Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Paypal on site

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask in, but here goes..... I want to use Paypal in my soon to launch site, BUT I am absolutely terrified of fraud, not in the case that I don't get paid, but in the case of, if someone manages to get hold of a client's payment details and uses them fraudulently. I contacted PayPal, but it seems that even though they process the payment and charge you for the pleasure of doing so, the liability for such things lies with the vendor..... is this true? is there a more secure payment method I could use instead? Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There's a small minimal fee for using the Paypal service but its all processed on their end... perfectly viable and safe option for you, nothing to worry about in my opinion just add the button and customise the Paypal page your product is directed too when someone hits buy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

screamer wrote: »
    if someone manages to get hold of a client's payment details and uses them fraudulently.
    I think Paypal misunderstood your concern...

If a card is used fraudulently on your site (ie. a stolen card is used to purchase goods from you) then yes, you are liable. You will be forced to refund the card. This is the policy of VISA, Mastercard, etc and not really anything to do with PAYPAL.

I think your question though relates to a legitimate transaction on your site* where the payment details are intercepted (ie. stolen) and then used fraudulently somewhere else? In this case the 'somewhere else' would be liable. But it never happens... or at least I've never heard of it happen. Paypal process millions of transactions everyday and millions of merchants use their services without a glitch. You simply have nothing to worry about on this front.

*The transaction does not actually take place on your site of course. That's why you are using Paypal.

On a side note... One thing that does annoy me (and millions others) is Paypal chargeback policy. It seems the customer is ALWAYS right and no matter what the complaint or what your response is, Paypal will ALWAYS pay the chargeback. Make sure you get POD's on everything you send out and keep them forever! And if you are selling anything in a digital format (ie. customer downloads from your site directly) then expect to refund a large % of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Also, you may or may not know that Paypal do not accept LASER payments. If your site it targeted at Irish users this can mean a big loss in sales. If you wish to accept Laser you might want to consider www.realex.ie.

Incidentally, AIB are the only bank now issuing Laser cards so this is probably less of a concern though there are sill a lot out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Scotty, thanks, you got it in one. Thanks for that, and thanks for the advise regarding realex. I am going to start out with paypal, and if I start getting busier (let's hope), then I will definately look into realex.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement