Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever met any famous people and what were they like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

met Eddie Izzard YEARS ago, before he was really big - in the bar at the back of the everyman palace - pink back pack, cream angora jumper - fabulous make-up...........seemed like a nice guy

the mammy and sister met Louis Walsh at a Westlife gig a few years back (they were NOT fans of his before), they love him now - I swear, it was mental, my mother ran the length of the Point shouting 'Louis louis' - my mother hasn't run anywhere in about 30 years!!!

oooohhhh, Whoopi Goldberg part-owns a bar in Gloucester in Boston and regularly serves there, my brother lived there for a few years and said she was pretty cool, he also met Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds (he was a big RR fan before he met him, not so much after), but he said SB was lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Godsentme wrote: »
    Oh dream on child of the sixties. You mean you were at gigs by all those guys! Am I right???

Oh jea sus! It's dawning on me now.....:o

Is this from the Vommitments??

someone take this hook out of me mouth pls

Says the one with the username 'Godsentme'!!!

On a fcukin' Suzuki!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

karaokeman wrote: »

Dara Quilty (Spin 1038 DJ) - awesome guy. He was great with the rest of the fans, making mad poses for photographs and writing personal dedications on all autographs

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jordo333

Eddie irvine - Dickhead

Peter kay - Really sound. stood for pics and autographs

Bret hart - nice fella.

Sergio Augero - Sound. Got pics and autograph

ossie ardiles - very nice man

Joey Barton - Surprisingly sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Was stood behind Ray D'Arcy on the North Terrace in old Lansdowne Road once. I remember that he didn't know much about rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Reekwind wrote: »
    Was stood behind Ray D'Arcy on the North Terrace in old Lansdowne Road once. I remember that he didn't know much about rugby

Surprising considered he played for Naas for years.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

The only famous people i have ever felt the need to go up and talk was Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner from Anvil in Amsterdam about 2 days after watching the film Anvil!! The story of Anvil, it was a photo opportunity that couldn't be passed up. Just walking around London i have bumped into Ricky Gervais, Simon Amstell, Russell Brand, Phil Jupitus, Melanie Sykes, Joe Cole, Gail Porter, robert webb a spice girl oh and that guy with tourettes that won big brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

MGMTea wrote: »
    Met Kenny Dalglish at a book signing, what a man.

Got to meet Paramore last year at the O2.. Hayley :D *swoon*

The cast of Dream Team (Remember them!)

that's it so far.
    Lucky she is a riode :D, I'd say she seems even smaller in person from seeing her in music videos etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Denny M wrote: »
    George Fisher, lead singer of Cannibal Corpse - Big guy, but really nice. I met him a while before a show in London, he was kinda in a rush but stopped for a short bit to talk to some fans that got there early.

Missed a chance to hang out with Alex Webster last time they played Dublin.Very nice guy from what I've heard,talked and answered questions from anyone.

Inadvertently bumped into Olavi Mikkonen from Amon Amarth,couldn't believe that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Harry Crosbie has a holiday home/recording studio beside my auntie's house, in the sticks. He's surprisingly friendly, and Bono came to visit him one day, though Bono decided not to acknowledge me when I said hello. Arsehole.

Edit: I met Hector once, too. He was good for a cúpla focail in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Ryan Tubridy - driving down the main street in Tramore (on a little caravan holiday). He was walking up the pavement. I pipped the horn and waved... he crossed over and waved like mad with both hands at the kids in the back of the car. They were thrilled.

Richard Nobel - a nice man, really very nice. At a trade show in London - he was there with Thrust SSC. He happily chatted to anybody for ages about planes, jet engines, fast cars, whatever. He was on that booth for hours. Not the usual pop in for 30 mins figure head celebrity.

Paul Weller - bumped into in a hotel hallway. I said "Hello Paul", he said "the pleasure is mine" and shook my hand as we passed. He was in the bar with that blonde bird who used to be behind the bar in Corrie.. she's one of Peter Kays buddies (edit: Sally Lindsay).. any other night I reckon I could pull her... but what chance do I have against the Modfather?

