Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback

• 03-08-2011 3:12pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

The current moderating team have been in place for about a year, and we have not had a feedback thread during that time.

What do you like and what don't you like about the forum and the way it operates? Are there any things you would like changing? Have you any comments on moderation style. Are there areas you think we can improve on? Also tell us what we're doing right so we can continue doing these things.

So this is your chance - fire away ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

/gets popcorn

My 2c: I think ye do a great job. It's a good forum with some super characters. Lots of very helpful and informative posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dont know what ye should improve on but i think this board is great, ive found it incredibly helpful whenever i wanted to know something or if something went arse ways on me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

To misquote someone else, I know less now about cycling than I thought I did five years ago.
    It's a very good forum with loads of useful info from informed posters and just the right amount of moderation to keep things running smoothly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why is the cycling wiki down? WELL? WHY?

I know it's not a mod problem, it's just annoying as it's supposed to be the first port of call for common questions.

Do we need a plan B?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    Do we need a plan B?

You are plan B

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why is the cycling wiki down? WELL? WHY?

I know it's not a mod problem, it's just annoying as it's supposed to be the first port of call for common questions.

Do we need a plan B?

Unfortunately the wiki is still on the blink. As you say, there's nothing the mods can do about it. We haven't gotten an ETA on its rebirth from the tech people yet. They're involved in higher priority projects.

Groupthink bothers me. It's born of laziness and pragmatism. Someone posts "Which new bike for €1000". They want a bike. They know nothing about bikes. We recommend a Canyon, because they're generally good value and the alternative is to trawl the internet looking for deals. Who can be bothered? Not me. Canyon are sold out. Recommend a Planet-X. So everyone owns a Planet-X or a Canyon. Are these better than the alternative? No idea. What's a Corratec like? No idea, don't own one. Bikeradar reviews are cack. roadbikereview reviews are full of "I do 30 mile cycles and find this bike brilliant". No idea what the solution is. Give people a groupset FAQ and let them work it out for themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

smacl wrote: »
    Do we need a plan B?
    You are plan B

Really?

Those hills must be a b1tch.

For the most part I think that Captain H, Beasty, etc are doing a very good job. Haven't seen Gavin in a while though. The moding of the 'cycling adverts' section seems to be much more vigilant than it used to be. Could do with a bit more heavy handedness though for those who take the p1ss regarding advert thread spoiling and/or disregarding other rules when they should and probably do know otherwise.

Lemag wrote: »
    Could do with a bit more heavy handedness though for those who take the p1ss regarding advert thread spoiling and/or disregarding other rules when they should and probably do know otherwise.

AFAIK there are no rules about thread-spoiling in the Adverts subforum. That's half the point/fun of it - people who post up ridiculous asking prices get called out. Therefore buyers can be more trusting of not getting ripped off.

One thing that really bothers me as a potential seller is when someone posts a low bid, which you accept for a quick sale, then they withdraw for whatever spurious reason, but the low bid is still up there, so you then have zero chance of getting asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We recommend a Canyon, because they're generally good value and the alternative is to trawl the internet looking for deals. Who can be bothered? Not me.

Well I trawled and learned about groupsets and what not before settling on the canyon and I would still recommend it. Part ultegra and part 105 groupset. 8KG bike. Good wheels. Good tyres. etc. etc. I don't think it gets any better for a grand and I think that's why they're consistently recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One thing that really bothers me as a potential seller is when someone posts a low bid, which you accept for a quick sale, then they withdraw for whatever spurious reason, but the low bid is still up there, so you then have zero chance of getting asking price.
    That was based on the adverts.ie rules. I am not sure how far we would be able to stray from their general rules, but if anyone has alternative suggestions we would be happy to hear them

EDIT - just to clarify, under our (and adverts.ie) rules, once that lower price is accepted, it becomes the "new" price for the item even if the original person making the offer pulls out

Khannie wrote: »
    Well I trawled and learned about groupsets and what not before settling on the canyon and I would still recommend it. Part ultegra and part 105 groupset. 8KG bike. Good wheels. Good tyres. etc. etc. I don't think it gets any better for a grand and I think that's why they're consistently recommended.

Yeah, but there has to be more to buying a bike than a bunch of parts, right? Or else everyone would own a Aksiums-and-4000s-shod Canyon, all other medium-price road bike, wheel and tyre manufacturers would go out of business and bike shops would be limited to selling BSOs, Cervelos and accessories.

