Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflexology and acupuncture

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi girls. I was just wondering if anyone has tried reflexology and acupuncture to get things moving along towards the end of the pregnancy? I've 4 days to go to my due date on my first pregnancy and someone recommended reflexology to me. Another person said I was too late starting and baby would come eventually. I'm just trying to get things going naturally without having to be induced but at 50 euro a pop I don’t want to be a fool wasting money on something that might not do anything for me. Any advice out there.

Comments

Here is a list of the peer reviewed research that has found that reflexology and acupuncture have positive effects other than placebo:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was chatting to my aunt who's a midwife last weekend and I was asking her about this (I have a fear of going overdue and having to be induced) and she was saying there's no concrete way (other than induction) that's guaranteed to get things moving. In her experience she said gravity is the best thing, try and get a gentle walk in every day and that should help.

The midwife who did my prenatal class said one of the best ways to get them out is the same way they got in there in the first place, so make what you want of that!

Loads of people have told me that castor oil is a sure fire way of getting things moving, but when I mentioned it to my GP he said they don't recommend you do it because it basically causes a violent dose of the runs and apparently if you've had horrendous diahorrea for the 24 hours before you give birth, you'll be absolutely exhausted, and it can also lead to the labour being very quick and a bit scary.

If it were me I'd probably try the walking, sex or bouncing on one of those birth balls before shelling out €50 for the reflexology. Give your hospital or your doc a call and ask them if it actually works before you do it. I'd be raging if I forked over a load of cash for reflexology and ended up having to be induced anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I had one seesion of reflexology and still went overdue by 8 days!

I'd recommend it anyway, it was soooo relaxing! there won't be much of that after the baby comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I had quite a few sessions of reflexology when I was pregnant and it was fantastic. It was unbelievably relaxing, especially after working all day carting a massive bump around and I felt great after. I actually fell asleep during one session!

However, I don't think it helped speed things up - I went over by 11 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dangerd

Thanks girls. I was thinking the same thing myself. Four days over now and I dont think this little bundle has any intention of coming out any time soon. Its having too much fun practising high kicks in there to leave. Went for my last appointment today and the doc gave me a sweep so if that doesn't get things moving the next step is induction which I was hoping to avoid but its gotta come out at some stage. The countdown is on so one of these old wives tales better work :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Nipple stimulation can encourage labour to start and to speed up. Confirmed by many women who were attended my midwife Ina May Gaskin in USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I wouldn't go down the castor oil road if I were you. I tried it in desperation when I was overdue with my first and being threatened with induction...I was in ribbons and ended up having to be induced anyway. If you're not yet overdue then relax- the best outcome for you and your baby will be if you go into labour naturally, when they want to come, not because you've been poked or prodded or flushed out. Its an exercise in patience which is good practice for the next eighteen plus years of parenting!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, ladies.

I highly recommend reflexology. I go to a lady in Wicklow she is really great, I was hesitant at the beginning but now I couldn't go a few months with out a treatment. It helps if the therapist is down to earth and makes the place inviting, especially if you have never been for a treatment before. I find it helps with my backpain which I have been suffering with for over 10 years thanks to an office job. You should look up Valeria Holleran http://www.holistic-space2heal.com/ my friend told me about her she used to go to her in Rathfarnham but she now operates out of her home in Wicklow. Lovely treatments and affordable pricing, well worth a trip from Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Take it from somone who ended up giving birth 17 days late and tried everything except sex, try the sex! Had two accupuncture sessions, bounced for weeks on my ball, walked loads, ate lots of pineapple and curries but if he/she doesnt want to come out theres not a huge amount you can do. My friend swears by doing the deed and she gave birth on her due date, wish Id tried it now ;):D

Best of luck, it will happen very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Oh I see you would have already given birth. Hope it went well!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement