Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice tatoo artist in Limerick,or Galway?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for somebody nice and not too macho?Live in Limerick and am a regular visitor to Galway. I know of Danny Bullmans and Inkfingers,can anyone recommend other options?.

Going to get a compass,for starters!....

Can somone direct my compass somewhere?.

Danke schoen!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

If you are travelling from Limerick to Galway, might be worth checking out Clowntown Tattoos and Piercings in Ennis. Lovely bunch of people, very professional, and very good at what they do. They have more up-to-date portfolios on their facebook pages, but here's some of their older stuff:

http://www.clowntowntattoos.com/

Even call in to them there on Parnell Street (down between the Cinema and Charlie Stewart's Pub), they have portfolios there on the counter you can browse through.

Also in Galway, go talk to the lads in AWOL. They are new to Galway, but have years of experience. I haven't seen much of their work, but I've heard it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

hiya, I'd recommend Allstar ink in Limerick they're a really nice bunch of lads and they do really good clean work. i'v had two tattoos tattoos done in there and i'm really happy with them both Ross Nagle has a blog if you want to check out his work before you decide where to go .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Another vote for Ross Nagle in Allstar.

One of the few Irish artists that stacks up well internationally, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Another vote for Ross Nagle in Allstar.

One of the few Irish artists that stacks up well internationally, IMO.

His work is the best I've seen from any Irish artrist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks,went to Allstar and the apprentice said theyre busy,to call back in a few weeks,with prints. Does it hurt much? Do tatoos' fade much?.

• Advertisement

I just re-read your initial post and realised you want a compass. Allstar should be a good choice, as Ross Nagle seems to really bias towards doing traditional style work.

I know they have guys coming up doing guest spots over the next while, you might snag someone good that way too.
    Does it hurt much?

Depends on the placement - some parts of the body are more sensitive than others. It also really just depends on your mental attitude, how much sleep you've had, whether you've eaten and (obviously) your general pain tolerance.
    Do tatoos' fade much?

That'd mostly depend on how well you look after your tattoo. If it were on your hands or in a place where it's constantly getting hit by the sun then it's going to degrade faster than it would otherwise. In general if a tattoo is in the sun (sunbathing, for example, or even a sleeve going down past the elbow or something) then it should have sunblock on it. You'll get tired of doing it, but not as tired as you'd get looking at a prematurely faded tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

It's always a good sign when a shop is really busy :) . The best description i could give of the pain is a hot scratch but like blacksheep said it depends on the area and your pain tolerance. i wouldn't worry about the pain too much i'm a girl and i managed to get both sides of my ribs tattoed without crying or passing out :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

lol what does it matter if the tattoist is macho or not once they do a good job

That's like asking what does it matter how the staff are in a shop,your just shopping,doesn't matter how crude the staff are.

To me wherever I go personalities matter a lot. In a shop,a hairdressers or hiring an engineer. If I don't take to the personalities involved I won't return. The long face, as though your troubling them by being there,who wants that?.

In a tatoo 'parlour' specifically I want to feel comfortable with the artists,I'll have more confidence in them and feel better if theyr'e warm and good company. Personalities mean a lot to me,some interpersonal skills for anyone in business,isn't asking much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Frecklefart90

There is a new studio after opening up in Shannon if you wanted to go out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Aengus in AWOL in Galway is absolutely brilliant. Can't praise him enough. Coincidentally he posted on his facebook saying if you're in Limerick Allstar is the place to go so I'd say they're pretty good as well.

In regards pain I have a terrible tolerance for pain, I'm a complete baby so was expecting getting tattooed to hurt like a bitch and it wasn't that bad at all. It is sore, don't get me wrong, but you tend to build it up so much n your head that it's no where near as bad as you think.

Interesting point made earlier - does it matter if a tattooist is unlikeable so long as he puts down a clean tattoo?

I can understand the argument that, really, what's going to matter to the customer in 5 years is whether or not the tattoo still looks great, and whether it was well-designed and placed correctly in the first place... In the great scheme of things the skill of the tattooist matters more to me than whether or not they're the sort of person I could be friends with.

...But on the other hand, there are quite a few great tattooists out there to choose from (providing your willing to travel, at least). I'd rather give my money to the ones who are both great artists and also treat their customers well. It shouldn't be a choice of 'either / or'.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I would really recommend Aengus in AWOL. He did my first and he did an awesome job.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

I think it defiantly matters what the staff are like!

personally i go where the macho men are... om nom nom

although there's a lot to be said for a man that looks home less and built!

a man that looks home less and built! --- what do you mean by that exactly?...not criticising you,just curious as to what you mean!:)

scruffy... reallllllllllllll scruffy!!!

clear and what does om ,nom,nom mean?.