Beasty wrote: »
    That was based on the adverts.ie rules. I am not sure how far we would be able to stray from their general rules, but if anyone has alternative suggestions we would be happy to hear them

More work for the mods, but OPs could request that posts relating to accepted-then-withdrawn bids be deleted. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

For the most part, things work well, not much I'd change.

However, some of the moderating in the past year has been somewhat heavy handed in my opinion.

By heavy-handed I mean, for example:

Threads being kept strictly on topic
    Part of what has made this forum a fun place to hang out in the past is that threads can deviate in all sorts of directions, usually, but not always, coming back on topic. Stern (see below) warnings about going OT have made it feel like school occasionally.

Moderator mode posts in bold
    Mods don't need to underline their authority by using bold for all their mod posts. It comes across as stern and lecturing.

Threads being locked prematurely
    There have been instances where threads have been locked too quickly in my opinion. Previously, gentle reminders at appropriate times have helped keep things on track. If individuals have gotten totally out of hand, this has been dealt with. Thread closure should be a last resort.

Posts being deleted for being OT
    Post deletion should be reserved only for posts that are offensive and/or libellous, or in blatant breach of the charter. An example of this is the user's fleet thread, where the OP stated their preference for no comments, and instead of this being up for discussion, anything that contravened this preference was deleted.

Mods should be there when you really need them, and not noticeable the rest of the time. The balance is slightly off at present, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AFAIK there are no rules about thread-spoiling in the Adverts subforum. That's half the point/fun of it - people who post up ridiculous asking prices get called out. Therefore buyers can be more trusting of not getting ripped off.

This is correct

Actually, the rules say: "The Asking price is the last price that the Seller has requested for the item."

You could say that it's not the last price the seller has accepted for the item. So unless someone's put up "Price drop to €100", they could conceivably look for the original price.

Could operate similar to the selling forum over on weight weenies. The seller posts a thread with all the relevant details. The thread is "locked" in that no one can post on the thread but instead the dealings are all kept off thread. When the seller has sold the item they can then PM a mod to ask them to actually lock the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The thing that annoys me is that all the medical advice threads are closed. I mean, why can't we just have a disclaimer: "If you follow the advice you might end with 14 eyes and half a hand"? I 've had been given great advice in this forum before, and it's a pity someone else can't have it. Yeah it might not be accurate and you are going to go to the doctor anyway, but that's what the disclaimer would be there for.

Other than that, all is good, and I vote for Lumen to be reinstated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lukester wrote: »
    For the most part, things work well, not much I'd change.

However, some of the moderating in the past year has been somewhat heavy handed in my opinion.

By heavy-handed I mean, for example:

Threads being kept strictly on topic
    Part of what has made this forum a fun place to hang out in the past is that threads can deviate in all sorts of directions, usually, but not always, coming back on topic. Stern (see below) warnings about going OT have made it feel like school occasionally.

Mods don't need to underline their authority by using bold for all their mod posts. It comes across as stern and lecturing.

Threads being locked prematurely
    There have been instances where threads have been locked too quickly in my opinion. Previously, gentle reminders at appropriate times have helped keep things on track. If individuals have gotten totally out of hand, this has been dealt with. Thread closure should be a last resort.

Posts being deleted for being OT
    Post deletion should be reserved only for posts that are offensive and/or libellous, or in blatant breach of the charter. An example of this is the user's fleet thread, where the OP stated their preference for no comments, and instead of this being up for discussion, anything that contravened this preference was deleted.

Mods should be there when you really need them, and not noticeable the rest of the time. The balance is slightly off at present, in my opinion.

Beat me to it. I couldnt agree with you more.

I appreciate that the mods have a thankless job that many of us wouldnt do. I just like it when there is less moderation, I think ye could make it a little easy on yourselves. As my old man is found of saying, "everything in moderation, especially moderation"!!!
    For example, some lad was banned during the TDF as he has an axe to grind on Alberto. So what - the reason that people vent their spleen on internet chat rooms is because they have an axe to grind. If it was me I would let it go.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is that all the medical advice threads are closed. I mean, why can't we just have a disclaimer: "If you follow the advice you might end with 14 eyes and half a hand"? I 've had been given great advice in this forum before, and it's a pity someone else can't have it. Yeah it might not be accurate and you are going to go to the doctor anyway, but that's what the disclaimer would be there for.

