Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grant - no evidence of address?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi,

im currently applying for a grant but all of my post gets sent to my parents address, and as such i dont have any proof of address, is there any other way of getting around this problem

all help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 schmoops

the same thing happened me last year, i had to go as a dependent mature student under my mums income. but that worked out in my favour in the end because her income was lower than mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you are living independently of your parents for some time why is your post not going to your own address?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ms patience

i move around so often that its just handier that way, its always been easy enough to pick up the post when needed.

never thought of changing it for the purpose of getting a grant.

if i go as a dependant mature student, i dont think ill get the grant as even though my father is retired he earned enough last year to be a high treshold.

i dont think its fair that i hes income should have any bearing on whether i get a grant or not since i have been financially independant for over 10 years now.

my friend told me earlier that if i get a letter and a signed esb bill from the landlord that it should be sufficient enough for proof of address.

does anybody know if theres any truth in this.

as always all help is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Did you sign a lease?

no lease, current landlord is a friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 schmoops

the people in the grants office would not accept a letter from my landlord to say that i was living there,who knows though i wouldnt rule it out,it depends who you deal with sometimes, ive come across helpful people aswell the others,

schmoops wrote: »
    the people in the grants office would not accept a letter from my landlord to say that i was living there,who knows though i wouldnt rule it out,it depends who you deal with sometimes, ive come across helpful people aswell the others,

not looking good so......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

<snip>

Don't post anything which maybe deemed illegal. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyhans

I was a 26 year old mature student last year when i applied for my grant. I had no bill in my name except bank statements and broadband. This was not accepted. When college came around i had no grant letter so i had to pay 1500e registration fee and i was given 6 moths to pay the 2400 fees. I battled all year to get the grant i was entitled to and up to today i was still fighting. I couldnt pay fees cos i hadnt get my grant and therefore my results were not released to me. After working very hard to get back into college i now cannot afford to stay in it because the Carlow VEC are bastards. Solid bastards. No two ways about it im afraid. I got an affadavid- didnt work. They asked for a letter from the guards i got a letter from the chief super proving my address- didnt work. Got them bank statement from exact date they wanted-didnt work. Sorry to hear your problem but you had to hear this. You can send me a mail on this if you have any advice or news but im screwed either way

• Advertisement

tommyhans wrote: »
    I was a 26 year old mature student last year when i applied for my grant. I had no bill in my name except bank statements and broadband. This was not accepted. When college came around i had no grant letter so i had to pay 1500e registration fee and i was given 6 moths to pay the 2400 fees. I battled all year to get the grant i was entitled to and up to today i was still fighting. I couldnt pay fees cos i hadnt get my grant and therefore my results were not released to me. After working very hard to get back into college i now cannot afford to stay in it because the Carlow VEC are bastards. Solid bastards. No two ways about it im afraid. I got an affadavid- didnt work. They asked for a letter from the guards i got a letter from the chief super proving my address- didnt work. Got them bank statement from exact date they wanted-didnt work. Sorry to hear your problem but you had to hear this. You can send me a mail on this if you have any advice or news but im screwed either way

thats a terrible situation,

what reason did they give for not accepting the bank statements and broadband bill - i thought thats exactly what they wanted:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 theboybrown

Hi. I had a similar situation. Returned to the country 18 months before i returned to college. lived at home for a month before I moved in with a friend. All bills were in his name and other stuff still posted to parents house. So I had no proof of independent residence.
    As I understand it a local authority will only accept an original copy of a bill, statement etc., ie. something suitably official; dated no more recently than 1 year prior to commencement of course. In my case no such document existed. So I applied as a dependant. unfortunately our joint incomes put us over the treshhold for grant eligability. the year after i reapplied as dependant upon my parents and was awarded the grant.
    Despite your parents high income you may be eligable. If for example your parents have other dependants who have no income (have you siblings who are at school or university?) then their means are substantially reduced.
    Worst case scenario is you swallow it for a year. you will be asked to pay the registration fee. However, assuming you have never previously gained a third level qualification, or have attended a third level institution in the previous 5 years then you should be exempt from course fees. Re-apply next year and you should be successful. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

ESB Bill, Gas Bill should be accepted as proof of address.As These letters wont be going to your parents house too? :D LOL

If you don't have esb or Gas in your name then it will be impossible to prove that you are NOT living with your parents at the moment. You really would need proper proof, your word is not going to cut it, along with a letter from a friend. Soz. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

no lease, current landlord is a friend

Hey, You say your landlord is a friend but you have not lease, why dont you get him/her to draw you up a lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

or can you not get the ESB in your current house to add your name to the bill, send in a meter reading and they'll in a few days send you a letter.

thanks for all the feedback and suggestions,

I may be able to get my name on the esb bill, but the problem is that i was under the impression that, you must have proof of address for the previous year.ie proof which was dated something like 03 oct 2010.

this is impossible for me unfortunately, and im planning to attend a masters which is costing close to 7,000! theres no way in hell that i could afford to pay that :(

Advertisement