Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever met any famous people and what were they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

John C McGinley - Really nice guy. Was delighted with me when I mentioned Platoon.

Colm Meaney - Love him, nice guy, told him Miles O'Brien was one of my all time favourite Star Trek characters.

Graham Norton - Met him only briefly at a signing, he was buzzing and in great form, was very pleasant.

Ronan O'Gara - Absolute tool.

Larry Mullen - Legend.

Brendan O'Carroll - Quite a few times, he used to lunch in an Italian restaurant next door to where I worked. Seemed fine, but used to overhear him talking about where he was to "holiday" a lot.

Not famous, but Colin Farrell's sister used to come into the post office where I used to work years ago, gorgeous lady.

My da met Rory Gallagher and his bass player in a pub before a gig once, had a pint with them. Love that story. :)

The mother went on a date with Christy Dignam when she was seventeen. They went to the cinema.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wife and I have met quiet a few, some a number of times deliberately at arranged meet-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Ken Doherty in Spain years ago, he was obviously drunk cause he was laughin constantly and pressin all the buttons in the elevator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Biggins wrote: »
    Wife and I have met quiet a few, some a number of times deliberately at arranged meet-ups.

Celebrity wife swap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Often met Shane McGowen in pubs in North Tipperary.

Roisin Murphy signed my face in Clare about 3 years ago

And I met Ed Miliband a few times through college, going back to before he was even an MP.

First impression: Jesus, that nose
    Second impression: this man smells like paco robanne and chips
    Third impression: Jesus that voice, is he joking?

Lasting impression: genuinely nice man and terrifically intelligent.

but he definitely smells like chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I met Rihanna in a Hotel in London. She was overly nice and seemed quite fake at first but them acted normal and was nice.

I met Jennifer Aston in Paris, she was walking down the main street (dont know the proper name) with her guards. She was really nice but only seen her for a few moments.

I sat next to Emma Robberts & Alex Pettyfer in Cineworld in Dublin. She was nice, also kinda of fake, robbed some of my popcorn. He was okay too, didnt really talk to him.

Mary Mcaleese visited my school. She was just overly formal.

That singer from Aslan, Christy, a few times, he seemed like a Junkie. (Famous?)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

Biggins wrote: »

You're fair cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Four of the lads from Slipknot in the Stephens Green shopping centre, including Paul Gray who was very, very sound and chatty with everybody. RIP

Billy Connolly in New York.

Moby, very nice guy.

Mathew Bellamy from Muse years ago, before they became huge. Another sound lad.

Was sat a couple of tables away from Michael Caine in a restaurant in London recently enough.

Kevin Spacey when he was filming Ordinary Decent Criminal, friendly enough.

Shook Nelson Mandelas hand years ago, was too young to really grasp who he was at the time.

Eric Cantona in the Burlington hotel.

George Best.

Dermot Morgan.

Gave Kris Kristofferson a smoke in Dublin airport. Odd guy.

Danny Carey from Tool, sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been very lucky with meeting bands and met a ton of my favourites over the years (Kittie, Ozzy Osbourne, Fear Factory, The Misfits, Nuclear Assault, Di'anno from Made, Justin Hawkins from The Darkness, Jim and Big Mick from Slipknot, Gama Bomb and a few others too), most of which where the nicest people you'd ever wish to meet.

The one that really stands out for me though, is Scott Ian from Anthrax. Anthrax are my favourite band, so I was over the moon meeting him. I was swiftly knocked back down to earth though, when I realized he was a pr1ck. Seemed to want to have nothing to do with his fans. I gave him the benefit f the doubt though, and thought "I must have just caught him on a bad day". A few years later, I met the full band at a signing in Dublin. Turns out, he was still a pr1ck :(

Lots of death metal fans in the online community. I'm sure death metal isn't the technically correct term - but you know, bands with names like Anthrax, or who wear black and shout a lot. I don't know anyone who likes these bands in real life.

Just a random observation... back to celebs... I once saw Gerry Ryan buying icecream in Clontarf. I could haved saved him!!!!1!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

later10 wrote: »
    Lots of death metal fans in the online community. I'm sure death metal isn't the technically correct term - but you know, bands with names like Anthrax, or who wear black and shout a lot. I don't know anyone who likes these bands in real life.

We only come out at night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Systic

Ronan O'Gara and he was a complete tool. Very aggressive, loud mouthed and sleazy.

