Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenroyal Leisure Centre Maynooth

Options
  • 03-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've just moved to the area and am thinking about joining the glenroyal - mainly for the pool use - am pregnant so won't be using the gym.

I'd be taking my little boy swimming once or twice a week and then would probably use the adult only pool at least once a week myself.

They're currently doing a deal of €150 for 3 months which is fine for me as it works out per swim.

However, has anyone any experience of the leisure centre? The staff seemed very nice and it looks good - but personal experiences would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I joined up two months ago on that deal. Only used the (adult) pool so far.
    Staff are nice, and it's never too busy when I'm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i was a member over the winter months, i thought it was great. loved the adult pool. all the other facilities were free as were most of the classes. they might even have some for pregnant women too, though im not sure. good way to meet people too.

Anyway, end of story is I will likely be rejoining this winter. im just a fan of running outside in the summer months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They will also charge you membership for your son.
    It is in examinership at the moment so shorter memberships are probably a good idea.
    We looked in to it but it was a bit expensive for us and the 2 year old and we couldn't bring her swimming after 7 which is the time we would get in from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They will also charge you membership for your son.
    It is in examinership at the moment so shorter memberships are probably a good idea.
    We looked in to it but it was a bit expensive for us and the 2 year old and we couldn't bring her swimming after 7 which is the time we would get in from work.
    It's actually in receivership, to be precise. However, this seems not to be the result of financial issues internal to the hotel itself, but rather debts in the collective ventures of the owners of the hotel (Grehan Bros), for example their purchase of the old UCD veterinary college site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Moonbeam wrote: »

Ah, it's an easy mistake to make. I just pointed it out as receivership may not bode as badly for the future of the hotel as examinership might, especially when it's part of a larger business group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you want to get down to brass tacks it's a NAMA property now.

As for the OP: I was a member for a couple of years. The main pool is fine - family area and has one clockwise lane for swimmers. The adult pool is lanes with one section as a free swim area. Nice pool. Also has a whirlpool section, massage shower, sauna, steam etc. Gym is good - been in better and worse. Staff are well trained.

I'm no longer a member because of price. It's more expensive now for a family to join than before the recession - only gym in the country to put up their prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ditto. I left the glenroyal and go to Liffey Valley now. (Living in Celbridge so between the two). Even taking into account the travel, the Glenroyal was just way too expensive. Paid 350 for the whole year in Liffey Valley!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lambchops65

Hi Guys,

Just reading your posts here. I have a few questions.

I have a free gym in work (city centre) but due to family commitments and other sport commitments I don't really get there mid week. I live in Kilcock and have to make a trek in on the bus/train on a Saturday.

I've been thinking of joining the Glenroyal too as it will cut out my commute on a Saturday (and take me to a non work gym! which is a good thing at weekends lol)

Also learning how to drive and was thinking about parking at the Glenroyal in the mornings whilst getting the train and then going to classes mornings/evenings? Anyone know if this is allowed? My parking is rubbish so defo not an option to try and park at the train station!! (until Im a bit better! lol )

Then have a fairly good rate on at the mo - €500 for single annual membership.

Does anyone know which classes you have to pay for or are they all free?

Another quick question - Does anyone know the depth of the adult pool?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's a 2 hour parking limit in the Glenroyal/Shopping Centre car park and they do clamp sometimes. The car park on the left as you enter is a council car park - you can park there for as long as you want (it's the one with the bottle banks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Another quick question - Does anyone know the depth of the adult pool?

1.4M I think. Shallow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Westgrove in Clane are doing 3 months for 125 at the moment. Also doing a 400 upfront for a year for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toffeepop

I was a member for several years in the good times. Prices never came down so I cancelled. Currently looking at joining Liffey Valley for the winter because of the value.
    Also Glenroyal does not offer a swim/ gym only package.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

I heard NAMA is presently in the law courts allegedly trying to get an Examiner appointed to the Glenroyal Hotel & leisure Group plus the Glenkerrin Homebuilding companies.
    Can anyone confirm if this is more than an allegation?
    If true I wonder will the Glenroyal stay in operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Already a thread on that same topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement