Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trench servics guidles for CAT5, Electric and Water

• 03-08-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

got to upgrade the electric cable going to the yard
    bury water pipe deeper to avoid the frosts
    run a CAT5 for the calving camera's
    approx 200m

Got to do a run to the slatted unit, calving shed and the pump house

can i put CAT5 and a 3 by 6square electric near each other or?

any suggestions on ducting or how best to lay out the trench?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think 200m will be too long for CAT5, AFAIK the longest supported run is 100m, I don't know if it wouldn't work at all or if the data rate would be severely reduced.

I'm not sure what effect the electric cable would have, I'd suggest you ask the folks over on the nets/comms forum, you'll get a better answer there I'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

nilhg wrote: »
    I think 200m will be too long for CAT5, AFAIK the longest supported run is 100m, I don't know if it wouldn't work at all or if the data rate would be severely reduced.

I'm not sure what effect the electric cable would have, I'd suggest you ask the folks over on the nets/comms forum, you'll get a better answer there I'd think.

thanks i'll try that
    the CAT5 is not a single 200m run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

49801 wrote: »
    got to upgrade the electric cable going to the yard
    bury water pipe deeper to avoid the frosts
    run a CAT5 for the calving camera's
    approx 200m

Got to do a run to the slatted unit, calving shed and the pump house

can i put CAT5 and a 3 by 6square electric near each other or?

any suggestions on ducting or how best to lay out the trench?

The magnetic field created by the 6sq cable could affect the information being carried in the CAT 5 if they are run parallel. I'd put a bit if distance between them and possibly put them in two seperate hydrodares.

threeball wrote: »
    The magnetic field created by the 6sq cable could affect the information being carried in the CAT 5 if they are run parallel. I'd put a bit if distance between them and possibly put them in two seperate hydrodares.

How much distance is what i'am stuck on... 6", 1'
    The CAT5 is for camera's... currently analogue but may go digital in the future.
    Would I be able to do a 90degree turn of the CAT5 over the electric cable at 3 or 4 points.

thinking i'll duct the CAT5 and direct bury the electric. good/bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

49801 wrote: »
    How much distance is what i'am stuck on... 6", 1'
    The CAT5 is for camera's... currently analogue but may go digital in the future.
    Would I be able to do a 90degree turn of the CAT5 over the electric cable at 3 or 4 points.

thinking i'll duct the CAT5 and direct bury the electric. good/bad idea?

you can get a shielded cat5 which would probably be ok beside the electric cable, pricey though,100m is max recommended cat5 run although it would work a bit longer than that, you could run fibre and get trancievers to change it to ethernet either end, kinda getting into more expense there though

• Advertisement

you can get a shielded cat5 which would probably be ok beside the electric cable, pricey though,100m is max recommended cat5 run although it would work a bit longer than that, you could run fibre and get trancievers to change it to ethernet either end, kinda getting into more expense there though

been quoted 110euro incl VAT for a box (300m) of screened CAT5. Should only need one box. current intentions are to run the camera's in each shed to a powered hub.

Advertisement