Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going up North.

Options
  • 03-08-2011 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I am not on the Shooting Forum very often. I am going up the north in the next day or two and the B in law has asked me to get an air rifle for his son (birthday in september 18). they are down the country and local farmers will give him permission on their land, so should be no problem with the licence.
    1.Will we get a better deal up North?
    2.Will I be able to buy with driver licence/Pass passport or would I need a licence?
    3.When B in law goes to the Gardai for the licence, will their be a problem with where it came from and will it land on me as I have no licence?
    4.If the answer to no1 is no, where would you suggest in Leinster and as it is a surprise, can the licence follow the Air Rifle?
    Budget is around €300 and would wan't a scope and bag for shooting at targets/empty cans etc?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No1J wrote: »
    1.Will we get a better deal up North?

Possibly. Air rifle shooting is a little bigger up North due to the more relaxed nature of the licensing, but it is not the exact same as the UK.
    2.Will I be able to buy with driver licence/Pass passport or would I need a licence?

Unfortunately not. To buy up the North you need either the appropriate license/permit for the North if you are a resident there, or in your case the appropriate license in the ROI, an import permit from the DOJ, and a visitor's pass from the PSNI to collect the gun.
    3.When B in law goes to the Gardai for the licence, will their be a problem with where it came from and will it land on me as I have no licence?

You will not able to buy the gun for him. He must have the license first, then apply for the import license, then go and collect the rifle himself (or whomever is named on the license).
    4.If the answer to no1 is no, where would you suggest in Leinster and as it is a surprise, can the licence follow the Air Rifle?

It will be much easier for you B in Law to get the license and buy down south. No imports or other documentation needed. Also there is up to 3 months waiting time for the license (although they usually come in quicker) so even doing it down south may not be in time for the young lads Bday. However if he goes looking around a few dealers, then applies for the license he may not have the rifle for his Bday, but could present him with the gun in the dealers, and then collect it when the license comes through.

Also if its for the young lad then he will need his own license to use the gun. If he is under 16 he can get a training license, assuming his Father gets the full license, and then use it with his Da. If he is 16 or over the young lad can get his own full license.
    Budget is around €300 and would want a scope and bag for shooting at targets/empty cans etc?
    Thanks.

Thats a bit lo but no unworkable. It simply means your choice may be limited, but as its his first gun and its only for plinking, etc there will be options for him.

The main points are;
    • Your B in Law must have a full license for the young lad to get his training license.
    • The young lad can get his own license if 16 or over.
    • He must have permission from his Father (if living at home) to store the firearm there.
    • Either the young lad or his Father must have a gun safe n the house to meet the security requirements.
    • Anyone wanting to use the rifle must have a license.
    • Importing is more trouble than it worth to you. For some things buying up North is better, but not in this case.
    A simplier option, and my own personal opinion would be:
    1. Get your B in Law to go to a dealers, pick out an Air rifle and buy it.
    2. Bring the young lad to the dealers on his birthday and show him the rifle.
    3. Get the young lad to get either the full license (if the right age) or get the Brother in law to get the full license and the young lad a training license.
    4. Buy a safe, even second hand as you will need it.
    5. Wait for the license then collect.

The only draw back being if either on is refused the license, but that is not very common, but even then most dealers will refund if the person is refused their license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

No1J wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I am not on the Shooting Forum very often. I am going up the north in the next day or two and the B in law has asked me to get an air rifle for his son (birthday in september 18). they are down the country and local farmers will give him permission on their land, so should be no problem with the licence.

1.Will we get a better deal up North? YES

2.Will I be able to buy with driver licence/Pass passport or would I need a licence? Not in the North AFAIK but you will need a licence/import Licence from here.

Yes BIG problem

Budget is around €300 and would wan't a scope and bag for shooting at targets/empty cans etc?
    Thanks.

Buy the Rifle, leave with Dealer, get import permit from DOJ @justice.ie
    apply for Licence here (you need serial number AND a Cabinet for this WMD this side of the border :rolleyes: )

This side of the Border you are allowed to "zero" at home and Only shoot Targets on an Authorize Range

€300 will get you feck all here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Ezridax beat me too it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

BUDGET €300

You will get an air rifle and scope here for under €300. Shop is Sports Den in Navan, Co. Meath.

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/air-rifles.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Thanks a lot to everyone and your well informed advice, to be honest I was looking for a get out clause as B in law could have gone up himself, lazy bastard, Interesting to hear about Co Meath option, I will pass it on to L.B.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement