, but they know who is spoofing and who is not, best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭busymom31

dont worry its a gp that will conduct the interview and he will know you are genuine by the questions he asks..

they need to do these reviews to find out if there are ppl claiming that shouldnt be...

try not stress you dont want to make yourself more anxious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 martha34

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I am feeling a bit better about it now, its not on until next week so will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

99% of the things we worry about never actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 martha34

Thanks Galway K9 ♥
    You are right but i cant help but worry, its in my nature. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Its not a nature its a state of mind, i had the same if not worse than you and one day got so bad i gave up.....not preaching or anything but a book that really halped me was "The Power of Now", i barely worry now :)

Advertisement