:)..is that a regional dialect?.

I'm going to go for the compass,an old compass on an old map,possibly with scrolls.

Any idea how to maybe brighten it up with some red,blue or green?.

Below is something like what I'm thinking of,not exactly that shot but similar,maybe without the rope.

7122271-old-map-compass-and-navigation-equipment.jpg

om nom nom would mean delicious!

where are you putting this tattoo?? I'm interested cause i have a compass on my back that's gonna be on a map like that eventually... mind you mine'll be all grey scale!

On my lower back...an old style compass,old style map and scroll,would symbolise my search for direction and uncertainty....If I could somehow just find a way of integrating some bright colour somewhere. Oh so a map could be added later then?.....

well for my back the map was an after thought so i've had to talk to loadsa artists about it, have a design being drawn up now so it should be cool but ideally you should have the whole picture before you start, just happened that my compass would fit and not look stupid! I'd have done it in dark brown if i was doing it again but I'm happy with the plan...

pop into an artist with some pics of what ya want, tell em ya want yer bit o colour and they'll be able to help ya much more than those here im sure...

the cronicals of narnia books i read as a kid had these kind of maps and compasses in them and they were like grey and black except the waves were like ^'s of blue and the hills were M's of green... looked cool in a book... could be seriously dodge on yer skin

• Advertisement

Any trad-style representation of a compass can be pretty colourful. Google 'traditional tattoo compass' and you'll find a bunch of them.

This is one by Valerie Vargas, for example - http://weheartit.com/entry/5052796

Typically the casing is done in a gold or yellow and after that whatever detailing you like picked out in whatever contrasting colour.

Thanks again. There seems to be a contrast between realistic compass designs,such as the one I posted earlier and arty but unrealistic one's. Maybe a traditional style isn't compatible with red or green,maybe I need to do that with a different tatoo!:)....maybe a flower on my foot or upper back. I'l post a photo when hopefuly I have it done.

Hows your hair these days Sparkles? remember you posting about your blonde aspirations a while back.:)

don't write off that tat yet, if it's something you want just go have a chat with some artists! Must go up and talk to someone about my sleeve design actually...

white blonde hair, finally... and had a whim and went pink for oxegen... ugh how i hate that festival... i then decided im too old to have pink hair so white blonde again... check you and your remembering... I was gonna post a pic there but the only one i have is me with a ferret sitting on my head...

When I said 'typically' in regards to colours I was talking really loosely - there's no hard and fast rules, so I wouldn't pass up whatever your idea is that easily. Whatever you're thinking of might work out really well.

I never had a clear vision of how I'd integrate bright colour with that tatoo.

Actually I a colleague said today that for a first I should go for something small,just in case the pain is too much. So I might go for a red/green/blue flower,on my foot maybe for starters.

Your never too old Sparkles,don't allow society to brainwash you into unnecessary conformity.

I hope the ferret found your head comfortable!:)

no no that was me saying i was too old... no she didnt find it comfy she also scartched my face and neck... little weasel... cute though :P

I see where your buddy is coming from butttttttttttttt tattoos dont feel the same on every part of your body, it wont be as bad as you think it will be and it doesnt matter even if you find it awful you'll finish it because its kinda one of those things you gotta finish once you start... unless you want to have a 7 legged spider on your neck like a buddy of mine who couldnt deal with the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

I know people how have gotten tattoos done in Awol in galway city, my friend got her tattoo done my someone named angus he's really good

you can check out there stuff on there facebook page if you want

Hi all had a tatoo done on my foot on Shannon St in Limk,across from Mellow Yello hair salon. Very pleased, a blue and red flower,more like a flame than a flower you'd pick. Manners were business like and professional which was fine.

I'd post a pic but have never had luck with posting any photos here or elsewhere,I can't past from an email send from my mobile?

Reflects me,another bit of myself out of the closet!...People pay 50 Euro for nail extensions or a hair colour,they only last a few weeks,I paid 3 times that but it's for life,really pleased!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

The only guy really worth going to in Galway is Aengus in AWOL. The only one i've seen with a consistently good body of work. Ross Nagle in Allstar is right at the top of the table in the country in his style IMO.

• Advertisement

Just posted what I finally got in the picture thread. foottatoo2.jpg

Well just in case it's not visible there'l I'll post again.

It's really good,the only small gripe I have is that a little yellow has since started to glimmer through some of the red,can anything be done about this?.

Advertisement