Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being chased for VAT/customs duty I already paid

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I hope this is the correct section.
    In May I ordered a number of goods online and they arrived via DHL. When the driver came to the door I paid him cash, he said he had no way to give me a receipt but one would be sent out in 3-4 days, I thought that was a bit odd but thought nothing more of it until today. The receipt never arrived but I got a letter from a debt collection agency chasing me up for the money.
    This driver delivered a package to someone I know a while back, the customs tax/duty had already been paid (thru amazon) and he charged it a second time insisting it hadn't been paid..a quick call to the main centre and they apologized for his mistake.
    Does anyone know where I stand here? I had someone else there while I paid but it's basically my word against DHL since I paid in cash.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not start by phoning DHL and explaining the situation to them first? Then come back for advise based on your experience. You may well sort it all with one phonecall.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with DHL as soon as possible. They would definitely be interested in hearing if a deliveryman is collecting monies, but not issuing any receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Tried calling dhl but no answer, I ended up calling the debt collection agency who were surprisingly friendly. Explained the situation to the guy on the phone who said he will contact DHL for me but it may be next week before they respond. He mentioned something about writing a letter with an account of what happened if DHL insist I didn't pay the money. Hoping it won't come to that. Just think it's very shady that this same delivery man tried to rip off my friend before and told me I would be posted a receipt which never happened.
    Will report back when I hear from either DHL or the debt collection agency.

Advertisement