Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Certificate in Legal Studies (Level 6) in WIT

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I am going to college in September to do this course at night, 2 nights a week.

I have been unable to get any response from WIT despite writing numerous e-mails and calling the college itself gets me no further because it is just an administration office that I can speak to. What I am looking for is information on the course material. Do I need books for this course? What books do I need? Should I buy them now or wait until the course has started to find out what books we actually need rather than buying everything off a vast list of course materials? I would like to be able to start buying the books now so that I don't have to fork out a lot of money come September and I don't want to begin the course without the necessary study material.

If anyone has studied this course or knows where I could get the information I want I'd really appreciate a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You'll get most of the books in the college library so you don't need to buy the books. Also, you'll probably get a lot of notes to print off with the information you need from lecturers.

You might be better to hold off buying books as a lot of colleges have book sales the first or second week of term so the books will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

QUOTE=Larianne;73625435]You'll get most of the books in the college library[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this, it would be nice tho if the college would give you the book list so that you can plan ahead and research the library to see if you can indeed get the books from the library.

Consider if you have a class of 50 or so and all the students in the class need the same book, but the library only has 20 copies, then you'd be fecked, im in the same boat im starting in LYIT sent the head of department an e-mail to ask for a book list and got back a ( what i would call patronizing) response which said that it would be best for me to wait wait until i got to LYIT and that the teachers will let us know then.

DIT on the other hand is very transparent, and they have links on there web site for each module of the course with useful information like required/recommended reading learning outcomes etc It's very comprehensive.

Me personally im not going to push this issue with LYIT as i dont want to piss the head of the department off, after all these are the people who will be grading your exams and assignments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

QUOTE=Larianne;73625435]You'll get most of the books in the college library

Totally agree with this, it would be nice tho if the college would give you the book list so that you can plan ahead and research the library to see if you can indeed get the books from the library.

Consider if you have a class of 50 or so and all the students in the class need the same book, but the library only has 20 copies, then you'd be fecked, im in the same boat im starting in LYIT sent the head of department an e-mail to ask for a book list and got back a ( what i would call patronizing) response which said that it would be best for me to wait wait until i got to LYIT and that the teachers will let us know then.

DIT on the other hand is very transparent, and they have links on there web site for each module of the course with useful information like required/recommended reading learning outcomes etc It's very comprehensive.

Me personally im not going to push this issue with LYIT as i dont want to piss the head of the department off, after all these are the people who will be grading your exams and assignments.[/QUOTE]

I have sent 3 very detailed emails and 1 simple email just requesting the book list and still no reply. I have called the WIT campus number but that just puts me through to a general admin office. I'm just hoping i won't have to fork out hundreds when college starts up

PM me the number your calling.

Another question about this course... my employer has asked if there is Fas funding available for this course. Again, I have tried ringing the college and no answer yet (will keep trying) but just wondering if anyone here knows the score on this one?

• Advertisement

FAS should know

Waterford City LES

Mr Charlie Spillane,
    Waterford City LES,
    Westgate Retail Park,
    Tramore Road,
    Waterford

Tel: +353 (0)51 304 951
    Fax: +353 (0)51 304 952
    Email: Charlie.spillane@les.fas.ie
    info@wcles.ie

Local Employment Service Office

41 John Street,
    Waterford

Tel: +353 (0)51 844 411
    Fax: +353 (0)51 844 530

But if your employer is funding this return to education shouldn't he/she be doing this research, sounds like your boss is a bit slack

FAS should know

Waterford City LES

Mr Charlie Spillane,
    Waterford City LES,
    Westgate Retail Park,
    Tramore Road,
    Waterford

Tel: +353 (0)51 304 951
    Fax: +353 (0)51 304 952
    Email: Charlie.spillane@les.fas.ie
    info@wcles.ie

Local Employment Service Office

41 John Street,
    Waterford

Tel: +353 (0)51 844 411
    Fax: +353 (0)51 844 530

But if your employer is funding this return to education shouldn't he/she be doing this research, sounds like your boss is a bit slack

Thanks again, called Fas and no, no Fas funding available. You now have to be in receipt of Social Welfare to be eligible.

My employer slack? Understatement of the century.

Advertisement