Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant connect laptop

Options
  • 03-08-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

We have wireless network in our home and my sons laptop was alway able to work off it. for no reason it stopped finding the network this morning and when we try to find it, it simply does not show up? it doesnt come up on the long list of networks he has used but not this one. the wireless button is turned on and I simply cant find any other reason.
    any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not a Broadband issue. Moved to Wireless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try setting up a new wireless network - just access the wireless router and change the name of the old network to something new and try changing the wireless channel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ok strange thing is.. somehow fixed this after last post. but now it is gone again. other laptop in the house does not have a problem but the problem is with another laptop. is searches for ip address and then says the connection to WLAN failed. would appreciate any help:(

anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭holcus

What did you do to fix it? One Laptop is connecting and has Internet but the other cannot connect right? was it working before? what operating system do you have on the one that is not working. Did you try all advices from dub45?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The wifi card in the laptop might have an intermittent fault.

But unless you do what dub45 set everything up fresh you can't confirm it.

Also something else in the house or a neighbours house might be causing interference but on that laptop only.

ok I am a complete dufus and I am sorry but I got lost after: just access the wireless router and change the name of the old network to something new and try changing the wireless channel as well. dub45
    my sons laptop is running windows vista and the last time it stopped working he fixed (or thinks he did) but has no idea what he did.
    I found the wireless router (zyxel) how do change the name of it? what is the wireless channel? how do I get this? really appreciate the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭holcus

you need to access your routers admin panel. You can connect to it via your web browser, typing into address bar each of the following until it displays something:

it will ask you for a password. Its probably one of the default like on this page:
    http://www.default-password.info/zyxel/

then you go to wireless settings where you can change your channel etc.
    If you brake something don't worry. Just restore factory defaults.

Advertisement