Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What companies are in charge of plays in ireland?

• 03-08-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

What companies are in charge of plays in Ireland? I have some big ideas that I think they would be pleased to hear and would love to get in touch.
    Tagged:

Comments

Could you be more specific? All theatre companies choose what they put on. Do you just have an idea for a play? Unless you approach your local theatre company and talk it through with them, you're going to at least need a script. You could partner up with a script writer and get it done that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mouthforwar93

Could you be more specific? All theatre companies choose what they put on. Do you just have an idea for a play? Unless you approach your local theatre company and talk it through with them, you're going to at least need a script. You could partner up with a script writer and get it done that way.

I have an idea to put across of a remake of another film, a new interpetation of a very big film that has never been done before in ireland and could be really, really famous...

I'm not being smart here (no, really!) but you're going to need something more than just an idea to be honest. That is, unless you are friends with a theatre company, where they may be able to devise a play around your idea. The idea is the easy part, the writing and discipline to sit down and write it are the really tough parts.

Regarding interpretations: I'm just starting to create a new theatre company called "Blue Gun Theatre". Our mission is to make, "bubblegum for the mind theatre". That is, theatre that doesn't require a lot of thinking about afterwards. To this end, we'll be adapting films for the stage as well as TV shows and the like. You're going to have to get permission to adapt the film into a play from whoever owns the copyright. For example, I adapted "The Twilight Zone" for the stage, but was refused copyright from CBS as they have a film coming out soon. So I can't put it on. Boo to them!
    But it's not all doom and gloom, 3/4 years ago, the theatre heads on here founded a group later called "No Drama Theatre". Their forum can be found here. I was one of the founder members of the group and our first play we put on was an adaptation of the radio play "War of the Worlds". I put enough of a new slant on it that royalties weren't a problem to get around.
    Find yourself a scriptwriter, have a chat with them about your idea, don't expect to get paid for it as concept is a hard thing to prove! And the scriptwriter will be the one tearing his hair out as he constantly gets more and more frustated with deadlines, monoloues, scene changes... (or maybe that's just me)

Good luck!

Advertisement