Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze on day of purchase

Options
  • 03-08-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

What's the story with freezing a few days after purchase, surely no difference as long the product is still in date. Don't worry i know threads like this can be closed because i go off and kill myself by eating something dodgy but no worries there, just wondering why the packaging can't even limit to 'freeze within 2/3 days' or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Manufacturers/producers are playing it safe is probably the reason. Mainly because they may be unsure as to whether the purchaser will store the product in a safe manner before they freeze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Manufacturers/producers are playing it safe is probably the reason. Mainly because they may be unsure as to whether the purchaser will store the product in a safe manner before they freeze it.

This is what I figured all right, related to the 'Do you follow BB/Use by date' thread really, it's mad how much they have to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/is-it-time-to-chuck-out-sellby-dates-1881142.html
    Take "freeze on day of purchase". While many fresh products carry this instruction, WRAP, the government-backed Waste & Resources Action Programme, advises that such products can be safely frozen right up to their "use by" date.

"The key to the usability of any product is ensuring you store it according to the manufacturer's advice," WRAP campaigns director Doreen Macintyre explains. "Perishable products labelled 'freeze on day of purchase' can be safely frozen right up to their 'use by' date, so long as they've been stored correctly."

Makes sense, as you could have bought it could have been on sale up to the use by date. With something big like a turkey it might take a full day for it to fully freeze, and another day to fully defrost so it should be done ASAP

Advertisement