Actually that's one that's above our pay grade, since it's a site wide rule. In short, even if the Cycling Forum wanted to permit medical advice, we wouldn't be allowed to.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lemag wrote: »
    Could operate similar to the selling forum over on weight weenies. The seller posts a thread with all the relevant details. The thread is "locked" in that no one can post on the thread but instead the dealings are all kept off thread. When the seller has sold the item they can then PM a mod to ask them to actually lock the thread.
    We don't have the facility to lock threads automatically after the OP - it would require manual mod intervention, by which time any number of replies could have been made

One of our rules is that all discussions/negotiations must be kept in-thread, and taking them off-thread would completely change the dynamics of the sub-forum (I'm not suggesting for the better or worse btw) - it would certainly stop the "thread-spoiling" pointed out by Lumen, but the feeling I'm getting is that's one of the attractions of the sub-forum over adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

I think the forum is great. Haven't come across any problems with it, always get good advise.

ROK ON wrote: »
    For example, some lad was banned during the TDF as he has an axe to grind on Alberto. So what - the reason that people vent their spleen on internet chat rooms is because they have an axe to grind. If it was me I would let it go.

I'm a fan of light moderation myself. However, it was me who banned the guy I think you're referring to. And he was actually banned for alleging Alberto had been doping on this year's Tour.

Mind you, we did get a flurry of reported posts about users constantly taking threads off topic by ranting about their pet-hate riders on Tour threads. While that wasn't what this ban was over, as mods we have to take on board people's feedback.

My own approach would be to let threads take their own course and not go mad on the on-topic rule unless it appears to be upsetting other users.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Unsubstantiated allegations of such "wrongdoing" leaves boards.ie at risk of legal action if we do not act to remove such allegations. However remote that risk may be, the owners of the site do not wish it to be taken, and hence we have no flexibility on the "unsubstantiated doping allegations" rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I echo much of what Lukester has said.

My preference would be for less visible moderation and less preemptive moderation.

Let a thread develop and take a natural course and let the posters decide where it goes. Attempts and reminders to keep something "on topic" and prevent discussion of other items in the same thread are stifling and unneeded. A good thread is like a conversation, it ebbs and flows with many dynamics and is not controlled. The threads are not debates so people should be allowed to digress from the original topic.

Locking threads is something which I find incredibly annoying. There are plenty of examples of where something has been locked early all because of how it *might* develop. That's not right, in my opinion. Of course, there are reasons where it is correct to lock a thread, but they should be exceptional and infrequent cases.

I'm not a fan of the tedious ROTR discussions but if other folk wish to discuss them, so be it. I gladly stay out of them.

There have been some arbitrary rule changes which I didn't like, such as the non discussion on the bike fleet thread and on the advert sub forum.

Of course, a mod's job is a hard job and, like everyone else, I appreciate the time and effort you guys put in. I provide this post as constructive criticism.

We don't have the facility to lock threads automatically after the OP - it would require manual mod intervention, by which time any number of replies could have been made
    I think that once users see that there are no replies to any of the threads they will get the idea. The odd newcomer here and there may not but it probably wouldn't be too hard to delete such posts and inform them via PM. They wouldn't be gaining any unfair advantage over those who've already commenced negotiations off thread. This system would create a level playing field for all. As it is now, those who choose to abide by the rules of the subforum are at a disadvantage to those who do not (unless they are caught doing so and banned).

How about a weekly mod ranking poll with a culling for the least popular mod eek.gif That'd keep 'em in check wink.gif

TBH, I have witnessed only a few acts of what I would consider to be heavy handedness from the mods. If I were in their position I'd probably be handing out warnings, infractions and outright bans left right and centre for stupidity, laziness, rudeness and ignorance. However, I realise that this would probably leave me with a forum all to myself.

I used to do this. I'd seen it on other forums and thought it worked there. But then several people got on to me and said they hated it, it was like I was SHOUTING AT EVERYONE. So I stopped. My own feeling is that every forum is different and that what works on PI for example may not work here. I know some of the other moderators use bold. It's kind of something we've agreed to disagree on.

Raam wrote: »
    My preference would be for less visible moderation and less preemptive moderation.