At other times, guests at same hotel (my wife worked there and told me).. Joan Rivers, B*tch. Matthew Hall (Harry Hill), tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

not my own story but a friends that I found pretty funny.

he was in Cannes for a few nights and met Julian Lennon at one of the bars. sitting away drinking and nudges the guy with his elbow saying "what's your name" oh-so-knowingly and your man goes "Jules". friend nudges again and asks "Jules who?" -"doesn't matter"
    they end up getting hammered together till the bar closes.

they leave with the body guard in tow to find a nightclub thats open on the Sunday night and the only club that was open wouldn't let them in till the body guard had a few words with the bouncer (who had no idea who john lennon or Jules was)

turns out the club was a crazy transvestite bar/strip club place. only place open so they stayed and drank champagne till the late morning.

friend worked out the next day that Jules never bought a single drink for either of them and the champagne was damn expensive and put a huge dent in his holiday savings.

never heard from Jules again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Met David Norris at a talk in college, I was taking photos for the society - sound out, and a hysterically funny story teller.

Katherine Lynch, out at a magazine party, I told her I loved her show (Working Girls) to which she replied "So do I!". Did an impression for us too:) I remember Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh was at the same party, sluh-in it up in a short dress and pulling some moves on the dance floor.

Was an extra in "Becoming Jane" when they were filming in Dublin - James McAvoy came across as a right twat, arguing with the director about how the scene should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

summerskin wrote: »
    Tom hanks and his wife, alan rickman, gwyneth Paltrow, all of coldplay, jimmy White, benicio del toro, johnny Vegas, Noel Gallagher many times, all lovely.

So so jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

karaokeman wrote: »
    Dara Quilty (Spin 1038 DJ) - awesome guy. He was great with the rest of the fans, making mad poses for photographs and writing personal dedications on all autographs

Good god...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Jamie Carragher.
    I asked him what he thought of that dickhead Gary Neville. "No comment mate" was his reply.

Was in a smoking room at Singapore airport with Angus from AC/DC. Didn't want to bother him, looked really haggard and old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Had a one night stand with Pamela Anderson in the 90s .Great shag !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

summerskin wrote: »
    Tom hanks and his wife, alan rickman, gwyneth Paltrow, all of coldplay, jimmy White, benicio del toro, johnny Vegas, Noel Gallagher many times, all lovely.

Lenny Henry, tosser like you would not believe.

Liam gallagher, Jamie Oliver, Gary Barlow and mark Owen all ok-ish.

Also shifted mark Owen's sister Tracy many years ago( we grew up in the same town, my ex used to sit next to mark at school)

Didn't know Tom Hanks was married to alan Rickman:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Met Shane Horgan walking in Dublin day after Leinster played Munster in Aviva sound bloke laughed when we gave out to him for our beloved Muster ha
    Was in a irish bar in Alicante in july 09 group sitting at table next too us realised we were Irish and informed us we were in company of some one very famous,we scanned each one of them and didnt recognise a soul,next thing a lad announces one of them was Bonos brother - such a wanker
    just when we thought we had meet someone famous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Shaved head on women just doesn't look right really but I suppose your own opinion.

What about Sigourney Weaver in Alien? or Natalie Portman or Demi Moore?
    they rocked it in fairness

i think they can get away with it in a role but i wonder were they afraid that when they shaved it off they would have lobsided shaped heads? cause that would be my biggest fear - straight to the wigshop please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Martin Keown in Oxford castle last year. As a lifelong Gooner it was a real pleasure. Chatted for a bit about the Gunners and then he mocked my nephew for being a Liverpool fan. Top bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Was in Beirut for a week last Easter, was walking down a street and we heard an American accent, me and the mother looked and we saw Maura Tierney, the one from ER. We walked right past her delighted to have seen her, then in a tiny restaurant down a side street that night she walked in, had a chat with her for a few minutes, she was dead sound and we got her autograph on a napkin :p Lovely woman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Josh Homme-Legend
    Jimmy Carr-Nice guy

That's it really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw a lot of celebs but never met them.

A strange one was Kevin Webster from Coronation Street who was shipped into my town to open a Statoil shop :confused: The guy is an absolute midget.

Saw George Wendt (fat bloke from Cheers) at Shannon airport when I was a kid, probably the 1st time I got to see an enormous American...........and I don't mean by height :pac:

Another time when I was a kid I was leaving Mass when I bumped into the back of this guy wearing a suit. He turns around and it was Bertie Ahern who then proceeded to shake my hand. Before I knew it cameras were swarming around us and I bolted the fùck out of there. Him and his cronies would come to my town frequently enough for whatever reason.

Saw Miley from Glenroe on the train. Unmistakable face. All that kept running through my head constantly were "Well......holy God!" and those old adverts he used to voice for kid's tractors :pac:

The Wolfe Tones drank in my local once. Were fairly cold and refused autographs for people. Suppose I can't blame them considering the amount of fools trying to hang around them while pumping €100 into the jukebox playing their songs over...........& over............& over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anto2 wrote: »
    Had a one night stand with Pamela Anderson in the 90s .Great shag !!!
    Pics or it didn't happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Met Will Smith and that lad from Arrested Development in London a few years ago,both very nice lads,they even signed my tube ticket.

