Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Is it Borderlands with a new story or has it got a new engine?
    It's still based on Unreal Engine 3 so same engine but with some more improvements.

The story is new though, here's the abbreviated version of events/characters:

Is it really bad to admit I never finished Borderlands 1? I don't know.. the last boss battle annoyed me too much to want to. It was a brilliant, over-the-top and beautiful game,
    which descended into another tentacle boss battle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Started download on PS3, 5446MB and an immense 100KB for the premium club activation file.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it really bad to admit I never finished Borderlands 1? I don't know.. the last boss battle annoyed me too much to want to. It was a brilliant, over-the-top and beautiful game,
    which descended into another tentacle boss battle

I've never finished it either if that makes you feel any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

What character will you start with this time? Last time I started with Roland. Never really like the character despite the fact that I finished the game with him. Played through a second time with Mordecai which was a lot more fun.

I think with 2 I will play as the Siren first, though I am interested by the Assassin. There could be some nice tactical play with the gunzerker, having two weapons which are complementary to each other could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

sarumite wrote: »
    What character will you start with this time? Last time I started with Roland. Never really like the character despite the fact that I finished the game with him. Played through a second time with Mordecai which was a lot more fun.

I think with 2 I will play as the Siren first, though I am interested by the Assassin. There could be some nice tactical play with the gunzerker, having two weapons which are complementary to each other could be good.

One shock element gun to take down the enemies shield, and the other incendiary to set them on fire :)

Gonna do my first run with Axton. Loved Roland's turret, got me out of several sticky situations in the first game. Will probably run with Maya for online games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

sarumite wrote: »

I'm having a hard time choosing between Axton and Zer0. I like Axton because he is more of a team character, he's some use to the rest of the team. As for Zer0, he specializes with snipers and I love snipers but he's pretty much useless to the rest of your team. He seems to be only good at take out medium sized targets quickly and looks like he'd be dealing the least damage in a boss fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

I haven't played the first game, always been lightly intrigued by it though so I'm considering picking this up as I've heard nothing but good things.

Question is though, would I have to play the first to understand the second game?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I haven't played the first game, always been lightly intrigued by it though so I'm considering picking this up as I've heard nothing but good things.

Question is though, would I have to play the first to understand the second game?

Nope.

FPS with loot and brilliant gameplay and art style.

Pro Tip: he who gets the shinist gun 1st in coop maybe be considered a dick but....he has the shiniest gun :D

Coop is where its at even with randomers its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's not War and Peace...
    "Borderlands begins some time after the Dahl Corporation's abandonment of the planet Pandora as several fortune seekers, including the player's character, arrive in search of the fabled Vault.

After discovering the town of Fyrestone, the player begins to receive instructions from an image of a mysterious woman known as the "Guardian Angel." The player meets a "Claptrap" robot and a man named Dr. Zed who help the player establish a reputation by killing several bandit leaders, eventually leading to the collection of the first alien artifact needed to open the Vault.

This causes Patricia Tannis, Dahl's former archeologist still in residence on the planet, to contact the player, revealing that the Vault can only be accessed once every 200 years and that the time of the next opening is approaching. Tannis also explains that three more artifacts are needed to complete the Vault Key.

Meanwhile, Commandant Steele of the Crimson Lance (a well-outfitted mercenary force hired by the Atlas Corporation) threatens to declare martial law and demands the Vault Key pieces.
    The player secures the second and third pieces by following Tannis' instructions, but the final piece turns out not to be where expected. Steele contacts the player to reveal that there are in fact only three pieces and that Tannis has betrayed and misled the player.

Steele then disables the planet's ECHO network, preventing further communication with the Guardian Angel and anyone else. The player infiltrates the Crimson Lance's headquarters and finds Tannis imprisoned. She claims she was forced into betrayal and urges the player to restart the ECHO network and to stop Steele and the Crimson Lance before they reach the Vault.

After restoring the network, the Guardian Angel directs the player toward Steele's location. During the final approach to the Vault, the player encounters Crimson Lance forces already locked in combat with the Vault's alien Guardians. The player finally arrives at the Vault only moments too late to stop Steele from using the Key. When the Vault opens, a giant monster emerges and wipes out Steele and the rest of her troops. The Guardian Angel explains that the monster is called "the Destroyer" and was imprisoned in the Vault long ago by the alien Eridians in order to prevent the destruction of the universe, and that the Guardians were posted to prevent anyone from opening it. Although the player defeats the monster, the Vault is re-sealed for another 200 years.

The Guardian Angel is revealed to be a Hyperion satellite in orbit high above Pandora. The game ends with the satellite sending a signal to a claptrap robot on the planet, changing it into an "Interplanetary Ninja Assassin" (continued in the plot of the DLC "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution")."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

360 version has appeared, sooooo tempted...

Silly question, but does this mean Borderlands 2 is set directly after the events on 1, or 200 years later when the Vault reopens?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

think it's quite soon after the events in the first one considering some of the original characters are in BL2 as NPC's

Oh really? I hadn't noticed that. It's been a while since I played #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

if i wanted to power through the first one to get the story etc how long would it take roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

a few days, depends on how much time you have to put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

At least 20 hours I'd say. You will need to do some sidequests to level up, or you will find the later sections (after the
    Crimson Lance
    show up) pretty tough.

The best part of Borderlands 1 was the fact that you just would not enter some areas unless you've reached a certain level, whereas with other games, the enemies level up with you. Hope #2 keeps this going.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    if i wanted to power through the first one to get the story etc how long would it take roughly?

Honestly don't think the storyline is that important. I played through the game twice and halfway through a third run and never really cared for the story all that much. I think you could probably just read the synopsis on Wiki and enjoy Borderlands 2. However, if you want to, playing Borderlands for the fun of playing it is well worth the time spent.

The best part of Borderlands 1 was the fact that you just would not enter some areas unless you've reached a certain level, whereas with other games, the enemies level up with you. Hope #2 keeps this going.

Although I do hope the new game + is a little tougher. I found going back in with my character after completing the game was a little bit too easy.

• Advertisement

If anyone's wondering, Xtra-Vision have now stopped taking pre-orders for Borderlands 2, unfortunately. GameStop on the other hand, still are. I was on the phone to them there and the chap said that I should be fine if I book 2 days in advance. Just a heads up to anyone who still hasn't pre-ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm getting this from Amazon, but want to get the season pass from Steam afterwards. Will I be cool getting this once I've activated it? Does the season pass go up in price once the main game is released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Man this week is gonna drag. Gonna be picking it up after work on friday. Even then it will be saturday or sunday before i may have a chance to play it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just picked it up yesterday from GetGamesGo.com for 37.49 as a steam activation key with the pre-order special thrown in, best price ive seen online or off and now pre-loaded and ready to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some spoilers in the trailer, but it's pretty cool. Nice to see
    all the original characters in there together.

4 days everyone! :D

Looks brilliant. Hope they don't go down the same route as Dead Island, where all characters were featured in the cutscenes, even if you were playing single player. They didn't in #1, so I hope this won't change this time around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Downloading my free copy now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Decided to change my order. Was going with amazon @ £24.95 and no guarantee of it being delivered on Friday (even though I'm in the UK) and decided to go with greenmangaming since I can preload it and it's cheaper over here too. Got it for £21.60. Can also get the season pass for the DLC with them for £15 but money is really tight right now that I actually cant afford to get that as well. Oh well.

I've tended to steer clear of the promo vids/articles of it so I'm going into this kinda blind although I did watch some of the earlier stuff. Really should do some research on the different classes.

Advertisement