Let a thread develop and take a natural course and let the posters decide where it goes. Attempts and reminders to keep something "on topic" and prevent discussion of other items in the same thread are stifling and unneeded. A good thread is like a conversation, it ebbs and flows with many dynamics and is not controlled. The threads are not debates so people should be allowed to digress from the original topic.

I'd tend to agree with these points. One of the reasons why I liked this forum and stuck around was the freewheeling nature of the place and I'd hate to see that go.

The forum grew from almost nothing with very little moderation actually. Then we had over a year of just Lumen modding with fairly little intervention on his part. When he left, I recall the feedback on moderation was largely positive before we took over.

I am concerned that as mods, we don't have any mandate from the users to be stricter than before. There are certainly some things that we don't have any control over, like medical advice and libel. But for everything else, my personal approach is to let things roll on if possible.

I believe that mods are there to serve the users and not the other way around. They're the people who make this place what it is. When I was asked to mod first, my approach tended to be nipping problems in the bud and pull people up straight away on stuff. In retrospect I'm not sure that was the right approach. These days I'm more inclined to intervene only when a.) other users complain or b.) there's a fairly blatant or repeated breach of the rules.

Having said all that, people sometimes get the wrong impression about modding. For example, I've had people complain about me infracting or banning another poster. What they don't see is that half the other posters on the thread have complained or reported their posts. In other words, there's occasions where someones going to complain no matter what decision you make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

I echo much of what Lukester has said.

Of course, a mod's job is a hard job and, like everyone else, I appreciate the time and effort you guys put in. I provide this post as constructive criticism.

+1 to the above.

It's a great forum, with a wealth of knowledge and experience from the regular posters be it technical problems/issues, routes, events etc....... but also for a bit of lighthearted fun. One of the more amusing threads of late was, in my opinion, "The cycling look". Ironically, I understand that the cycling mods were all away that day ;) and other than one gentle moderating post from Khannie (I think) the thread ebbed and flowed, on and off topic, to it's own rhythm. Other than a bit of shadow boxing and friendly banter no harm done.

As previous stated, there are of course valid reasons where it is correct that threads be locked and thats fine.

Overall hats off to the mods, I can appreciate that its a thankless job. In the words of Dara O'Briain, "like a wife who gave up her career and the kids turned out to be sh1t":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Great forum and an invaluable wealth of knowledge. Moderation for the most part is great especially in adverts, maybe a little over zealous at times in the main forum. Thanks for putting in the time and effort on top of your training regimes, work and family lives.

I think generally the forum's getting a little stale with way too many basic questions that bore and drive away the knowledgable contributers.

I'd rather you swapped the stolen bike and new bike threads around. Ban all careless "what bike/jacket/shorts" threads but allow anything more carefully thought out.

I couldn't care less about someone agonising over two equally crap bikes all the while rejecting the good advice to spend their money on something that won't fall apart but I feel for anyone who's had their pride and joy nicked, they at least deserve a little airtime in the hope of getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Personally I'd split it. Some people want to talk about their races, others wouldn't be seen dead in lycra. I think considering how much the forum has expanded 'cycling' is too broad to cover all the bases in the most effective way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

el tonto wrote: »

I used to do this. I'd seen it on other forums and thought it worked there. But then several people got on to me and said they hated it, it was like I was SHOUTING AT EVERYONE. So I stopped. My own feeling is that every forum is different and that what works on PI for example may not work here. I know some of the other moderators use bold. It's kind of something we've agreed to disagree on.
    Personally I like the bold and normal type facing to differentiate between the moderator posting as moderator and moderator posting as normal user. It gives all users a good indication when a line has been or is near being crossed.
    Generally people take note and if not further action is taken as deemed appropriate. A good example for this is inappropriate posting about the tdf prior to highlights which can be annoying to others.
    Other than that I haven't noticed any (or certainly many) instances of Modding that I would deem heavy handed, but equally may not have noticed any difference had Modding not taken place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well I think the forum is just fine and dandy however....

I miss the frequent Friday threads, there was a slight revival of late but not as much as there used to be. The demise of the banter happened about the same time as the increase of the amount of mods.... coincidence or were the main instigators made mods, poachers turned game keepers? I think we're all gettin on a bit too well.

While I am a firm believer of if it aint broke dont fix it....

The forum is unbelievably focused on road biking possibly at the cost of expanding the conversations on mtb, touring, audax, fixie, tri, commuting etc.