• I've met quite a few celebrities, not many major ones though. Met Tom Jones once (legend), Jennifer Lopez (absolute sweetheart), Graham Norton (lovely). Also met lots of Irish ones like Gerry Ryan (horrible) and Pat Kenny (arrogant). There are loads more but I can't remember right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Celebrity wife swap?
    :D

I don't think she'd go for it! :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Ronan O'Gara - Absolute tool.

Seem to be a common opinion. On the same subject: http://www.georgiecasey.com/2006/11/26/ronan-ogara-wasted/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Seem to be a common opinion. On the same subject: http://www.georgiecasey.com/2006/11/26/ronan-ogara-wasted/

Poor Ronan seems to be one of those guys that nobody has a good word for.
    Bit like Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, even his own father said he was a complete pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

Jackie Chan would have been the most down to earth celeb ever..very humble and always cracking jokes(met him in asia back in the early 90's filming police story)

Chow Yuan Fatt(friendly and massive for an asian lad 6'4 maybe?) and Jodie Foster(snob) while they were filming Anna and the King back in 2000?

Formula 1 guys back in 2000-2002:
    1.Ross Brawn (ferrari technical director)
    2.Jean Todt (ferrari exec director)
    3.Peter Sauber (sauber team owner)
    4.Pedro Diniz (sauber driver)
    5.Ralph Schumacher (williams driver)
    6.Frank Williams (williams bmw team boss)
    7.H.H.Frentzen (sauber driver?cant remember)

Quentin Tarrantino in clifden market square back in 2001. He was really impressed with conemmara.
    Asked Alex Ferguson for his autograph back in 1995/96.Tried to get Cantona's but he just stormed off??

Met Daithi O'shea before he hit it big..does that count?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jackie Chan would have been the most down to earth celeb ever..very humble and always cracking jokes(met him in asia back in the early 90's filming police story)

Chow Yuan Fatt(friendly and massive for an asian lad 6'4 maybe?) and Jodie Foster(snob) while they were filming Anna and the King back in 2000?

Formula 1 guys back in 2000-2002:
    1.Ross Brawn (ferrari technical director)
    2.Jean Todt (ferrari exec director)
    3.Peter Sauber (sauber team owner)
    4.Pedro Diniz (sauber driver)
    5.Ralph Schumacher (williams driver)
    6.Frank Williams (williams bmw team boss)
    7.H.H.Frentzen (sauber driver?cant remember)

Quentin Tarrantino in clifden market square back in 2001. He was really impressed with conemmara.
    Asked Alex Ferguson for his autograph back in 1995/96.Tried to get Cantona's but he just stormed off??

Met Daithi O'shea before he hit it big..does that count?
    Just be glad he didn't kick you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Have you ever met any famous people?
    Once.

and what were they like?
    Hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Met Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy from Grays Anatomy and Transformers 3) at a race track in the States back in April. He wants to be the new Paul Newman apparantly. Act during the week. Race cars at the weekend. Sound as a pound guy. Unlike Newman, he was very open & approachable & chatty and willing to sign autographs and pose for pix with the fans for as long as they want. Surprisingly so. A lot of other drivers who couldn't give a rip about the fans, could learn a lot from him about how to market themselves, their team and their sport to the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Lived next door too Brendan Glesson when lived at home, even when working with Mel Gibson and being coolllected daily in chaufer driven car he would still do his garden or ours if he taught it was long grass...I remember helping him too dig foundations for garden wall and he did dig wit shovel...Done too earth man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

Linford Christie - Autograph, he said my name wrong and I was too starstruck to correct him
    Sharon Ni Bheolain and Sean Ban Breathnach in Donnybrook - Both alright
    Jamesie O'Connor (Clare hurler) - sound
    Samantha Mumba: "You may remember me from such quality films as The time Machine and Boy Eats Girl" - served her in a shop and after leaving we saw her take off in her car like no tomorrow :D

gabria wrote: »
    Samantha Mumba: "You may remember me from such quality films as The time Machine and Boy Eats Girl" - served her in a shop and after leaving we saw her take off in her car like no tomorrow :D
    Whatever happened to Samantha Mumba? She was supposed to have been the next Rihanna before Rihanna was even Rihanna.

She isn't even Jedward these days.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Met Patrick Dempsey (McDreamy from Grays Anatomy and Transformers 3) at a race track in the States back in April. He wants to be the new Paul Newman apparantly. Act during the week. Race cars at the weekend. Sound as a pound guy. Unlike Newman, he was very open & approachable & chatty and willing to sign autographs and pose for pix with the fans for as long as they want. Surprisingly so. A lot of other drivers who couldn't give a rip about the fans, could learn a lot from him about how to market themselves, their team and their sport to the masses.