Tony Cascarino was on the plane home and he was sound too.

Was backstage at some show last year and Lenny Henry was there,seemed a nice lad,I asked him was there any drink besides Bulmers and he showed me the secret fridge filled with Corona and told me to help meself,which I surely did!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

foxinsox wrote: »

Dougie Howser - US actor - played a kid being a doc I think - meh meh

You met Neil Patrick Harris?!?! He's the man! Barney Stinston all the way man! Have you never seen How I Met Your Mother? Or Harold & Kumar?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Again, didn't meet him myself, but my brother met Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins in the Roisín Dubh of all places. He was just having a drink on his own. A very nice, amiable type of fella, if a little quiet, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Bill Clinton- very nice, quite friendly.
    Tiger Woods-sound out left me a great tip
    Jack Nicholson-The man is tiny in real life
    Billl Gates-Very quiet, very polite
    Ronan Keating and the missus-she is some bird stunning,and hes just small
    Colin Montgomerie and his wife-both miserable sods
    few more cant think of them right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Met David Milliband and had a long chat - he's very very sharp, although he looks so small and young it's hard to believe he was the Foreign Secretary of the UK.

I once had to be a minder for Ed Asner. When I went to pick him up from his hotel, he walked out, said 'here's my bag', dropped it on the floor, and walked away. For some reason he warmed up to me by the end of the day and invited me to lunch, but I declined.

Met John Edwards, pre-baby momma drama. He was good looking for a politician, but kind of a tool.

Randomly bumped into the author Junot Diaz in Boston, and he is just as shy and slightly geeky as one might expect (although I've heard he is quite the potty mouth).

Hung out with Tom Hayden (activist and Jane Fonda's ex husband) a few times. He had the worst-behaved child I have ever had the misfortune to encounter in my life.

The biggest celebrity 'miss' I had was when Michael Gambon was in Dublin to perform "Krapp's Last Tape" at the Gate. A friend invited me to go, but I had already seen it...well later that night my friends ran into Gambon in the smoking section of the pub and chatted away for over an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Working in an icecream parlour in summer 2002 in NY:

Stephen Spielberg - Sound man, my friend said "I love your films", he replied "Thank you, that's why I make 'em!" in a loud voice. Seemed like a nice guy.
    Jenna Jameson - Served her food without realising who she was, then all the kitchen staff (Mexican) came out to the front counter to stare at her. It was only then I realised who she was! My impressions? Absolutely classy lady, would get no idea what she did for a living!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Also Chris Hughton - sound!

Robbie Keane - not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

coonecb1 wrote: »
    y.
    Jenna Jameson - Served her food without realising who she was, then all the kitchen staff (Mexican) came out to the front counter to stare at her. It was only then I realised who she was! My impressions? Absolutely classy lady, would get no idea what she did for a living!!
    ''Excuse, Mrs. Jameson? Hi I'm a huge fan, did you enjoy your food? Good... Because I knew you'd appreciate the big wad of jizz I Ieft in it!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

Leonardo Di Caprio-London Premiere body of lies gent...he picked up my pen for me as I dropped it while he was signing autograph's at the barrier.

Yoko Ono coming out of the dakota building New York by chance she said hello---

Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman- playing tennis in Riverview Clonskeagh Dublin
    when they were here filming far and away. I was seven "he went down on his honkers and said "hows it going buddy" to me totally star struck.

Jordan (Katie Price) in a pharmacy in Cairns Austrailia..Stuck up cow!!
    Peter Andre was sitting in the car outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Ok. Have you ever met any famous people?
    Damn, just beaten to it by 11 hours.

edit: also alot of people seem to be confusing 'met' with 'walked past' or 'was ignored by'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've worked at a festival, so I've met a lot of music types. Seasick Steve was probably one of my favourites, I was absurdly, idiot-grinningly delighted to discover that he really, really is the guy you expect him to be, it's not schtick or persona at all.

I could have met James Murphy, one of my absolute idols, but was fangirling out too hard to muster up enough verbs or consonant sounds to generate a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Met Carl Barat. Really cool. Really tall. Chatted away to us and loads of fans after a dirty pretty things gig.

Met David O'Doherty after one his shows, singed a copy of his cd for me. Can't remember exactly what was said but he was funny in person. Also taller than I expected.

