Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical advice needed!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, I've noticed that I'm not watching a lot of TV these days - watching RTE Player, DVD's etc but not actual telly. Yet Im paying UPC for two tv packages and broadband and just wonder if there's a more economical way to do it?
    I need to discuss this without loads of techno jargon if poss as Im easily confused biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You are not asking for technical advice, despite the thread title, you are essentially asking whether or not you need the UPC TV service. The answer is simple.......

Unplug the co-ax cable from the UPC box, you will still have broadband, you will still be able to watch DVDs, see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheMaryMc

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I just have their BB service,..they'll charge you €7.75 extra per month for just taking BB only,..the answer is try to ultise the BB connection as much as you can to save money,..I got rid of eircom & switched to blueface for my phone service which works just like UPC's phone service,..over your BB connection but far better value & no missleading small print peak/off peak rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheMaryMc

Yes I switched from Eircom too and am very happy with UPC broadband. I dont have a home phone any more since getting an iPhone.
    Think I'll get some kind of satellite service for my TV as I really only want basic channells and nothing fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

TheMaryMc wrote: »
    Yes I switched from Eircom too and am very happy with UPC broadband. I dont have a home phone any more since getting an iPhone.
    Think I'll get some kind of satellite service for my TV as I really only want basic channells and nothing fancy!
    I got one of these little boxes, it connects to both a sat dish & an aerial ,..with that you'll get all the main UK satellite free channels in HD, BBC's, ITV's,Channel 4,Film 4 & many more, plus with the aerial you'll pickup all the Irish digital channels as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The OP did not ask 'what are my alternatives to UPC TV' so please let's not turn this into a Freesat/Saorview thread.....
    TheMaryMc wrote: »
    Hi, I've noticed that I'm not watching a lot of TV these days - watching RTE Player, DVD's etc but not actual telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

coylemj wrote: »
    The OP did not ask 'what are my alternatives to UPC TV' so please let's not turn this into a Freesat/Saorview thread.....

The OP said..... Hi, I've noticed that I'm not watching a lot of TV these days - watching RTE Player, DVD's etc but not actual telly. Yet Im paying UPC for two tv packages and broadband and just wonder if there's a more economical way to do it?

Not a lot. More economical. What way did you read it ?

OP for the television that you do watch you may wish to know that 9 out of the top 10 channels Irish people watch are actually free to air WITHOUT subscription to UPC or any PAY provider.

The information lensman gave you is GOOD and legal advice. After you pay for the equipment you will have no more bills yet watchable TV* for the times you do watch it. There is nothing more economical than free!

*RTE1, 2, Tv3, 3e, TG4, BBCs 1,2,3,4, ITV 1, 2,3, 4, Ch4, E4, More 4, Film 4, Channel 5, Sky News, BBc News, BBC HD, BBC 1 HD, ITV HD are ALL free to air.

Advertisement