Newman was famous for the manner in which he treated his fans. He was respectful and appreciative of their interest in him and always had time to chat. Hell he was a man who devoted a large portion of his life and wealth to charitable causes and would routinely take days to do nothing but spend time with the kids his charity helped.

I think that you may be confusing Newman with Steve McQueen who was quite temperamental with his fans but at the same time if a kid approached him he had all the time in the world for them. McQueen is often thought of as a tight fist who would make demands in his contract such as razor blades and jeans be supplied on set to him. He wasn't keeping them for himself in order to save a few quid but rather was sending them on to the boys home he himself grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Patrick Bergin, done many well known films like Patriot Games and also Sleeping with the Enemy with Julia Roberts - complete and utter wanker, he's often around North Tipp. There's a man who loves himself

Martin Sheen, he visited his mothers homeplace in North Tipp, a real gentleman. I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him.

Has an Irish passport too, Martin Sheen for the Park
    Sure he has experience at the job :)

mikemac wrote: »
    Patrick Bergin, done many well known films like Patriot Games and also Sleeping with the Enemy with Julia Roberts - complete and utter wanker, he's often around North Tipp. There's a man who loves himself

Martin Sheen, he visited his mothers homeplace in North Tipp, a real gentleman. I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him.

Has an Irish passport too, Martin Sheen for the Park
    Sure he has experience at the job :)
    Nenagh/ Cloughjordan/ Borrisokane man I presume?

Don't want to say the exact village but by Lough Derg outside Nenagh

mikemac wrote: »
    Don't want to say the exact village but by Lough Derg outside Nenagh
    Oh yeah Lower Ormond anyway, say no more!

I know it well enough. I remember the first time I was around there and some kid told me Martin Sheen was at his school that day. Apparently he's a regular visitor.

I still think Shane McGowen is the bigger local celebrity though (maybe not around much anymore?) Amazing the way you used to be able to bump into him in a random local bar.

Ah Shane McGowen, he's often around Ardcroney and used to be coaxed up onto the stage in bars around Nenagh for a song or two, pint in hand.
    But maybe two years so I've last heard of that

I've never met him but he's around the place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

I met the vice president of the central bank of Nigeria.

He gave me a handy number helping transfer money into Western Europe, told me he had to give the job to someone he knew in person because each time he tried to place an advertisement it would get taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

heres something extremely random for ya, had a snog with the woman who plays Carla Connor in coronation Street. She was in a programme called dream team at the time. She was 10 years older than me too, I was only 18! Had no idea who she was until after, stayed in touch for a year after, lovely lady

met Timmy Mallett in Mayo aswell years ago, asked him where his mallett was and he looked at me as if I had 20 heads :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I met David Nykel, but I didn't watch Stargate so didn't talk to him much, just about a piss-up at a friend of mine's that he was at and where he (Nykel) crashed on the couch. Sound bloke from all my friends' accounts. This was at a gaming convention in Cork a couple of years ago. He spent most of the weekend partying with Stargate fans. (And sneaking out for a crafty spliff.)

I met Joe Duffy when I was about ten. Myself and my family were on the boat to France, and we were looking at the map to France with the lights to show where the boat currently is. He asked my father did he hear the weather forecast. My aul fella told him there was a low pressure coming in that was likely to stick around. He hadn't a clue what that meant, so my dad explained, then my Dad said how interesting the city Joe was going to was (La Rochelle, submarine base during WW2 for the Nazis and Cardinal Richalou was based there for a while.) Joe hadn't a clue about that either. All the time Joe was "Yeah, yeah'ing" and "Is that right'ing." When we walked away I, cheeky ****er I was, told him his friend was fierce thick. At which point I was informed of the pestilence that is Joe Duffy.

My favourite story is from my aunt. She's a big opera fan and her favourite singer is Placido Domingo. She saved up enough to go see him sing in London, and it was feared it would be his last tour/opera because of his battle with cancer. She went with her sister, and was going to stay at the stage door to meet him after but it was raining and she didn't want to keep her sister out in it. Instead she went in to the restaurant close by. A few hours later Placido walks past the restaurant, stops outside looks in and catches her eye in a having a gawk at what people are eating type of way. So she waved at him, he smiled at her and waved back. That was about ten or fifteen years ago and she still smiles whenever anyone mentions it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

most famous person i met and talked to, was Bill Clinton during his trip here as president about 15 years ago.
    gabria wrote: »
    Sharon Ni Bheolain

she was my neighbour for a while until i moved jobs and left that area.....

