Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Harp Logo

Options
  • 03-08-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Would the 'Harp Logo' (N.B. Not the Harp Lager Logo)be property of anybody, or would it be in the public domain?

I know the Irish Government use it - would its use be restricted on this basis?

Also the fact that Guinness/Harp/Diageo use it, would that create legal problems?

I was hoping to incorporate it into the logo of my company - it would be quite high profile - in weekly press advertisements etc.
    The reason for the harp is that the company is currently struggling with brand identity and many people assume the company is english, which our competitors have jumped on.

Harp_logo_2008.jpg5.jpgHarp_Lager-logo-5CA922D652-seeklogo.com.gifRyanair_Logo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

So I'd say that a Harp is not property of anyone. However you couldn't copy how the guiness harp looks etc, as they make their harp unique. So as long as your harp is unique you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The harp is a protected state emblem of Ireland.

You will notice that the Guinness and Harp versions are facing the other direction.
    You cannot trademark a harp unless it is sufficiently different from the Irish Government harp.
    Think of the Harp used in the Ryanair logo.

See this page for further details.

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/state_emblems.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Zamboni wrote: »
    The harp is a protected state emblem of Ireland.

You will notice that the Guinness and Harp versions are facing the other direction.
    You cannot trademark a harp unless it is sufficiently different from the Irish Government harp.
    Think of the Harp used in the Ryanair logo.

See this page for further details.

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/state_emblems.aspx

So, would it be a case that I would have to get the logo designed (making it look sufficiently different) and then submit it to the Irish Patents Office for approval before putting it to use publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

bigneacy wrote: »
    So, would it be a case that I would have to get the logo designed (making it look sufficiently different) and then submit it to the Irish Patents Office for approval before putting it to use publicly?

Yes.
    And from experience, I would save yourself the costs that would be incurred and choose something else.
    They are very protective of the harp and the shamrock and rightly so, I suppose!

Advertisement