I thought the Giro/TdF threads were/are very good this year and would encourage those who ACTUALLY know what their talking about to post up and start similar threads on other pro tours ie Poland as I think that aspect to the forum is very important. Educate and grow!

I think Blorg should have a live journal

I think we could look at the ART forum for an events sub forum thus allowing easier conversations/ publicising of events. It works very well over there and I think having a calender sticky as used to be in the wiki would be good too.

I understand the frustration with 'which bike/jacket/light threads' but I enjoy reading them as it lets me know whats out there and is often the first point of contact for future boardsies who become regular posters.

Re Advert sub forum, I think its great the way it is. If someone comes on pulling a fast one they can be challenged, long may that last. May I suggest that should a sale fall through and no other offers were made that the seller can have the thread locked/deleted and started fresh with the original price, allowing fresh negotiations to start, possible solution?

So more Friday threads & varied chat, Blorg should tell us more, a new sub forum, let the newbie's alone and long live the for sale sub forum!! Other than that I think its all good really.
    I'm off to fit my new brake blocks now and see who's wearing this...

2011_tour_of_poland_pologne_leader_jersey.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I like the forum as it is. I've managed to stay on the good side of the mods - mainly because I lurk more than post.
    I can't really see why some people moan about all the 'what bike/kit threads', as they don't have to read them, but the whole point of a forum is to get information that other people may have, that the original poster hasn't. This can be in the form of hard facts or just a personal choice but can be helpful. I know it has been to me so far.

Keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

There have been some arbitrary rule changes which I didn't like, such as the non discussion on the bike fleet thread.

+1. It's a discussion forum yet there's no discussion allowed in the thread :confused:. Makes no sense imo.

I can understand the irritation long time posters feel at seeing lots of 'which bike' threads. Having said that, I posted one of those threads last year & I mightn't have stuck around here too long if I hadn't received the great advice that I did. Everyone has to start somewhere. One year later & I'm not only still on the bike but also keenly following pro-cycling.

I think the Mods are doing a good job. I used to post on a martial arts site that became a free for all to post whatever they wanted. It became a joke so I stopped posting. This place is a pleasure to post in in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I like the forum, I lurk more thank post.
    There is loads of good info on here, like others I do think there are a lot of "what should I get on the B2W" threads (I've started some myself).
    I read them all because I find good info in most of them, I'm still learning about a lot of bike components and I can get info on these threads.

I know there is some info on the wiki about which bike to buy but I don't think it gets a lot of traffic, sometimes I wonder if there should be a sticky that covers a lot of the basic buying a bike stuff stuff, bike in price ranges, online vs offline etc.
    And maybe a general discussion thread for all questions about buying a bike, where people wouldn't have to worry about going OT, ask a couple of quick questions and not have to start a new thread, not sure if this would work though.

On, the jersey orders, there has been 3 in the last few months, with varying options available. Carvalho would have preferred if some of them had been combined but we didn't because we had all accepted responsibility individually, etc.
    I didn't want to say anything at the time because it's not part or a mods job to have anything to do with the orders and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to bring it up.
    I was wondering if it might be beneficial to do something like a more scheduled order and let it open for people to volunteer, maybe make it a sticky or something and only do it like every 3/6 months.
    I'm just throwing some ideas out there, not sure if they would work and I'm open to other suggestions.

Anywhoo, think the mods are doing a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I like the way the Forum runs. I do think an Events Sub-Forum would be great though.
    CF has become like a SportifAdviser.
    In my time here we have seen plenty of 'What do you want from Sportives' type threads from Organisers who must value it as a place to promote .

Reports from the day can decide do you pencil it in for the next season . No other site in Ireland reports and unoffically Grades Sportif type events straight from the riders.

Some of the Events that are run in areas with a smaller Boardsis population can get lost very quickly so a sub-forum would make it easier to find info and read reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Thankless job, so, Thanks!

Just one request: Please ban anyone who writes 'peddles', and if they use it in the Thread title please lock the thread immediately.

I'm serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Thankless job, so, Thanks!

Just one request: Please ban anyone who writes 'peddles', and if they use it in the Thread title please lock the thread immediately.

I'm serious.

Hear hear!

And if people could stop posting threads in the cycling adverts forum. This really grinds my 11 speed cogs. This forum is for people to pedal their wears and nothing else! Argh!

