Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever met any famous people and what were they like?

• 03-08-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I've met;

Shane Filan of Westlife - nice guy and very down to Earth. All the girls were asking for photos and the security guards said no. But then they asked Shane when he came down and he said they could. I met him at the VIP area at Oxegen and told him my cousin said hi (she would never forgive me if I didn't tell him that). He just said "thanks a million"

Nadine Coyle (Girls Aloud) - sweetest woman you could ever meet. We hugged and she gave me a kiss and signed my album. She was also not like one of those other celebs who was in a hurry and didn't let you stay around. She let me get a picture with her and all and just treated me like she knew me well

Jedward - out of their minds but I wouldn't really complain. Just seemed like a pair of overgrown kids

Bill Cullen - again out of his mind but in a good way. I just told him how awesome it would be to become the first Irish astronaut. He was just like "it will be great"

The Saw Doctors - middle aged men but at the same time they still had the energy and enthusiasm for performing. I met them at the Hot Press signing tent just before their performance at Oxegen

Dara Quilty (Spin 1038 DJ) - awesome guy. He was great with the rest of the fans, making mad poses for photographs and writing personal dedications on all autographs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Famous people or annoying Irish "celebrities"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

chin_grin wrote: »
    Famous people or annoying Irish "celebrities"?

Anyone you want to write about who is known to the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I met the Darkness after they supported Metallica in the RDS a few years ago, all I remember about them is that eventhough they were just off the stage the smelled amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Cardigans were really nice people.
    Saxon, great guys, we had a few beers after a concert I helped arranging with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

karaokeman wrote: »
    I've met;

Shane Filan of Westlife
    Nadine Coyle (Girls Aloud)
    Jedward
    Bill Cullen
    The Saw Doctors
    Dara Quilty (Spin 1038 DJ) -

Ok. Have you ever met any famous people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

John Deegan from fair city played by Tommy O'Neill,

Jumped into a taxi in Dublin on way to gig at Marlay park and he was driving, pure sound man, had great craic with him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Met Amy Winehouse in a bar in Camden 18 months ago.

It was surreal. She came into the Dublin Castle on a Sunday Night where we were after being at the Carling Cup final and she went in behind the bar and served away as if she worked there.

She was sober as a judge and the manager told us she did it on a regular basis.

She was honestly so nice and friendly.

Really feel sorry for the way her life turned out after meeting her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭spence101

No joke, saw Mickey Joe Hart hanging around the lane beside coppers last night, just waiting for yang wans to take into his flat he rented around the corner, he's been married for ten or so years.......

suppose its better than having a **** when the missus leaves ya for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bendihorse wrote: »
    John Deegan from fair city played by Tommy O'Neill,

Jumped into a taxi in Dublin on way to gig at Marlay park and he was driving, pure sound man, had great craic with him :)
    It doesn't really count if they were driving a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

karaokeman wrote: »
    Nadine Coyle (Girls Aloud) - sweetest woman you could ever meet. We hugged and she gave me a kiss and signed my album. She was also not like one of those other celebs who was in a hurry and didn't let you stay around. She let me get a picture with her and all and just treated me like she knew me well

You're a man with a Girls Aloud album?

Forshame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Met George Bush when he was over for the meeting with the EU in Dromoland Castle when Ireland held the EU Presidancy. Only met him for a second (I was working at the event) but he was a very nice and down to earth guy... That same summer George Murphy from You're A Star (Remember him?! Anyone at all?!) also stayed in the hotel... Couldn't say the same thing about him. True it was just after the show ended and all of Ireland had watched it, but still! He was in full on Diva mode!

Nicest I met though has to either be Gabriel Byrne or else the guy who played Bradley from Eastenders

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

Glen Hansard- Really lovely guy. Had time for everybody who wanted a handshake, autograph, photo or just a chat. I met him in Chicago and we were both going to be in Seattle at the weekend and when he heard this he offered me a free ticket to their show there! We also had a great chat about tea. He said he's more of a Lyons man but we both agreed that Tesco Fairtrade is a great tea.