ALMOST met Bernard Dunne. Was in the same nightclub as him, my mate said he met him and shook his hand. Later in the night, I was in the bathroom and he came in. Waited for a few seconds to talk to him until I realised I was staring at a him using the urinal and i didn't think he'd appreciate it. Didn't want to wait to find out, him being a boxer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

The Edge-really nice and unaffected

Bono-not popular to say this but he was really nice

Daivd Norris at several events-a nice guy

JP Donleavy (a writer more famous everywhere else than in ireland)-eccentric but really sound and interesting

Ran into Pink in a bar when she was playing a gig in Dublin, was talking to her for about 10 mins, very nice and down to earth, despite her fame, very articulate and intelligent and asked lots of questions about Ireland, seemed genuinely interested

I had pints with the late Joe Dolan once,really friendly and relaxed, chatted away

I fancied Tim Wheeler from Ash something shocking as a teen, met him and got his autograph, he was really nice and friendly to a swooning teen!!

My friend has pictures with Beyonce and said she was really friendly

Several TV3 personalities were really rude as were cetain sisters who present on RTE, ahem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Royce Gracie - dead sound, he couldn't stand the Irish weather.

The Prodigy - Really cool guys and down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Had a short term contract, three months, working for Baz Luhrmann in Australia in 1999. He was directing Moulin Rouge and i met the stars from that every day in work, Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. Even went to a night-out they had in a pub up the road, which was bizarre. Ewan even had a light-sabre from the Star Wars Ep 1 which he donated to Baz Luhrmann - so i got to touch Obi-Wan's light sabre ( yes i know that sounds dirty!)

Next contract i had was working in the main cinema in sydney. They had a private screening room for celebs to watch films. Anyway, one day in walked Nicole Kidman again ( i think she was stalking me!! :D:cool:) along with her hubbie of the day, Tom Cruise. Both were dead sound and even stayed around for a coffee after the film to chat to the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Saw Sinead O'Connor in Superquinn in Bray - had a brief hello and chat in the queue for sauages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Oscar the grouch

played cards in an after hours club with the guys from the chilli peppers

oh....and bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

Stone Cold Steve Austin while being delayed for 23 hours at LAX, he really is too cool for school....and his fans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Duddy wrote: »
    Was an extra in "Becoming Jane" when they were filming in Dublin - James McAvoy came across as a right twat, arguing with the director about how the scene should be shot.

Yes, how dare he take pride in his job? :mad:

(Opinion may be influenced by the fact that he's a roide! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Beatrice Arthur aka Dorothy from The Golden Girls. Drove her (I was mini-cabbing at the time) from a London theatre to her hotel with two or three others. She took the front seat and we chatted most of the way, which was natural enough - she was chatty and I'm not the type to get star-struck.

I asked her for an autograph for my parents who really loved her show at the time and she took their address and promised she'd send a signed photo. Nothing arrived for weeks so I assumed it had been forgotten but then a photo arrived signed with a dedication to them specifically. They were delighted.

Nice lady.

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Few that come to mind over the years....

Jackie Chan - seemed grand
    Colin Farrell - sound enough
    All of Boyzone 'cept Stephen Gately. - All sound except for the one who was in Corrie. The big bald lad was the soundest
    Jonathon Rhys Myers - cunt
    Colm Meaney - sound
    Mel Gibson - fairly sound for a jew-hater
    Alan Rickman - quiet and ridiculously tall
    Robert Sheehan - seemed grand
    Bernard Dunne - sound lad

S'all I can think of right now but I reckon I've met a fair few more tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Huey from Fun Lovin Criminals - total legend.
    That's badass, undeniably one of the coolest fuckers around. Awesome music too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Pretty random selection:

Art Garfunkel - Quiet, extraordinary hair, bright eyes.

Brian Wilson- Not Good Vibrations, borderline catatonic, though deaf in one ear (the side I was talking to him from)

Philip Schofield - Was @ my bro's wedding, silver fox and all round good guy

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

J.K Rowling in Edinburgh castle , made a point not to get an autograph to spite die hard potter fans ,

Took a piss next to Brian O'Driscoll , too locked/terrified to look , but he seemed sound

Michael Mcelhatton (bald guy from intermission) was with a friend who was working with him friend said hello he walked by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bodie Broadus

Fozzydog3 wrote: »

Took a piss next to Brian O'Driscoll , too locked/terrified to look , but he seemed sound
    ranier wolfcastle: haha! go ahead look. the whole world already saw it in nudist camp. I wore nothing!

how big we talking on drico?

Advertisement