Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying near Croke Park?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Spotted a house I'm interested in quite near Croke Park, off Clonliffe Road, within earshot of the stadium.
    Just wondering would it be madness to buy there with GAA stuff / helicopters etc all summer?
    Any experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

I live in Drumcondra but not beside Croke Park. I have a friend who does though, just off of Clonliffe Rd. To be honest, it isn't a particularly good area and it isn't an area I would consider buying in. I love Drumcondra but that part of it is a bit dodgy. Now not everyone will agree with me of course. You can get beautiful houses, with tons of character and for very competitive prices in that area, but I think there is a good reason for that. It is very close to Summerhill for a start, and Gardiner St/Mountjoy Square and that general area. My friend has huge issues living close to Croke Park. She doesn't mind the noise/police/road closures etc etc. She finds all that a bit different and kind of nice and it isn't every day of the week. She has big problems with the sport and concert goers though. People p*ss*ng in her garden, throwing empty cans and litter into her garden, puking outside her house, trampling on her flowers etc. She said that there are often times when people will, for the laugh, run through the gardens, hoping over the dividing walls etc, to avoid the crowds. SO that causes some problems! Also, there is increased traffic in the area when matches and stuff are on, so she has to be quite on the ball in that regard, and plan her trips to and fro accordingly. But again, it isn't all the time. It's not an area I would recommend. But others will probably disagree and will point out some positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a lot of student houses there too, down around Millmount especially, so things can get noisy during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

There's a lot of student houses there too, down around Millmount especially, so things can get noisy during the week.

Millmount is a lovely area, populated mostly by older people, and a 10 minute walk to where the OP is asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Thanks for replies...the road is Distillery Road if that makes a difference.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

I really like the Millmount area and it is a good bit away from Clonliffe Road. I don't think you could judge one area based on the other at all. It is mostly families and older people there now I would have thought. The rent is surprisingly high in that area, so I'd be surprised if students are forking out. It is close to where I live and I have many friends from that area (met via Mother & Toddler groups!) and I would recommend checking out around there for properties, if you like Drumcondra OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Distillery road is quite nice. You will have serious disruptions over the weekends. Getting your car in and out is a real pain. While you won't have people really walking down your road during games and concerts you will hear a lot of noise. Having a relaxing Sunday will be pretty much out of the question.

I wouldn't buy there myself for those reasons alone.

Thanks folks .. I reckon I'll pass on house so :mad:

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Zipppy wrote: »
    Thanks folks .. I reckon I'll pass on house so :mad:

Cheers :)
    Il jump in on this debate if I may. I live in an apartment on that very road. Yes there is disruption at weekends with the matches but if you come in from ballybough side the turn for distillery rd is only a couple hundred metres up and as long as u have your residency pass there is no problem getting past the guards. Granted theres a bit of noise for 2 months of the summer but it's all over by 6 o'clock. Not as if it's gonna wake u up in morning or keep u awake at night. In terms of anti social behaviour I've never experienced it. It's actually a very quiet road and only a stones throw from town. Won't have any problems from students as it's far enough away from st pats not to have a huge student rental Market. I wouldn't write it off straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thehamo wrote: »
    Not as if it's gonna wake u up in morning or keep u awake at night.
    Concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Victor wrote: »
    Not as if it's gonna wake u up in morning or keep u awake at night.
    Concerts?

Once in a blue moon! Ive had to deal with more house parties from neighbours in the past than concerts in Croke park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 fuff

Completely agree with thehamo - once you have your residents' pass and you time your comings and goings on match days, then the disruption is minimal. And I live at the Drumcondra end of Clonliffe Road, within hearing distance of Quinns.

Personally, I wouldn't write it off straight away either!

Il jump in on this debate if I may. I live in an apartment on that very road. Yes there is disruption at weekends with the matches but if you come in from ballybough side the turn for distillery rd is only a couple hundred metres up and as long as u have your residency pass there is no problem getting past the guards. Granted theres a bit of noise for 2 months of the summer but it's all over by 6 o'clock. Not as if it's gonna wake u up in morning or keep u awake at night. In terms of anti social behaviour I've never experienced it. It's actually a very quiet road and only a stones throw from town. Won't have any problems from students as it's far enough away from st pats not to have a huge student rental Market. I wouldn't write it off straight away!

I've actually started thinking of it again...

Two months you say and all over at 6...

Tomorrow's Dubs matche isnt on till 7pm and surely with Provincal finals, league final, all ireland qualifers, quarters, semis and final and ladies and and and and .. there would be a lot more than two months disruption????

I do agree with location tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Victor wrote: »
    Concerts?

Croke park only have four concerts a year..or three if Prince is touring..

mattjack wrote: »

LMAO :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fuff

mattjack wrote: »

:D

Seriously though, have a look at the Croke Park website, they have a calendar on there with the events marked. A lot of matches are club finals and things like that which aren't even busy enough for the roads to be closed. It's such a handy spot in every other way, we've found it a small price to pay.

Advertisement