Aaron Sorkin- A very funny man and great in front of a crowd, one on one he's very humble and extremely friendly.

Danny Boyle- A true sweetheart. A seriously nice guy. Again, one of those people who had time for anyone who wanted a handshake, photo, autograph or chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Davyhal wrote: »
    Met George Bush when he was over for the meeting with the EU in Dromoland Castle when Ireland held the EU Presidancy. Only met him for a second (I was working at the event) but he was a very nice and down to earth guy... That same summer George Murphy from You're A Star (Remember him?! Anyone at all?!) also stayed in the hotel... Couldn't say the same thing about him. True it was just after the show ended and all of Ireland had watched it, but still! He was in full on Diva mode!

Nicest I met though has to either be Gabriel Byrne or else the guy who played Bradley from Eastenders

I didn't :mad:

CucaFace wrote: »
    Met Amy Winehouse in a bar in Camden 18 months ago.

It was surreal. She came into the Dublin Castle on a Sunday Night where we were after being at the Carling Cup final and she went in behind the bar and served away as if she worked there.

She was sober as a judge and the manager told us she did it on a regular basis.

She was honestly so nice and friendly.

Really feel sorry for the way her life turned out after meeting her.

Where's the punch line I'm dying for it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 whiteknucles

Met the band Sepultura and had a beer in their tourbus nice lads, met Lars and James from Metallica - not really friendly tbh - all of Faith No More - seemed ok a little tired of meeting fans in the Westbury -
    That lad from Westlife was on a Ryanair flight beside us to Portugal recently - he has a 100 kids - the wife (nice girl) did all the work while rockstar lay back with his shades on and slept.
    He spent more time worrying about being spotted than helping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

Met the Bee gees, they were sound. Also met Woody Allen, he was a nut job. it was when i worked in a hotel, so got to meet a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Where's the punch line I'm dying for it???

Amy Winhouse....line....dying

Theres a joke in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Why oh why oh why...do people say when they meet famous people
    ''they were very down to earth''

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

John Kerry who ran for US presidency in 2004.
    Bill O' Herlihy
    Shane Filan
    Orlagh (Irish blonde girl) from Big Brother
    Arthur Scargill
    Few politicians

Probably met a few others but no-one very famous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

Also met Bertie Ahern in 2007. He seemed fatter in person than on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Kelsey Grammer - he was grand, friendly enough.
    Delta Goodrem - nice.

Others not particularly famous:
    Amy Huberman - lovely.
    Various politicians, journalists, TV presenters - mostly alright.

Tupamaros wrote: »
    John Kerry who ran for US presidency in 2004.
    Bill O' Herlihy
    Shane Filan
    Orlagh (Irish blonde girl) from Big Brother
    Arthur Scargill
    Few politicians

Probably met a few others but no-one very famous really.

You could've just answered ''no i haven't met any'' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I met Linda Hogan and Julia Style who were super nice! Julia Styles is so beautiful, not a speck of make up on her too!

Kinda met Linsay Lohan but she couldn't stop cause she was getting hounded by paparazzi but she did wave from her car.

One of the Olsen twins nearly hit me with their car, I think it was Ashley.

Met the singer from 2 Unlimited, such a nice girl!

And the usual Irish "celebs," Mary Kingston and Derek Mooney, Chris Doran, Christy Moore and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

I met Angelina Jolie in Shannon airport when i worked there a few years ago. She was on a refuelling stop over in a private jet on her way back from cannes. She was happy to pose for photos and sign autographs for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Fortycoats was lovely, gave me a little dance around Easons I think it was, when I was young. I seriously could not believe my luck. I miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I met Linda Hogan and Julia Style who were super nice! Julia Styles is so beautiful, not a speck of make up on her too!

Kinda met Linsay Lohan but she couldn't stop cause she was getting hounded by paparazzi but she did wave from her car.

