Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple moving to Dublin for work? Where to live?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know there has been some similar threads with some useful information, but any more specific information would be very welcome.

The situation is that my longterm girlfriend has been working in the IFSC for the past two years and living in Clontarf. I've recently been working in Belfast for the past few years but recently got offered a job in Dublin out in Park West.

I'll need my car some days for work but would like the option of LUAS. She can park at the IFSC but would prefer LUAS/Dart option.

I'd like some advice on where would be suitable for us to live considering the following:
    -We'd like to rent in an area to see if we like it before potentially buying in about 12months (rental we'd spend 800-900euro per month with the view to buying a 3bed home for approx 250,000euro +/-20,000)
    - she is 25 and i'm 27, looking for somewhere safe close to shops/pub/restaurants/ etc thats easy enough to get into city centre.

Any suggestions on where would be suitable would be very welcome,

Thanks in advance......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Kilmainham/Inchicore?

Close to Blackhorse Luas stop, good few buses and fairly close to the city centre. Plenty of shops, takeaways and a few pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Looked at a few places on Daft and Kilmainham looks a good option. Like the fact that its handy enough into city centre, but we'd probably be getting more space for our money if we moved out the Red Luas Line more?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Looked at a few places on Daft and Kilmainham looks a good option. Like the fact that its handy enough into city centre, but we'd probably be getting more space for our money if we moved out the Red Luas Line more?

Well the further you move from the city the cheaper is usually gets. Have a look around Kingswood Luas stop would be another suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What about Castleforbes, right beside the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hi all,

I know there has been some similar threads with some useful information, but any more specific information would be very welcome.

The situation is that my longterm girlfriend has been working in the IFSC for the past two years and living in Clontarf. I've recently been working in Belfast for the past few years but recently got offered a job in Dublin out in Park West.

I'll need my car some days for work but would like the option of LUAS. She can park at the IFSC but would prefer LUAS/Dart option.

I'd like some advice on where would be suitable for us to live considering the following:
    -We'd like to rent in an area to see if we like it before potentially buying in about 12months (rental we'd spend 800-900euro per month with the view to buying a 3bed home for approx 250,000euro +/-20,000)
    - she is 25 and i'm 27, looking for somewhere safe close to shops/pub/restaurants/ etc thats easy enough to get into city centre.

Any suggestions on where would be suitable would be very welcome,

Thanks in advance......

Not being smart, but would your girlfriend not have an idea? esp if your looking to buy in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm going to throw a mention in for Walkinstown. It's a quiet town with an older population (that are starting to die off, more and more houses popping up for sale). It's a bit of a walk from the luas line but is serviced by no less than 6 buses going to the city centre. You could drive to park west in <10 mins. For getting further afield, it shares an almost (what nearly appears to be) private on/off ramp to the m50 at ballymount - no messing with the mad cow experience.

I could go into schools, sports facilities, pubs etc. but there's an awful lot to be said and I'm getting tired of typing on my phone.

Also, according to some, the halfway house has the best Guinness in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Thanks for the replies lads, some good information. Will have a look and hopefully come up with something.

IrishGuy, she's been living up in Clontarf for the past while but neither of us are from Dublin and we wouldnt have spent much time in Dublin at the weekends etc....Would have a good idea of the main areas of the city, and wanted this thread just to give some extra info and get more specifics...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Have you considered Park West itself? The 151 bus runs into town and down to the Point so is accessible for the IFSC or there is the option of (not all that frequent) train to Hueston and Luas the rest of the way.

Admittedly facilities in the immediate vicinity are sparse but it's close to town, very accessible to M50 for getting about and Clondalkin is nearby for grocery shopping (Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi) and Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Inchicore is probably your best bet if you want to be near the Luas. Any further out and you're adding a lot of time onto your daily commute. It's beside Kilmainham but slightly cheaper for rent. It gets a bad press but I lived there for about a year and a half and never had any issues. You'll get a decent two bed apartment there for 800/850 a month. There's a couple of good pubs, every kind of takeaway, butchers, off licence a decent Spar and a Tesco express in the centre. Luas to IFSC from there will be about ~30 minutes. You can catch it at either the Blackhorse or Drimnagh stop, depending on which end of Inchicore you live. Basically where ever you live in Inchicore you will not be more then a 6/7 minutes gentle stroll from a Luas stop. Taxi from town if you're out for the night shouldn't be more than a tenner.

Just to make sure you know the walk from the Luas to Park West is a good 20-30 minutes, possibly longer if your company is deep in the park. There is a shuttle bus from the Kylemore stop but I wouldn't really bother considering it as a commuting option if you have a car. The drive from Inchicore to Park West should only be around 15 minutes in rush hour. There are a couple of routes you can take.

Advertisement