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

spence101 wrote: »
    No joke, saw Mickey Joe Hart hanging around the lane beside coppers last night, just waiting for yang wans to take into his flat he rented around the corner, he's been married for ten or so years.......

suppose its better than having a **** when the missus leaves ya for the night.

What a wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Met Johnny Depp a few years back, he was genuinely a very nice, down-to-earth guy.
    Bob Dylan a few times but he was in his asshole phase and so... he wasn't pleasant at all.
    Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci, actually hung out with them a few times, they are absolutely lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Have been in my car

Gerry Ryan-pompous dickhead

Ryan Tubridy-sound, down to earth.

Anne Doyle-earthy and a great laugh.

Elaine Crowley-hubba hubba hubba (and dead sound as well) pity she's from Cork.

Matt Cooper-Matt Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Met Robert Fisk. Arrogant, childish- a complete moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

Jayob10 wrote: »
    heres something extremely random for ya, had a snog with the woman who plays Carla Connor in coronation Street. She was in a programme called dream team at the time. She was 10 years older than me too, I was only 18! Had no idea who she was until after, stayed in touch for a year after, lovely lady

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Kim and Kelley Deal after a Breeders gig in the Ambassador about 9 years ago.

Met some of the lads from Jackass about 9 years ago at a party in Spirit on Abbey St.

Sharon ni Bheolain was a teacher in my secondary school but she only taught my class once. Not a nice lady IMO.

Haven't met anyone remotely well known in a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sharon ni Bheolain was a teacher ............

Phwwwwwaaahhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

ranier wolfcastle: haha! go ahead look. the whole world already saw it in nudist camp. I wore nothing!

how big we talking on drico?

I dont know what this means ?......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

George Best.

They always say "Never meet your heroes...", well it was wrong in my case, he was fantastic. Even made him a cuppa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

later10 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Samantha Mumba? She was supposed to have been the next Rihanna before Rihanna was even Rihanna.

She isn't even Jedward these days.

Totally shes washed up now. When I served her in the shop though it was 2005, just after her driving conviction. I was quite shallow for hoping she'd come back for repeat custom and might be a contact to meet some more VIPs :)

I just remembered I also served Ger Loughnane, Hurling manager and GAA commentator as well, nice chap. And also Rita Lawlor, president of the Special Olympics committee, she was a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Alex Ferguson - really sound, will talk for hours with you
    Jack White - Very odd, quiet guy. Stole my lighter
    Robert Fisk - Blew me off, a big fan but not impressed
    Neil Jordan - Sound Fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

My Chemical Romance.
    Nice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

John Terry - was in secondary school with him, although he only came in when he felt like it. As you would expect he was pretty much a wa**ker. One of the few classes he would turn up to was PE, happy to say the team I was on beat his team. Most of the teachers thought he was a wa**ker although a couple of soccer heads were showing the early signs of hero worship.
    I see his dad now and again around town, about 3 years ago he gave my brother an iPod, nice gesture. Although it was one of those counterfeit Chinese ones that dont really work - classy character.

Paddy Hill (Birmingham Six) - spent a few hours chatting to him recently. He's the kind of guy that will talk with anyone, and has lots of interesting stories.
    He's living in Scotland with his family now and I'm glad to see he seems pretty content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

that's an amazing website, whoever owns it is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jerry Springer was doing a show at Southbank in London a few years ago, and I happened to meet him.
    Also saw Morgan Freeman on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Met Rolf Harris twice. He owns and manages a Spec Savers in the U.K, where I went in to get new glasses, and then a few years later I was going through London on my way to the airport when I saw him again doing his art in a shopping centre, where he spotted me, waved and came over to talk. About two years after I got glasses, and the guy remembers my name and everything, blew my mind. Ridiculously nice guy. Gave Daragh Dukes a CD of my music at a Headgear gig, he took a look at the name I'd scribbled on it and said "Oh, you're the weird music guy with the epileptic MySpace. It's... Interesting stuff." which I figure is a nice way of saying it's sh!t. He is my hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Rolf Harris manages a spec savers? :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:Are you really really sure?

• Advertisement
Advertisement