It brakes my heart to when I see such things ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I really like the forum, and I think the moderators do a fine job. I've very little interest in the sport/training end of things, but I still find plenty to interest me most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I agree with Lukester and Raam in that moderating has got too heavyhanded. I think El Tonto summed it up very well; things should be left alone to develop and interfered with only when really necessary. I know it can be a difficult line, maybe if a mod asked himself 'do I REALLY need to do this' before acting.

People posting race spoilers though, show no mercy!

Strongly against splitting of the forum- I'd be afraid that branches would start dying off for lack of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Again like most, I think the forum is a great resource, well moderated with great characters adding mostly reliable info!! ;-)

I might add (I've seem it on other forums) try a 'new bike master thread....

I think the 'I'm thinking of a new bike' or 'which bike' or 'bike1 vs bike2' threads are repetitive and take up a huge amount of space....

So I suggest a sticky 'which bike' thread given that there are daily & multiple posts like these...

Thanks

D

Edit: you should ban idiots like me who don't read the thread before posting!!!

I normally do, I promise. Terrible! I will reprimand myself as I see fit!!

And yes an events sub forum or a calendar (is that possible, I'm a net user with no knowledge other than basic forum trolling!!)

Thanks again

Just to clarify one point on stickies - we have been asked by the site adminstrators to keep these down to the bare minimum - with 3 being the normal maximum permitted in any forum

We have achieved this by stickying the Broomwagon and Charter, leaving us one available for temporary stickies, which tends to be a spoiler warning during the racing season. Hence even by stickying this feedback thread we have gone over our "quota"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

cipo wrote: »
    or a calendar (is that possible, I'm a net user with no knowledge other than basic forum trolling!!)

There are three calendars in the FAQ which users can edit

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 on the mods here i frequeant other forums (gasp) and it usually goes too far on light moodding or heavy modding

+1 perma ban on breaks and peddles :p

i actually dont think splitting the forum works, in other forums i tend to go to say the pro cycling sub forum and nowhere else, so i wouldnnt touch a newbs forum say.

and annoying as all the what bike should i buy everyone has to start somewhere (mine was a raleigh javelin after several bikes off the tip)
    an i guess not everyone as a rack of old wheels and frames hanging in the shed (cant bear to throw them away) and boxes of old breaks and peddles
    although a bit of clue as to what they are doing would help

onza h.o pedals anyone (god they were cr*p)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

We have achieved this by stickying the Broomwagon and Charter, leaving us one available for temporary stickies, which tends to be a spoiler warning during the racing season. Hence even by stickying this feedback thread we have gone over our "quota"

What about making it a sub forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

keepit up lads.

I appreciate what a thankless task it can be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Another wee thing, users should be encouraged / pushed/ bullied into using the SEARCH function more!!

Huge amount of threads going over the same topic over & over again.....

Sticky quota-

Is there a need for broomwagon to be stickied??? I've never used it but if it's used often- it's easy to search and find.....

+1 for unstickying (spelling?) the broomwagon. The vast majority of the post are from regular cycling forum users. They can all find it easily enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Happy enough generally.
    Appreciate the effort the mods put in.

Wouldn't like any more subforums and the less stickies the better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm against unstickying the broomwagon. As soon as it drops off the front page I believe we'll have threads being opened up on very mundane topics not deserving of a dedicated thread which in turn pushes more interesting threads off.

Mods being heavy handed, I think we'll be discussing this amongst ourselves. The critics of the no chat thread, personally I feel justified, there are other similar threads on boards, there is always images of beauty for chat. Also threads like helmet debates usually end up with infractions and bitching, which I'd rather prevent. It's a balancing act, which is fairly hard but it's the posters which rule the forum not the mods and to be fair all of us have been open to suggestions.

Repetitive thread, yeah, I also would like to see more searching or even reading the forum before you post anything. That Lithuanian mayor made a few appearances yesterday.

Repetitive posts are a fact of forums. Newbies need info and we should be glad to give it to them.

Friday threads, it's up to you guys.

Splitting the forum, I'm very much against this. I think mixing everything together works very well. Sub forums can seem like a great idea but mostly die a death very quickly. The forum content is all down to what people post and is impossible to change unless we started advertising at mountain bike clubs or something to balance it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement