Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing double bed in rented apt with our own

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We recently purchased a new double bed for our room. The double bed provided by the landlord just wasn't comfortable and causing back issues, its not broken, just a very basic uncomfortable mattress.

What I am wondering is, does the landlord have an obligation for storing it or removing it if we don't want to use it? Just wondering how to tackle this.

cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

We recently purchased a new double bed for our room. The double bed provided by the landlord just wasn't comfortable and causing back issues, its not broken, just a very basic uncomfortable mattress.

What I am wondering is, does the landlord have an obligation for storing it or removing it if we don't want to use it? Just wondering how to tackle this.

cheers
    The landlord has no such obligation. It is up to you to have the landlords bed available at the end of the letting. It should be in the condtion you got it in less normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

The landlord has no such obligation. It is up to you to have the landlords bed available at the end of the letting. It should be in the condtion you got it in less normal wear and tear.

Are you sure about this?

Im pretty sure if you want to replace the bed its up to the landlord to store the old one??

I had the same issue & the landlord gladly took the old bed out for my new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you sure about this?

Im pretty sure if you want to replace the bed its up to the landlord to store the old one??

I had the same issue & the landlord gladly took the old bed out for my new one.

Bath is right. If a house/apartment is rented as furnished it is rented with that furniture, that is what the tenant accepts. If the OP wants to buy their own bed, it is up to them to store the landlord's property appropriately as bath has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Bath is correct.
    Many landlords would be happy to store their own bed, as it'll be in good repair then for the next tenant and save them possibly having to buy a new one. But they are not obligated to do so if they do not have space (it may cost them money if they'd need to rent a storage space especially for the bed for example).

Advertisement