Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduation Sept 2011

• 03-08-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm graduating in September and have a few questions. Hopefully some one can steer me in the right direction!
    Where would be nice to go to for dinner with my parents that day?? (Mostly ate in Scoozis and Lennoxes if I was to eat out during college!)
    Also,do UCC e-mail info. re caps and gowns?? In an email I got 6/7 weeks ago they said they'd email us about two weeks before hand. Or do we organise that ourselves??
    Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

You should have got an email I think but everything you need to know is here - http://www.ucc.ie/en/current/conferrings/ConferringDayInformation/ And ye thats a good question about restaurants!! I dont know myself, usually go to Captain Americas but dont think that will do for the day!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Amicus on St Paul's Street is a nice place for family! Lovely food and great value for money, portions are just about right. Nice place too and very good service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

About the gowns, it says you've to reserve them from a company, but from the tidbits I got from previous graduates was that you go over to one of the main Electrical Engineering rooms and get them in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ya, I got my gown from the Electrical Engineering building. The company UCC uses for the gowns use it as a base.

So you can just get them in the EE building rather than order online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I THINK...that the procedure is you put your order in online a week or so in advance of your graduation so that they have the right number of gowns, sizes etc on the day. Then the electric engineering building is the point for picking up your gown order on the morning of the graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Greene's Restaurant on McCurtin Street is nice. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

So's Luigi Malone's, opposite the Opera House, or the Cornstore on the Coal Quay. Check the Cork forum too I'd say, people have asked about places for dinner there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lady Gagarin

Also about graduation, does anyone know if you have to do anything to indicate you'll be graduating in absentia? I'm currently living in New York so I won't be able to attend. Should I contact someone and let them know, or is it acceptable to just not turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

So you can just get them in the EE building rather than order online?

From what I remember you have to give them your size and faculty. You just pick up the gown and hood from the electrical engineering building a day or two before the conferring ceremony. Bring a safety pin to your conferring...you'll have to pin the hood to your gown to keep it in place. Now all you only have to worry about is not tripping going up and down the steps on the stage in the hall in the student centre.
    Also about graduation, does anyone know if you have to do anything to indicate you'll be graduating in absentia? I'm currently living in New York so I won't be able to attend. Should I contact someone and let them know, or is it acceptable to just not turn up?

I think I got a graduation pack and there was a thing in it you sent back to UCC to indicate if you were attending the conferring or not. My memory is a bit hazy though...my graduation was in 2007. If not, I'm sure you can email UCC and tell them you're not going. They'll just send you your degree certificate in the post. You won't be missing much...a speech along the lines of how the world is now your oyster, a bit of Latin and getting your certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

If you're going for dinner with the folks has to be Isaacs on MacCurtain St (opposite everyman theatre).

You should get (if you haven't already) a letter in the post about conferring, with tickets for the main event and the reception afterwards.

Also it has a postcard to sent them should you not be able to attend the ceremony!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 VanGo27

Outside of the city try Bunnyconnellan near Crosshaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

If you are looking for somewhere nice near the university then go to the Hayfield Manor which is absolutely fantastic for lunch and dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

D-Generate wrote: »
    If you are looking for somewhere nice near the university then go to the Hayfield Manor which is absolutely fantastic for lunch and dinner.

While I agree most people I know rave about it I have had nothing but bad experiences there, average over priced food, bad service and very stuffy. But as I said other people rave.

If you want some thing nice for dinner I would say Jacobs on the mall, or for lunch the Cornstore, Augustines in the clarion is also very nice for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

While I agree most people I know rave about it I have had nothing but bad experiences there, average over priced food, bad service and very stuffy. But as I said other people rave.

If you want some thing nice for dinner I would say Jacobs on the mall, or for lunch the Cornstore, Augustines in the clarion is also very nice for dinner.

I agree with all of these. Jacobs on the Mall is especially nice if you want to make something a bit more of an occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Anyone know what the story is with tickets?
    Are the 3 reception tickets for 3 guests or 2 guests and yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Two tickets say "Admit one guest" one ticket says "Admit one graduate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Damn, in that case, anyone have a spare ticket for the reception? I'd be willing to pay (anything to avoid family argument:rolleyes:). PM me, anyone who does.

If anyone has a spare graduation ticket could you PM me? I'd be forever in your debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone know what the story is for the graduation ball? Tried emailing Vincent O'Brien as he is the contact listed on the website to enquire about tickets but no reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Have people received anything in the post yet? Got the email about graduation weeks ago but still haven't received the tickets and grad information in the post. Just wondering if they've been sent out at all yet, or if I've just been forgotten about!

I've received mine. Got it two weeks ago or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

doovdela wrote: »
    Amicus on St Paul's Street is a nice place for family! Lovely food and great value for money, portions are just about right. Nice place too and very good service!

+1 for Amicus, def try the seafood chowder! yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is graduation a white shirt only affair? would i look out of place in a black shirt and suit?

Advertisement