One of the Olsen twins nearly hit me with their car, I think it was Ashley.

Met the singer from 2 Unlimited, such a nice girl!

And the usual Irish "celebs," Mary Kingston and Derek Mooney, Chris Doran, Christy Moore and the likes.

The mushroom kingdom sounds dangerous :eek: I hope Mario lobbed a flame at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Amanda Brunker - hawwwt, incredible in the sack, bit rough the next morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ha ha ha Chris Doran is NOT a celebrity!!!,he is lots of things and a celebrity is definitely not one of them....

• Advertisement

Oh we always get famous people in the shop I work too doing book signings. Had Philomena Linnott, very nice, very classy lady. Ryan Tubrity (whose name it took me 5 minutes too remember) VERY energetic and a bit overly friendly and happy, so tall and skinny and very badly dressed but couldn't really say a bad word about him like.

Amanda Brunker too and that girl who won Miss World the other year, Rosanna Davis or something.

Johhny Giles who got a massive crowd. I didn't go to meet him cause I hadn't a clue who he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Absurdum wrote: »
    Amanda Brunker - hawwwt, incredible in the sack, bit rough the next morning

That must have been the morning she performed at Oxegen, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Loads and they were just people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I had dinner with Brenda Fricker when I was a child. She was my dad's guest of honour. She was really nice, chatted away and laughed along with all our mob like she was part of the family.

Oh we always get famous people in the shop I work too doing book signings. Had Philomena Linnott, very nice, very classy lady. Ryan Tubrity (whose name it took me 5 minutes too remember) VERY energetic and a bit overly friendly and happy, so tall and skinny and very badly dressed but couldn't really say a bad word about him like.

Amanda Brunker too and that girl who won Miss World the other year, Rosanna Davis or something.

Johhny Giles who got a massive crowd. I didn't go to meet him cause I hadn't a clue who he was.

So you work in the book centre then ;)

So you work in the book centre then ;)

Stalk much? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

3 or 4 years ago, I was working for an electrical wholesaler and our M.D. was having a meeting with the M.D. from another electrical wholesaler in Scotland. I was chatting to this guy for a while and walked him out to his car. When I was walking back into the job, some of the fellas I worked with told me he was some big premiership footballer from the 90's. I don't follow football so I had no clue who he was. I can't even remember his name anymore but he's probably the biggest celeb I've ever met.

Mary Byrne lives next door to my cousin. My grandfather owned that house before he sold it to my cousin. So I've known her for years. And Mary's daughter Debbie used to work for my sister but my sister had to sack her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Met David Norris's boyfriend when I was 15. Gave me a right pain in the hole.

Stalk much? :eek:

Well you practically named everyone who has signed a book in there in the last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Loads.

Noel Gallagher - really nice, met him a few times and he remembered me when I ran into him in a pub years later and came over and said hello.
    Liam Gallagher - really not nice at all.
    Sean Ryder - pissed but hilarious
    Johnny Vegas - ditto
    John Thompson - my mate got him to phone his missus (this was just after Cold Feet was on) and she wouldn't believe it was him.
    Chris Evans (the DJ not the actor), lovely bloke
    Michael Parkinson - grumpy old git
    Paul Whitehouse, lovely bloke, spent an afternoon with him working on some website stuff, along with
    Charlie Higson, who was pretty reserved and didn't really want to know.
    Gary Lineker, very pleasant.
    Ryan Giggs, quiet but friendly enough.
    Jeremy Clarkson (a few times). Raced him in a go-kart!
    Former page 3 girl Jo Guest, twice. Second time spent an afternoon with her at the bike show in Birmingham (she was working on the same stand as me). Lovely girl, absolutely tiny. I pinched ciggies off her.
    Former F1 driver John Watson, Eddie Jordan and Rubens Barrichello (met them all at the Jordan factory - company I was working for had a sponsorship deal).
    Barry Sheene. My childhood hero. One of my Dad's friends was a bike racer and he took me and my brother to meet him. First famous person I ever met.

Lots more but they're the ones that stick in my memory

Oh, and I saw Catherine Zeta-Jones breastfeeding in a restaurant in LA, and Phoebe off Friends was also there (at a different table).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

I met Mariah Carey a few years ago. She was a lot nicer than I thought she would be. People were asking for autographs and her entourage were trying to stop her from signing stuff but she just ignored them.

I met Tariq that used to be in Eastenders years ago last year in Washington. He was nice - very chatty.

• Advertisement

Well you practically named everyone who has signed a book in there in the last year :)

We have 4 shops though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Charlton Heston: Shook his hand at a book signing. Stumbled backward off platform and he stood up asking was I ok? :o

Shane from Westlife: Had to ask his autograph for the gf at the time! (shame)

Roy Keane: Autograph at Old Trafford

Paul Scholes: As above

Silvester Stallone: Didn't meet but he waved at me from his car. Also responded to me indirectly on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Met Frada before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

I met Pierce Brosnan while he was playing Bond, sound as a pound so he was. real nice and not stuck up. I met most of the munster rugby team who were all savage craic except O' Gara, who is a complete dickhead! Also met Jerry Springer, Cecelia Ahern, Keith Duffy, Michael Flatley and the likes once or twice. All real nice and great to talk to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Phil Babb, Gary Kelly and Jason McAteer, a few days before they went and drew 0-0 with Liechtenstein. They were looking for a golf course in Limerick city centre.

The puppeteer who does the voice for Oscar the Grouch. When he's off camera, Oscar curses like a sailor, a gas man.

Dermot Morgan, on St Stephen's Day morning a few years before he died. He was pretty hungover but still gave us kids a few autographs and chatted to myself and my cousin about Kevin Moran, John Aldridge and other Irish players who plied their trade in Spain for a while, don't know how we got onto that topic.

I once took a phone call from Stephen Hendry, former World Snooker Champion, but he had dialled the wrong number.

Oh and I met BBC Sport presenter John Inverdale in a pub after the Ireland v England Six Nations match last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

i met mickey pierce from only fools and horses at a party in limerick a few years back smoked a few spliffs with him which i taught was pretty random..nice fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I met ray houghton yearssssss ago when he was at villa stood for photos with us.

Mentioned before somewhere I met bill o'herlihy while i was training to be a manager for Dunnes he was bang on.

randomly met Gerard McSorley(john gilligan in veronica guerin)in burdocks in Rathmines and he decided to stare at me,nod and copy my order :pac:

We have 4 shops though.

I was talking about the Waterford city shop,because I remember seeing there pictures in the local papers and a friend went to see Johnny Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

Clive Owen
    Ray Winston
    both really nice
    Nikki from westlife (looked pretty hot with a tan and shaved head)
    Ciara Knightly, she gawked me and my friends out of it and was a real bitch to the people she was working with, which totally turned me off her. Maybe it was because we were eating hamburgers and she yearned for one. She ie really pretty but even skinnier in real life. So not a fan of her anymore :P

annnnnnnnnnnd loads of people who think their famous not worth mentioning! worst was Spiral tho cause my friend made him look like a king and i wanted to die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Was in a film with James McEvoy before. He was in a wheelchair.

Colin Farrell in a pub, seemed sound.m

Brendan O Connor in town, trying not to look famous.

Heavy metal band God Forbid at a cd signing in tower records.

I served David Norris coal when I worked in Dunnes. He's so eccentric.

Talked to Brian Dowling off Big Brother and Brian Kennedy on the radio.

Damien Lewis off Band Of Brothers. Very nice chap.

Eric Cantona did an ad near where I live and I shook his hand.

Lee Evans shook my hand at the end of his comedy gig. sweaty. kinda counts.

Mairead Farrell off Today Fm - ride.

Sharon Ni Bheolean in tesco - ride - nice arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement